Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 07:15 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,695,036 times

Advertisements

im sorry i didn't realize you had a fever. thats a different story
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 08:18 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,990,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltheEndofTime View Post
It is very asinine. We are expected to promote health but get yelled at when we take a sick day!

How many sick days does your company allow?
5 per year, but they accumulate if you don't use them.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:25 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,739,979 times
it doesnt look good, but neither does going to work sick, you can go in the hole if you need to take a few days off right off the bat, get over the cold and try to stay healthy. many employers do not like to hire people that smoke or drink because they are proven to have a higher sick rate than nonsmokers/nondaily drinkers.

Last edited by MJ7; 12-19-2013 at 08:34 PM..

Old 12-19-2013, 08:40 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Drag yourself in, sit there, look sick as a dog, until they send you home.
That would be my advice.

It would look very bad to call in sick and many employers have new employees on a probation or trial period -- they can let you go for any reason during this time. Calling in sick as soon as you start will not get you off to a very good start.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:44 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltheEndofTime View Post
I work in healthcare. The last thing I need to do is bring a sickness to an immuno-compromised patient or a newborn baby. That could kill them.
The problem with that, you leave everyone else there having to work and chances are they're just as sick feeling as you are. Very often, co-workers are exposed to the same viruses at the same time -- and because some will call in sick the first time they sneeze, the others have double the work.

Patients also need people there to care for them.

Wearing a face mask will prevent whatever the OP might have from being spread to others.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:09 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,333,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Drag yourself in, sit there, look sick as a dog, until they send you home.
This.

The bottom line is, fair or not, OP's gotta remember that as the new guy, he has to earn his credibility first. New employees are the great unknown. Go in sick, cough up a lung, look miserable, and wait for your boss to ask "Are you alright? Need to go home?" On cue, you say, "I think I can manage" before coming back a half hour later saying, "You know, I think I'll take you up on your offer -- I'll do double duty later in the week/over the weekend/early next week."

Old 12-19-2013, 10:20 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,954,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortwashingtonkid View Post
This is what I have to do. I have a nasty case of the flu and fever. Coughing every 10 seconds. How bad does this look to my employer? I can't remember the last time I called in sick but this is just my 4th day. I would absolutely be putting everyone I work with at risk. I figure that, since I am training, it really doesn't hurt them that I miss today. What do ya think?
Unless you're vomiting, have diarrhea, are seriously injured, or have just had surgery never call in sick.

Old 12-20-2013, 05:07 AM

30,274 posts, read 23,751,941 times
This is so ridiculous. You get sick and you have worker nazis telling you to go in, come hell or high water. For crying out loud, if you are truly sick, STAY. HOME! I don't want your sick germs, nor does anyone else. It IS inconsiderate to drag yourself in to the office when you are sick. It's selfish.

What's even worse is that if the new employee does call in, and does stay home, then he has to worry the whole time whether or not he's going to have a job when he comes back. That added stress is NOT the definition of, "go home and get some rest". You can't rest if you are worried about your job.

Since some people abuse sick time, either because they are hung over, or they just don't feel like working, now companies have these ridiculous policies in place that punish everyone. How about we go back to punishing the people who have been proven to be repeat offenders, and let the truly sick stay the hell home and recover? What a concept.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:48 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,514,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortwashingtonkid View Post
This is what I have to do. I have a nasty case of the flu and fever. Coughing every 10 seconds. How bad does this look to my employer? I can't remember the last time I called in sick but this is just my 4th day. I would absolutely be putting everyone I work with at risk. I figure that, since I am training, it really doesn't hurt them that I miss today. What do ya think?
I would also call the boss personally and let him hear how you cough or things like that. Also ask if you could work from home. Some jobs allow you to use VPN to connect to your computer at work.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:46 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,491,161 times
Funny. If you have a fever as a child, you're not allowed in daycare or school because of possible mass contamination. Yet, an obviously sick adult should come to work and possibly give others the flu, etc. The guy is coughing for crying out loud..probably that hacking cough that is hard to keep contained. You'd make enemies big time around here coming in with anything other than a cold. It would be viewed as selfish. Also, others getting sick means loss of productivity in the big picture.

OP should have a drs' note lined up to cover himself and that should suffice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment