Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 01:47 PM

1,488 posts, read 1,968,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Sorry, but being an Army warrant officer is not a real sacrifice for a single man (and not that much of one for a married man).

You might have thought it was a sacrifice, but there are a lot of people who'd love it and who do love it. If you had become an Apache pilot and then had the nerve to go on the military forum to complain how miserable you were, you'd have been run off the board.

My point is that you consider a sacrifice what many others think is a blessing, yet you belittle what others think is a sacrifice. If you have the right to thiink being an Apache pilot is a sacrifice, then others have a right to consider what they think are sacrifices to be sacrifices.
The whole point of my post was someone might have to do WHAT THEY CONSIDER a sacrifice to get ahead. So how did I belittle anyone for their sacrifice if my whole point was saying EXACTLY what you just said? Feel free to quote something I have said that directly belittled anyone's sacrifice.

Here's part of my previous post:
"But you will have to make major sacrifices. However, exactly where you want to get in life is totally dependent on your goals and the amount of effort you exert."

Basically, I said that someone's own personal goals will determine their sacrifice. If that doesn't sound like I'm saying that someone has the right to decide what they consider a sacrifice; I don't know what else to tell you.

Last edited by griffon652; 03-27-2014 at 02:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I am sure if someone in the military had that attitude, they would be chewed out alive. Gomer Pile's treatment in Full Metal Jacket would be a cakewalk compared to that.
Your mistaking "being miserable" as having a direct correlation with "having a bad attitude." I HATED a lot of things I have had to do at my job before. Working 7 days a week for 6 months straight with an average of 89 hours a week comes to mind.

But that doesn't mean I had a bad attitude while I was doing it. Part of being an adult is doing things you don't like or don't want to do. Having a bad attitude only magnifies the impact the hated task has on you.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:35 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
Your mistaking "being miserable" as having a direct correlation with "having a bad attitude." I HATED a lot of things I have had to do at my job before. Working 7 days a week for 6 months straight with an average of 89 hours a week comes to mind.

But that doesn't mean I had a bad attitude while I was doing it. Part of being an adult is doing things you don't like or don't want to do. Having a bad attitude only magnifies the impact the hated task has on you.
Not really. The military is a 24/7 job so you would need the power face for that period. You may have off time compared to 87 hour work weeks but it is a lot harder to fake it 24/7. If a drill sargent even so much as had an shed of doubt that you hated being there for basic, I would imagine being Gomer Pile would be the least of your out anyone else's problems.

Old 03-28-2014, 03:00 AM

255 posts, read 402,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I don't see this. My last company had tons of interns and people right out of college (it was in clean tech) and I was blown away by the ability of new grads we hired. Worked long hours (and eligible overtime people wouldn't even clock all the hours they were working knowing their supervisor wouldn't approve but worked anyway to get the job done well). Always plugged in. Great computer skills. Worked fast. The only flaw I really saw is some were too much of a perfectionist, and some lacked soft people skills, but that is to be expected. It was really rather intimidating at times for me (I'm in my 40s), but it was great. Most moved up fairly quickly.
That's against the law. And I certainly don't think working overtime and purposely not getting paid for it is something to be applauded.

If your supervisor is aware that people are working overtime and not clocking it in then he is breaking the law.

Old 03-28-2014, 04:11 AM

28,679 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartleby9 View Post
That's against the law. And I certainly don't think working overtime and purposely not getting paid for it is something to be applauded.

If your supervisor is aware that people are working overtime and not clocking it in then he is breaking the law.
But it happens. I've done it. I've even had my boss tell me, "Stop doing that" and did it anyway. Might be a personal problem from being retired military, but I've had some jobs that took overtime to get done, and failure would have been a worse option for me in the long run than not getting paid.

Old 03-28-2014, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Not really. The military is a 24/7 job so you would need the power face for that period. You may have off time compared to 87 hour work weeks but it is a lot harder to fake it 24/7. If a drill sargent even so much as had an shed of doubt that you hated being there for basic, I would imagine being Gomer Pile would be the least of your out anyone else's problems.
Well, of course the drill sergeant knows you hate basic. They're counting on you hating basic--that's what motivates you to do your best to get through it.

Old 03-28-2014, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
The whole point of my post was someone might have to do WHAT THEY CONSIDER a sacrifice to get ahead. So how did I belittle anyone for their sacrifice if my whole point was saying EXACTLY what you just said? Feel free to quote something I have said that directly belittled anyone's sacrifice.

Here's part of my previous post:
"But you will have to make major sacrifices. However, exactly where you want to get in life is totally dependent on your goals and the amount of effort you exert."

Basically, I said that someone's own personal goals will determine their sacrifice. If that doesn't sound like I'm saying that someone has the right to decide what they consider a sacrifice; I don't know what else to tell you.
But you refused to make a "sacrifice" that many others consider a good deal, so you can't really denigrate anyone else refusing to make what they consider a sacrifice.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
But you refused to make a "sacrifice" that many others consider a good deal, so you can't really denigrate anyone else refusing to make what they consider a sacrifice.
I know my posts were long so you probably missed some parts of it. I didn't refuse to make the sacrifice. The military was my plan B. My plan A worked out so I didn't need to enlist. If it hadn't I would have joined.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:01 PM

255 posts, read 402,814 times
Quote:
But it happens. I've done it. I've even had my boss tell me, "Stop doing that" and did it anyway. Might be a personal problem from being retired military, but I've had some jobs that took overtime to get done, and failure would have been a worse option for me in the long run than not getting paid.
I've been in that situation too. I worked the overtime and took the overtime. The company was asking employees to get the work done in a normal business day when it was impossible. When the supervisor reprimanded me and refused to pay the overtime, I filed a wage claim with the labor board. I won. When they threatened to fire me over it I hired a lawyer and sued them. I won again.

It may surprise some people but in some states in this country we actually do have some semblance of worker rights.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:19 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartleby9 View Post
It may surprise some people but in some states in this country we actually do have some semblance of worker rights.

Those states are becoming rarer and rare every year it seems. Unfortunately. We're obsessed with a race to the bottom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment