Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 01:54 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,745,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
One problem is that in our society, we don't feel comfortable shaming these anti-social people who tend to go around making everyone they come in contact with miserable.
It's not about feeling morally comfortable with shaming these people.

But it's the fact that we can't shame these people without them retaliating through the legal system (a process that costs money that will end with a decision costing money)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 02:03 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
when items like more wages and benefits and more respect start showing up a lot for unskilled jobs which are not unionized i think that the law especially civil rights laws will be used to attempt to better those jobs.
i think drafting people to work at mcdonalds might be a bit too much but i see your point.
i think that people want the services and power that unions afforded them but they dont want unions anymore and they are trying to use the courts to get those benefits and rights in other ways.

Old 07-23-2014, 02:07 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
What a ridiculous statement. I see plenty of young people working these "dirty" jobs.
Geezus. Use google. We are down 50% from just 20 years ago.

16% of teens work.

Old 08-05-2014, 02:31 PM

40 posts, read 65,637 times
the problem is self entitlement. if a persons an a hole then there an a hole and whether they work in retail or not they will show their true colors because they figure the employee has to take it if they want to keep their job. i have worked in retail most of my life and some of the worst customers are former employees.the other thing is employees have very little support or backing from the company so even if you follow company procedure at the moment all it takes is for a customer to lie on you complain about anything you did or didn't do and that is what the employee has hanging over their head all the time. we have all heard the customers always right my money pays your salary if you dont want to do your job thats your problem and these people walk thru the door looking for fault.

Old 08-05-2014, 03:06 PM

7,927 posts, read 7,820,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
when items like more wages and benefits and more respect start showing up a lot for unskilled jobs which are not unionized i think that the law especially civil rights laws will be used to attempt to better those jobs.
Huh? Civil rights has nothing to do with this. Some unskilled jobs were unionized and that is why they are automated.

Robots could soon replace fast food workers, study says - Your Community

Old 08-05-2014, 06:49 PM

475 posts, read 900,946 times
Growing up immersed in the auto industry I saw time and again good reasons for humans to be replaced by robots. Now that the unions abuse of power has helped diminish good entry level jobs, the left is encouraging the young to march in the streets for $15 an hour burger joint jobs. Good luck with that, the rest of us will go to college instead.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:55 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,397,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Geezus. Use google. We are down 50% from just 20 years ago.

16% of teens work.
Maybe that is true. I still personally see a lot of younger teens working...then again, I see a lot of older people doing stuff that were typically "teen jobs", such as delivering newspapers.

Most of the teens in our neighborhood do jobs like babysitting, which wouldn't fall on the employment rolls anyway. Not sure how any of them would hold a regular job with how involved many of them seem to be in sports, school activities, etc.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:45 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
It still may not make people more compassionate. There are customers who will complain if they have to wait behind one person for 3 minutes even if they have worked in these industries. And countless people have already spent time doing this work in their lives either past or present and may be impatient, grumpy or still look down at people in these positions.

I spent 8 and a half years in retail before moving to the hotel business where I have been for 9 years. I don't think a mandate would change anything. For me personally I have a patient nature and since time spent dealing with the public actually for me allowed me to walk in their shoes and I like to be the customer that tips well and is in and out with a smile unless I am treated poorly. Rarely happens though. Moods are contagious so next time you come to the cashier smile and say hello. Usually you will find the same in turn.
I agree. A mandate won't change anything. The real problem is that many Americans have found it acceptable to become a real jerk to everyone. I actually had one lady scream at me in my crappy customer service job. She works at a deli at a local grocery store.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:10 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,990,032 times
I do know that, after being a well-compensated executive then going entrepreneur and opening a cafe where I had to do a ton of "low-level" jobs myself, I am much nicer to service people these days. After the first couple of years, when I developed a staff I trusted, I empowered them to "fire" customers when necessary. It only happened three times in the resulting years, but in every instance, that "firing" was well earned. If someone is consistently being a complete jerk to your staff and company, it's often a good idea to tell them to go somewhere else.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:20 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,745,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
I agree. A mandate won't change anything. The real problem is that many Americans have found it acceptable to become a real jerk to everyone. I actually had one lady scream at me in my crappy customer service job. She works at a deli at a local grocery store.
It's an entitlement mentality.

What's funny is, in my experience, old people and business owners usually are the ones who have the entitlement mentality the worst. They think just because they run **** in their company (or companies), or just because they've been on this earth for so long, people should bend over backwards to their every demand.

This is followed by wives of relatively wealthy men and children of relatively wealthy parents (they don't know any better because they live such sheltered lives with their money).

Meanwhile, it's usually young people and those who don't have much of a pot to **** in who are most humble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment