Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 07:55 AM

4,034 posts, read 2,719,381 times

Advertisements

If it makes you feel any better, I once had to call in sick before I even started the job. I had moved from Oklahoma to Colorado, had a start date of X, but during the Oklahoma-Colorado journey, I managed to get a nasty case of bronchitis. I had to call and ask if I could push my start date back a week--they went for two so as not to bring me in the middle of the pay cycle. (It was pretty obvious over the phone that breathing was an issue for me, so they didn't doubt it for a second.) It does happen, unfortunately, and always at the worst time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 07:57 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,157,110 times
Personally I would always give the person the benefit of the doubt. If it keeps happening then there might be a problem.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:03 AM

411 posts, read 901,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Did you appear to be sick at all yesterday?

absolutely. I was coughing all day at work. My boss definitely heard it. It's just that when I got home I ate dinner and then immediately felt feverish, heavy legs, chills, etc. I had every intention of going in but I just don't think I can. I told my boss that I realized it was weird to call in on my fourth day and that I was very very sorry. I hope it works out.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:10 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortwashingtonkid View Post
absolutely. I was coughing all day at work. My boss definitely heard it. It's just that when I got home I ate dinner and then immediately felt feverish, heavy legs, chills, etc. I had every intention of going in but I just don't think I can. I told my boss that I realized it was weird to call in on my fourth day and that I was very very sorry. I hope it works out.
I think that helps your case. Good luck.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:12 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,833,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsMe123 View Post
I know. Isn't it horrible he decided to get sick on the fourth day of work?
There are a lot of people on this forum who want to go back to the good ol' days where the peons lost a hand at work and kept right on pluggin'!

Old 12-19-2013, 08:15 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,515,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post
Calling in sick less than a week at the new job will get things off to a sour note unfortunately... even with a doctor's note.
Exactly. It's not the OP's fault that he got sick. I don't think he will get fired either. However, it may leave a negative impression that the OP will have to overcome in the future. He's only been there four days and the company really doesn't know his character.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:34 AM

3,985 posts, read 5,017,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I have dragged myself to work with stomach flu, intestinal flu, fevers, coughs. Just work thru it.
And THAT is precisely why everyone else in your department got sick, too! I've never been so sick as when someone who should stay at home until their fever breaks comes in and spews germs everywhere. STAY HOME. Get past your fever, THEN come to work.

I get that it's poor timing on the OP's part but he didn't plan it. If the employer doesn't understand and decides later to punish him, then he can deal with that then. It may suck or he may be the best little worker ever because they understood that for one day, it was better he stay home. So many hard azzes around here...no compassion.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:40 AM

393 posts, read 409,725 times
Get a Dr. Note, express grief that you can't make it, volunteer to make up time at night or weekend.

K

Old 12-19-2013, 08:41 AM

5,522 posts, read 8,776,763 times
OTOH you know you could make a bad impression by coming in when you're rally sick. I've worked at places where I did that and manager was like "What they hell are you trying to do? Infect everyone else here? Go home!" Some employers will see that its a sign of bad judgement on your part coming to work when you should be home.

It's a new job so you don't know what you're working with, but I'd call in explain that you don't want to make everyone esle sick too. See what the boss says and do accordingly.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:46 AM

491 posts, read 472,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I have dragged myself to work with stomach flu, intestinal flu, fevers, coughs. Just work thru it.
Hats off
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment