Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 12:45 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,524,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I can't believe they asked you for six years of W2s and you GAVE it to them without question.
But that's why people who willingly give up their very private info, people who eat up with a smile all the BS that is fed to them by their employers will always stay as the knee scraping, obedient little lackeys. The little sheep who provide their W2s, personal tax returns, who worry and cry over job gaps, give up their Facebook passwords, these are the people who stay as the "cog in the wheel" until they retire.

Now the people who pave their own way in life and make their own luck.. and $$$$$ don't give up their private info. They say "No way" and find another job or keep interviewing.

I don't understand, aren't you kind of AFRAID of employers who are so intrusive into your life? Where does this stop>? It's very creepy. At least if they asked at the interview that's one thing. But when they spring it on you after they hire you, I find that to be a dirty tactic. It's very creepy also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 01:50 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,103,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Haha. Once the request is declined, Pitney could fire OP. Well...I would speak to a union rep, if OP's job has a union, or an attorney. I think a simple answer would be, "I really don't feel comfortable with such an unusual and invasive request. Do you realize this information is very confidential? Would you prefer to speak to my union rep/attorney?" Of course this comes off as a bit confrontational but isn't their request confrontational in and of itself?
i was under the impresion this was at a interview so he has no union rep because he doesn't have a job. even if he did have the job what makes you think its union? unions are a minority in the private sector

Old 03-10-2014, 02:15 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,992,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
they asked for mine because they said they had trouble verifying certain previous employers and they wanted to verify pay

it didnt bother me because i needed a job

they hired me after that...it was a large worldwide corp
Same here with my current job. They weren't able to verify one of my jobs because the company had gone out of business. I complied and sent in the W2s they asked for since that wasn't my recent job anyway. They were not trying to verify my salary though; I sent the W2s to a background check company. It didn't cause the employer to change anything about they offer they had made originally.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:02 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
Same here with my current job. They weren't able to verify one of my jobs because the company had gone out of business. I complied and sent in the W2s they asked for since that wasn't my recent job anyway. They were not trying to verify my salary though; I sent the W2s to a background check company. It didn't cause the employer to change anything about they offer they had made originally.

You didn't have the job offer letter they gave you?

Old 03-11-2014, 07:25 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,992,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabottom View Post
You didn't have the job offer letter they gave you?
I did have an offer letter and it said it was contingent on completing a background check so I submitted what the background check company asked for. If I didn't have a sold offer with salary and benefits clearly stated maybe I would have been more hesitant, I don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment