Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 09:26 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,663,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevepwn View Post
The new company I just got hired for asks for all previous w2s from other companies I worked for. They want 2008-2013 w2 forms, is this an odd request? Anyway I sent them 2008-2012 but I can't obtain the 2013 one (because I worked under the table but i can't tell them that).do you think that because I can't obtain the one form it will affect my employement? I already got hired this is like an after hire process...any input??
I know what Pitney does and have phone interviewed with them before I got my "real" job.
The position is related to onsite, contract office/document work?
They never mentioned to me anything about W2's to me *YiKes*
My persona opinion is weird, but I stick by it. Anyone who uses Taleo software for hiring process is a McJob. You will be moving on at some point in time, anyway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 09:28 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,519,093 times
There is no way in hell I would hand over my W-2s. My husband spent his career in executive level positions and was NEVER asked for such info and would have engaged an attorney had he been asked.

My BIL works for Pitney Bowes - has for years - and he has never been asked for such info. Permission to run a credit check, yes. W-2s, no.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:55 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,990,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
There is no way in hell I would hand over my W-2s. My husband spent his career in executive level positions and was NEVER asked for such info and would have engaged an attorney had he been asked.

My BIL works for Pitney Bowes - has for years - and he has never been asked for such info. Permission to run a credit check, yes. W-2s, no.
Engage an attorney? To what end?

IMHO, checking credit is way more intrusive and irrelevant than asking for a copy of a W2.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:24 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,437,038 times
My suggestion is to provide a w-2 with all the financial information on it redacted with black marker. That should be enough to verify employment which is the only information the employer has any business having.

Old 03-09-2014, 01:02 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,346,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
My suggestion is to provide a w-2 with all the financial information on it redacted with black marker. That should be enough to verify employment which is the only information the employer has any business having.
it is even more nefarious to me that they are asking for it after an offer has been made. Why? It's probably to collect salary information across the board. If enough people comply they have their own internal controls for which to push their averages down in what they offer and negotiate on certain positions.

As has been discussed (well, maybe not here as I don't think the naysayers here have bothered to do research on this) the w-2 does not list your total benefit package. It just lists your salary and exemptions (rather, how much you actually worked that year).

What a person accepts for salary at job a can have absolutley no bearing on job b. This is something I tried to explain to the company that wanted to see my pay stubs. First, since I was trying to decide between my current company and the new one, this was an instant strike against the new one, but I also knew their benefit packages at the new one were going to be nothing like my new company. I explained that my salary at my company would not be what I'd expect with them as my stock options would go away, along with new/worse health insurance, less pto, etc. including a new company with fewer prospects in my field for long term employment. Apples and oranges.

There are really no good reasons to ask for w-2's or pay stubs that favor the employee, it is in favor of the company.

what these companies fail to realize is they are losing if they ask this information especially if the person (like I did) was in a secure job already (With better benefits and ethics).

I make a good salary and it would be to my benefit to be honest about it and I've been continuously employed, but I'm interviewing the company just as they are interviewing me and this is a bad way to get started with each other.

Companies have no business hiring experts if they don't know how to evaluate them. In my field you can't fumble or lie your way through an interivew, that is unless the person doing the interview has absolutley no relation the feild.

Enter: foreign recruiters and the type of body shop contractors that were trying to get desperate people to paid as low as possible.

I wasn't done with this topic, I'm done responding to people who obviously have some connection to recruiting and want people to believe this is a common and ethical practice by coming after each person who posts the common reaction to this, which is "wtf"

Even most HR departments are not this base.

Old 03-09-2014, 01:14 PM

624 posts, read 763,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
right. ok. also don't forget to bend over and stick your arse out so they can have more fun with you. - and while your at it, also jump off the Empire State building when they tell you to jump. ( are you for real<>?)
And make sure you submit blood, urine, saliva, hair, skin, sperm and fecal matter for drug testing, too.

I would flip these a**holes the bird, but I understand times are tough...

Old 03-09-2014, 01:29 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times
All the jobs I had in the past 16 years has never ever requested a W-2 form

Old 03-09-2014, 01:33 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,346,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabottom View Post
All the jobs I had in the past 16 years has never ever requested a W-2 form
I'm trying to remember if this was even asked for when I went through my security clearance process. I don't think it was. I remember once in my early career I needed my w-2 for something but I can't remember what it was.

I have however given blood samples and drug tests lol.

Old 03-09-2014, 03:15 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
I'm trying to remember if this was even asked for when I went through my security clearance process. I don't think it was. I remember once in my early career I needed my w-2 for something but I can't remember what it was.

I have however given blood samples and drug tests lol.

yes those tests are required for some jobs

Old 03-09-2014, 06:07 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,031,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevepwn View Post
The new company I just got hired for asks for all previous w2s from other companies I worked for. They want 2008-2013 w2 forms, is this an odd request? Anyway I sent them 2008-2012 but I can't obtain the 2013 one (because I worked under the table but i can't tell them that).do you think that because I can't obtain the one form it will affect my employement? I already got hired this is like an after hire process...any input??
I can't believe they asked you for six years of W2s and you GAVE it to them without question.

Did they ask you for this while on the job or before you come into work for them?

Either way, I'd do what another poster suggested and get a fake one from Office Depot, since they want to be nosey.

I never would have given it to them. Asking for W2s is very, very invasive. If you really need the job, then give them a fake one. They're ass>>>les.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment