Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 05:08 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,990,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
wow you are really working hard here. I'm done with you...good luck convincing everyone here to be frightened into handing over their w-2's for the past 10 years.
Actually if anyone is fear-mongering it's you and the others who are dreaming up all the imagined illegalities and nefarious reasons behind the request. I said early on I didn't like the idea of asking for W2s, but it does happen, it's not illegal, and there aren't really any great privacy concerns when it's being requested of an employee or candidate who's accepted an offer. I wouldn't expect the request before that stage, and I'd refuse it too at that early point. But that isn't what the OP asked.

With that said, I accept your resignation from the discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 06:21 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,685,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevepwn View Post
The new company I just got hired for asks for all previous w2s from other companies I worked for. They want 2008-2013 w2 forms, is this an odd request? Anyway I sent them 2008-2012 but I can't obtain the 2013 one (because I worked under the table but i can't tell them that).do you think that because I can't obtain the one form it will affect my employement? I already got hired this is like an after hire process...any input??
Tell them to go pound sand. It's none of their business.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:37 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,412,243 times
let me ask a stupid question

have any of you guys ever financed a car from a dealership and the bank wants a recent paystub?

---

also, i can call a company and say "hello, this is john fron xyz inc and i need info on a former employee ms smith"

noone knows who you are and they cant just disclose information to a voice on the phone

most companies at the most will verify work dates and say whether ms smith is rehireable

they cant even say the person was fired

if someone is willing to not get a job over some w2s which has basic info on it well shht you must dont need a job imo

Old 03-08-2014, 06:46 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
let me ask a stupid question

have any of you guys ever financed a car from a dealership and the bank wants a recent paystub?

---

also, i can call a company and say "hello, this is john fron xyz inc and i need info on a former employee ms smith"

noone knows who you are and they cant just disclose information to a voice on the phone

most companies at the most will verify work dates and say whether ms smith is rehireable

they cant even say the person was fired

if someone is willing to not get a job over some w2s which has basic info on it well shht you must dont need a job imo

wouldn't they accept job offer letters with listed salary?

Old 03-08-2014, 07:14 PM

160 posts, read 267,271 times
There are gaps in her employment history that they are trying to verify. Obviously it was lied about in the interview which is why she is worried about not being able to produce a 2008 W-2. They cannot verify employment in that time frame or in any time frame. That is why they want the W-2'S.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:20 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reenale View Post
There are gaps in her employment history that they are trying to verify. Obviously it was lied about in the interview which is why she is worried about not being able to produce a 2008 W-2. They cannot verify employment in that time frame or in any time frame. That is why they want the W-2'S.

Verify a gap?

Old 03-08-2014, 08:34 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,902,933 times
What is the rationale for them wanting it? Sorry, didn't care to filter through 12 pages of bickering. That would be my first question before I started handing over documents.

Can we all agree that what you made in previous jobs is not their business and has no basis on what you are currently worth? What if you were flipping burgers in 2008 to pay for college? Why should that impact your job in 2014?

Secondly, whatever the reason it is, if a company can't trust me that I previously earned what I said I earned (as if I would tell them...) or that I'm sick when I say I'm sick, or that... whatever!... then how can they trust me to speak to customers or to go out on a business call unsupervised?

IMO they are hoarding salary info for their own purposes, but that's just a guess. There's no legitimate reason for them wanting the info. If they want to verify employment, that's what background checks are for. Most companies won't share salary info in a background check, so they are finding a roundabout way to get info. Not cool.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:26 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,866,474 times
It sounds like a strange request to me as well.

Old 03-09-2014, 01:01 AM

160 posts, read 267,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabottom View Post
Verify a gap?
Yes, either they can't get a previous employer on the phone to confirm the person worked there or they have verified employment and the dates are not matching. They are not looking for salary information they are looking for verification that the person was employed on the years they are looking for.

I actually have had a background check company that was hired by the company hiring me call and ask for a grouping of years worth of W-2's because my previous employer was not responding to messages, faxes or emails from them for job verification. I could not pass background check without them having the job verified. I gave them the W-2's so could verify my employment. Got the job was offered about 12k more than salary on W-2's because they were not interested in my salary info, they needed job verification and my previous employees was not responding to them. That is all that is going on here.

Old 03-09-2014, 06:50 AM

198 posts, read 274,059 times
Default W2 Forms

It really bothers me when employers request to see your W2 forms. That probably means that they will base your salary on those forms...or maybe it is just a weird way of verifying employment. Often times, people leave a job so that they can get a raise in salary.

If your new employer squawks, have them phone the HR person in your old office...who can then verify your salary for 2013.

You could show your new employer on the Social Security website your salary information for 2013...and the rest of the years also. Many people do not know that you can do this. The only problem is, you cannot printout that information. They send it to you annually though. Best of luck in your new job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment