Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 10:11 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,234,400 times

Advertisements

I can't believe people would go to work with flu and fever. Do you guys not give a crap that you would spread it? You work with healthy adults okay... but how many of them have little babies or elderly parents at home too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 11:00 AM

35,711 posts, read 21,076,200 times
I'd go in see boss with a nOTe frm dr and tell them I will be back as soon as possible

Old 12-20-2013, 11:54 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,992,425 times
OP, report in!

Old 12-20-2013, 12:03 PM

560 posts, read 1,130,690 times
i fell on my way to work and i had been there about 4 months i believe and got 7 days off. i was a literally bleeding all over and had to go to the emergency room, but my supervisors were ok with it because well they are nurses and they saw my raw injuries first hand.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:09 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,463,107 times
If you're too sick to go to work, that should be respected by your boss. If you went, you could infect others in the office and that could result in others calling in sick and, thus, effect productivity. Because it's only the OP's fourth day on the job, there is no pattern established that he or she is the type of employee who calls in sick a lot. It doesn't look bad unless it is done repeatedly. Bosses should understand that illnesses happen and that it's the best course of action to get well before returning to work rather than spreading your virus to fellow employees. Bosses shouldn't jump to conclusions about employees until there is a track record.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:11 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,216,629 times
As a general rule as a manager for nearly 20 years, I have observed that if people miss a day in their first 90 days, they ultimately won't make it. It may be unfair, but that's life in a work environment where there are hundreds of people looking to take your job. This is true almost every time, but there a re a few exceptions. I'd say the OP needs to make one hell of an impression when he returns as the odds of him staying employed are against him now.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:37 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,585,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
??

Maybe they are reasonable and accept a doctor's note... I've also seen employers let people go for missing ANY time the first 90 days.

If I were the boss I'd be like "wow, this guy has been here 4 days and is already calling in sick?" As said, it looks bad. Is the employer supposed to care if he's sick?
I absolutely agree with you. I would go to work vomiting before I'd call in sick with just four days under my belt. The best thing to do is go to work so they will see you really are sick, then maybe they'll let you go home early.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:41 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,585,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsMe123 View Post
This is a great idea. Although I wouldn't put it past an employer to tell him not to come in and then let him go anyway
It's not a great idea. Even a doctor's note wouldn't help. People know that doctors will always write a note for you if you bother to go in and pay the fee. It just doesn't prove anything. Believe me, the better thing to do is go in no matter how sick, and let them send you home. That way, you've proved you're sick and gained some sympathy and a lot of respect for coming in anyway. It's a win-win for everyone but the innocent co-workers, but there is always Lysol!

Old 12-20-2013, 01:04 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,136,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I work in healthcare too. The issue is, you have patients scheduled, how much do they like being called, and cancelled for an appointment they have been waiting a month or more for? Being sick, does not equal contagious, especially if you wear gloves, mask, and practice universal precautions. In rural health care, a patient may have travelled 200 miles or more for an appointment.

Some jobs, you just don't call in sick. You make it until you can leave.
I work at two hospitals with very sick people, not outpatient.

Old 12-20-2013, 01:17 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,136,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The problem with that, you leave everyone else there having to work and chances are they're just as sick feeling as you are. Very often, co-workers are exposed to the same viruses at the same time -- and because some will call in sick the first time they sneeze, the others have double the work.

Patients also need people there to care for them.

Wearing a face mask will prevent whatever the OP might have from being spread to others.
That is what float staff, agency, and travelers are for: to fill the holes. And if the person calling off leaves staff short, then that is management's problem, not the sick employee. That is why you should overstaff because 9/10 someone is going to call off from one unit or another. But schedulers would rather staff their minimum and oftentimes leave the units short anyway, even if no one calls off.

Again...is it really worth passing whatever you have on to a very fragile and vulnerable patient? Is it worth it?

I don't think so. I'm around little babies often and I would feel guilty if I unwittingly got them sick even after taking necessary precautions. And don't get me started with cancer patients who are extremely high risk for infection and illness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment