Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 06:40 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,216,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Such BS, I swear people just think of idiotic things to say just to say it.

If this is even true, you must truly be psychotic along with your company. Please tell me your company is not a corp and I have shares in it, as I would be thoroughly irked to know a company is dismissing talent on the basis they got sick and missed a day within 90 days of getting employed.

Also, what psychopath starts an entire req fill again because they terminated someone for being sick within 90 days of being employed?

The OP does not need to make any unique impression, he just needs to do what he was hired to do.

I think some posters here just make up BS to sound "hard-core" or what it they think it "ought" to be; very detached from the reality of what it really is.
Its great that you know more about me than me. a real winner I'm sure.

I posted my opinion. That's all. If you disagree that's fine, I certainly don't care. But why show off your ignorance by saying I made it up, and then go on to acknowledge it as possibly true lol. Your logic is lacking.

Its not psychotic its a fact in my experience that these people wont work out. I didn't say I fired them, I said they don't work out. You didn't read too carefully or you would have had better comprehension. These type of people just tend to not work out and become non employees. It is a leading indicator. For the type of jobs i fill a new hire is no big deal. Again you made a poor assumption based on your experience, not mine. If you go back through my posts you will see that i have consistently held this opinion, it's not new. There were about equal numbers on this thread who agreed with me, so did we all make it up? lol You sound like life didn't quite get you where you belong and its everyone's fault but yours...my 2 cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 06:47 PM

212 posts, read 335,688 times
Being new, this will cast you in a potentially bad light. Punctuality is a major issue in many industries nowadays. Not saying that this is you, but the amount of over-dramatization of illness is through the roof. Sniffles="flu". A case of the trots is "stomach virus". A cough is "bronchitis". Strangely enough, all of these are self diagnoses and there is always a reason why a physician cannot be consulted.

My initial advice would be to do whatever you need to do to get to a physician if your illness is really that bad. A doctors note will take some of the suspicion away from you. Otherwise, view how you feel rationally - you may feel like hell but still be able to work. If so, suck it up and move on. It may be unfair on many levels but the rampant amount of employees abusing sick time has resulted in this level of suspicion - good luck.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:02 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,829,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocaseco View Post
Its great that you know more about me than me. a real winner I'm sure.

I posted my opinion. That's all. If you disagree that's fine, I certainly don't care. But why show off your ignorance by saying I made it up, and then go on to acknowledge it as possibly true lol. Your logic is lacking.

Its not psychotic its a fact in my experience that these people wont work out. I didn't say I fired them, I said they don't work out. You didn't read too carefully or you would have had better comprehension. These type of people just tend to not work out and become non employees. It is a leading indicator. For the type of jobs i fill a new hire is no big deal. Again you made a poor assumption based on your experience, not mine. If you go back through my posts you will see that i have consistently held this opinion, it's not new. There were about equal numbers on this thread who agreed with me, so did we all make it up? lol You sound like life didn't quite get you where you belong and its everyone's fault but yours...my 2 cents.
My apologies, I mis-read your post and thought you meant you would terminate them.

"lol You sound like life didn't quite get you where you belong and its everyone's fault but yours...my 2 cents."

I am quite satisfied with my life, you will not see a single post from me complaining about it.

Complaining about issues or something? Yes, but none impact me, not even this subject.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:07 AM

411 posts, read 901,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocaseco View Post
As a general rule as a manager for nearly 20 years, I have observed that if people miss a day in their first 90 days, they ultimately won't make it. It may be unfair, but that's life in a work environment where there are hundreds of people looking to take your job. This is true almost every time, but there a re a few exceptions. I'd say the OP needs to make one hell of an impression when he returns as the odds of him staying employed are against him now.

Well I'm in my 6th month now. Doing great. I am good at my job and they know it. I have not called in since that day but I sure have covered for a few when they called in. I really was ill that day- too ill to work. Lucky for me it was a short thing as I was 80% when I had to go back in 2 days. 100% the day after that. Haven't been sick since, or at least not sick enough to call in. This is one of the best jobs I have had in my life - easily in the top 3. I think I will be here for a long time. They want me to manage but I am reluctant. I am a salesman and I am making some pretty good coin here. Also, absolutely no damage done by calling in back then when I was very sick.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:58 AM

49 posts, read 66,336 times
That's good news! I absolutely hate calling in, particularly because in my office we have a few employees who every time they sneeze miss 3 days of work with a "cold."

Old 07-06-2014, 03:00 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstreak02 View Post
That's good news! I absolutely hate calling in, particularly because in my office we have a few employees who every time they sneeze miss 3 days of work with a "cold."
That does happen but you always hear if the worker who thinks they have the flu but they "can't Mus work" so they show up and rather than have a minor issue of absenteeism, it becomes bigger because more people get sick. Being a carrier and you don't realize you are sick is different but if you are coughing, sneezing and going to the bathroom a lot, it is a different story.

Old 07-07-2014, 04:52 PM

17,599 posts, read 15,279,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortwashingtonkid View Post
Well I'm in my 6th month now. Doing great. I am good at my job and they know it. I have not called in since that day but I sure have covered for a few when they called in. I really was ill that day- too ill to work. Lucky for me it was a short thing as I was 80% when I had to go back in 2 days. 100% the day after that. Haven't been sick since, or at least not sick enough to call in. This is one of the best jobs I have had in my life - easily in the top 3. I think I will be here for a long time. They want me to manage but I am reluctant. I am a salesman and I am making some pretty good coin here. Also, absolutely no damage done by calling in back then when I was very sick.

I think if you asked your boss.. I doubt they would say it hurt you.. But, i'll bet that, if they're being honest, they'd say they had a little voice in the back of their head going "Oh, crap".

The fact that you haven't missed any work since then, and especially if you showed up the next work day still showing some of the effects of being sick.. Alleviated that feeling. I think there had to be that thought that went through their minds, though. And they probably had the thought "I wonder if they're going to another interview"..

Noone can control when they get sick. It could be the first day, the 10th day or the 10th year when you have to take a sick day. They're looking for your patterns, and getting to know you (not relating to sick days alone, but overall) in those first few months.. When you have 1 sick day out of 4 work days.. That looks a whole lot worse than 1 sick day out of 6 months of worktime.

I'd say it hurt you a little bit, but you've more than proven that it was an aberration and at this point, it's like it never even happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment