Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 08:47 AM

491 posts, read 472,794 times

Advertisements

Personally calling out 4 days into a new job is way less suspicious than calling in after a month on a Monday. They hired you for a reason- call your boss and let him know what the deal is. These things happen. And judging by your initial post- you seem confident you're a good employee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 09:22 AM

297 posts, read 842,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I have dragged myself to work with stomach flu, intestinal flu, fevers, coughs. Just work thru it.

And those of us who don't have a workhorse of an immune system end up sick as a dog, and off work in a few days.

Really, you're not doing anyone any favors unless you can completely quarantine yourself at work...which most of us can't.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:27 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,977,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I think I'd go in and be sent home before I called in.
They don't truly know you, so yes, they will otherwise not believe you. Too many call in sick when they are not to buy into it, sight unseen.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:37 AM

2,234 posts, read 2,407,216 times
I'm probably too late, but I thought I'd chime in. We live in a work obsessed country and not many employers actually care if you are sick. All they care about is productivity and have very little compassion. However, if I really needed the job, I would at least try to drag myself in there to prove everyone I was truly sick. If they really saw you suffering, they might let it slide and send you home.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:47 AM

4,034 posts, read 2,719,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2blessed2stress View Post

And those of us who don't have a workhorse of an immune system end up sick as a dog, and off work in a few days.

Really, you're not doing anyone any favors unless you can completely quarantine yourself at work...which most of us can't.
Agreed. I had a job where we had an employee who came in no matter what. If anybody else was sick, the boss was quick to say, "But K comes in no matter what...."

At one point when a bug was going around, K came in while he had it, then myself and another employee got it and called in sick. When we got back, our boss brought us into his office to complain that "K comes in when *he's* sick." I think that boss got the surprise of his life when both myself and the other employee shot back with, "And K's the reasons WE got sick!"

Old 12-19-2013, 09:51 AM

297 posts, read 842,166 times
Ooooooh that type of thinking makes me mad. It's so ridiculous.

I had a guy that started a week before me at the current job. We were pretty new and he came in with some sort of nasty stomach virus.

Well, on day 2 the HR director finally got wind that he was sick and sent him home. But not before he INFECTED two of us with his germs.

Gah!

Old 12-19-2013, 10:01 AM

4,034 posts, read 2,719,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2blessed2stress View Post
Ooooooh that type of thinking makes me mad. It's so ridiculous.

I had a guy that started a week before me at the current job. We were pretty new and he came in with some sort of nasty stomach virus.

Well, on day 2 the HR director finally got wind that he was sick and sent him home. But not before he INFECTED two of us with his germs.

Gah!
Ugh, yes.

On the flip side, the job I had right before this one, I developed a cough, which I didn't pay much attention to initially, but it got worse to the point where my coworkers kicked me out one morning and told my boss why when he came in later (I came in earlier). The cough got worse, I went to the doctor, and found out I had strep throat. I was out of the office for three days (I was sick for five, I was diagnosed Thursday, and was sick all through Monday). I came back on Tuesday with my note from the doctor to give to my boss who waved it off, saying, "Believe me--we all know how sick you were. The VP heard you coughing all the way in her office."

Old 12-19-2013, 10:13 AM

389 posts, read 692,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip Mcnealy View Post
Hats off
Keep your hat on.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:16 AM

41,971 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I have dragged myself to work with stomach flu, intestinal flu, fevers, coughs. Just work thru it.
And everyone else gets sick in the process. I bet your co-workers loved you ...

Old 12-19-2013, 10:29 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,491,161 times
I don't know about some of you, but at my job, it is frowned upon coming in when you know you are sick with the flu or any other contagious illness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment