Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 07:28 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,293,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevepwn View Post
ya they are a large organization that's why i'm not too worried about them being a scam. THey are nationwide
Not like any person working at large organizations work any scams. Who is this person you are sending this information to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 07:48 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,346,539 times
Quote:
The new company I just got hired for asks for all previous w2s from other companies I worked for. They want 2008-2013 w2 forms, is this an odd request? Anyway I sent them 2008-2012 but I can't obtain the 2013 one (because I worked under the table but i can't tell them that).do you think that because I can't obtain the one form it will affect my employement? I already got hired this is like an after hire process...any input??

I would have said no effing way.

This happened to me ONE time from a very backward company, I told them no way, and luckily I had another job lined up (They thought I was bluffing). they still offered me the job but I turned it down anyway since they were lacking ethics and were not to be trusted.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Send it to them. Remember that they can "let you go" at anytime, if you are in a "at-will" employment state.
ridiculous. this is personal information and no one should be doing this, ever.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
Your company is asking for PERSONAL data they DO NOT have a right to have. Tell them no, and blow gas in their faces!! It's NONE of their damn business how much $$$$ you made at your previous employer.
its not just your $$ either, its your gender, if you are single how many deductions you have...all the crap they are not ALLOWED TO ASK

I was asked for pay stubs once (and I told them to go to hell) that also has benefits, pto etc.

RIGHT

Old 03-06-2014, 07:53 PM

541 posts, read 861,562 times
Quote:
The new company I just got hired for asks for all previous w2s from other companies I worked for. They want 2008-2013 w2 forms, is this an odd request? Anyway I sent them 2008-2012 but I can't obtain the 2013 one (because I worked under the table but i can't tell them that).do you think that because I can't obtain the one form it will affect my employement? I already got hired this is like an after hire process...any input??
An after hire process? Seems kind of sneaky to me. They hire you then zing you with an unusual request after that if you don't comply with, then you'll be let go? I've had people tell me that they've been requested to present college transcripts and diplomas, but not w2's. And not after being hired.

I also file electronically and don't keep any paper records. I'd be screwed if that was requested of me.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
ya they are a large organization that's why i'm not too worried about them being a scam. THey are nationwide
it pretty much is a scam, to get you to give up all your personal details to them so they can ********* over. It's not illegal to ask for this and just an extremely unethical way to get your personal information that IS illegal to ask for.

the more people that give in the more they get away with it. It is in NO WAY required of you. And they will probably still extend an offer anyway, its just one (And not very creative and totally obvious) way to low ball you among other ghastly things.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:56 PM

6,590 posts, read 4,982,629 times
I'd never expect this at a company the size of PB. I've been in the workforce FT since 1986 and have never been asked that.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantamount View Post
An after hire process? Seems kind of sneaky to me. They hire you then zing you with an unusual request after that if you don't comply with, then you'll be let go? I've had people tell me that they've been requested to present college transcripts and diplomas, but not w2's. And not after being hired.

I also file electronically and don't keep any paper records. I'd be screwed if that was requested of me.
I was also asked for paystubs after a verbal offer from this one awful company who had won a contract I was on, they had a bunch of trapped people and felt like they could. Lucky for me I had a job already.

it is the ONLY time its ever happened to me. I refused, I think they did give me the w2 option after I said no, lol.

they also sent me an offer letter with a "mistake" in it for the salary hoping I'd sign it before catching it.

that was my last straw and I told them to go eff themselves.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:58 PM

541 posts, read 861,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
it pretty much is a scam, to get you to give up all your personal details to them so they can ********* over. It's not illegal to ask for this and just an extremely unethical way to get your personal information that IS illegal to ask for.

the more people that give in the more they get away with it. It is in NO WAY required of you. And they will probably still extend an offer anyway, its just one (And not very creative and totally obvious) way to low ball you among other ghastly things.
Don't you think that this company was just lazy and cheap by not wanting to pay for or do any background checks? By demanding all those w2's they would have some proof of truth?

Old 03-06-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantamount View Post
Don't you think that this company was just lazy and cheap by not wanting to pay for or do any background checks? By demanding all those w2's they would have some proof of truth?
no, they won a contract and were trying to give everyone a minimum of a 10% pay decrease (my offer letter was actually 30% less cause they had to guess what I made).

I have a security clearance that was in effect at the place I was working at the time, for the contract they won so I would have been staying in the same job/role just with that company.

so no, it was just total bull@#$
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment