Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 01:57 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times

Advertisements

Interesting answers, but this is the United States, and we don't "force" people to take certain jobs; there's something called the constitution that stands in the way of that. Also, if everyone were "forced" to take such jobs, there really wouldn't be enough of them to go around even after business owners fired longer-term employees and others who actually need the job to make room for this "mandate."

The thought of forcing people to do something so they'll act the way you want them to is a pleasant fantasy, but the reality of this would be a disaster. It probably wouldn't have the desired effect, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 02:09 PM

35,691 posts, read 21,049,622 times
They would not change, they are the very same ones who say 'See I got out" I took night classes etc etc,,,and if you still there- you deserve it... Don't expect compassion from your fellow American- seems like something that was lost a long time ago,

Old 07-20-2014, 03:14 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I think it depends to an extent. There are times when someone is rushed/hurried and cannot wait for that and would get frustrated. I've had the no sales to get change if I accidentally closed it earlier than I should have. It happens. The issue is in the case of Walmart employees having to radio their floor manager to approve of something. I even had a case last black Friday weekend of an employee complaining that a manager overuled their dismissal of an ad that lasted through 11:59PM Saturday on Saturday. Now that's an employee that really deserves to get complained about. Not the on from the original post who had trouble scanning a vaccum (a really tough thing when they are a new employee.)
Yes, at Walmart, we have to have the CSMs give us permission to open our cash drawers. We use the keypad on our register which shows up on their hand helds and they just have to push a button. I've also had CSMs ignore my requests and that's why I always carry money in my pocket. I refuse to make people stand there forever till a CSM 'notices'. I've also had CSMs delete my request...mostly for change. It's aggravating and frustrating sometimes. But who gets the flack? The cashier, of course.

The Black Friday cashier was in the wrong. But I've had managers make ME look like a fool too by approving something that shouldn't have been. Case in point...we will ad match any store on their milk price but every store has "limit two" in their ad. So I get people coming up with eight of them and want the ad match price. I'll do it on two but not on eight. I've actually had them tell me, "So and so store lets me have eight". So? Go to so and so store and get them then! I guess they think I don't know any better.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:23 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
This question comes from a conversation that my family had when I was helping my older brother move into a new apartment today. There was an incident at a Target where a customer complained pretty vocally about a new hire and his problems on the cash registers (while there was only three other registers open with lines about three/four people deep.) I heard the woman and my mother and my brother both said she was entirely out of line. (Me I think it was shared blame but still unenviable for the new worker based on my experiences in a new retail environment.) My brother thought that if people had to work retail or fast food for a year people would be more compassionate.

I actually disagreed with this because I think people will either use the logic of their way is the best an doing things otherwise isn't good (even if other companies don't do things the way the person thought) or they will just still be ignorant and want to be right. I do think it is a decent idea but it wouldn't change people acting like all cashiers are mouth-breathering direct decedents of homo-erectus.

I want to know what everyone else thinks about if it's a good idea to mandate working a year in fast food or retail so everyone walks a mile in their shoes and if it will make people appreciate what they do.
Considering a entry level job normally would hire a ton of high school students there would be no need to mandate anything. Most of us have had a crappy entry level job. My first job was loading hay bales for three bucks a hour. My second job was a cashier for 3.75. After I got my first paycheck I said this is bs and it drove me to do more. So I did. I don't give anyone a hard time because of their job duties.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:26 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
If the recipient class were forced to wake up and be out of the house by 8am doing something.....anything constructive, would they respect the taxpayer more?

Old 07-20-2014, 05:28 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
What if every FF worker got calls when off duty with questions about work every day for a year they would understand and respect why higher paid people are higher paid?

Old 07-20-2014, 06:38 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,779,770 times
Personally, I think my years spent in FF have made me less tolerant of stupidity on the other side of the register. I'm more understanding of situations beyond their control(I get it, your ran out of french fries because someone just ordered a ton, or your service is a bit slow because 4 people called out) but I've also dealt with a lot of people in those roles and you quickly find out that there are employees who are there as a stepping stone and employees who can never do anything better because they can't even do a job like this correctly.

Having watched those people make life miserable for both their co-workers and their customers, I have no tolerance for people who cause the problems. I do feel bad for the people who have to put up with them though.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:30 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,647,640 times
Quote:
If People Had To Work 1 Year (Or More) in Retail or Fast Food, Would People Respect Them More?
I respect all people who work in retail or fast food or otherwise "wait on me." I am courteous and try to be as kind as possible. This is just not a problem to me; it never has been. I understand that everyone has bad days. That is all.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:02 PM

21,873 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Quote:
This question comes from a conversation that my family had when I was helping my older brother move into a new apartment today. There was an incident at a Target where a customer complained pretty vocally about a new hire and his problems on the cash registers (while there was only three other registers open with lines about three/four people deep.) I heard the woman and my mother and my brother both said she was entirely out of line. (Me I think it was shared blame but still unenviable for the new worker based on my experiences in a new retail environment.) My brother thought that if people had to work retail or fast food for a year people would be more compassionate.

I actually disagreed with this because I think people will either use the logic of their way is the best an doing things otherwise isn't good (even if other companies don't do things the way the person thought) or they will just still be ignorant and want to be right. I do think it is a decent idea but it wouldn't change people acting like all cashiers are mouth-breathering direct decedents of homo-erectus.

I want to know what everyone else thinks about if it's a good idea to mandate working a year in fast food or retail so everyone walks a mile in their shoes and if it will make people appreciate what they do.
Your brother is either a cashier or proof that it isn't just cashiers that are "mouth-breathering direct decedents of homo-erectus."

Doesn't matter what the job is, incompetent employees shouldn't be actually performing the job. Ultimately, that's on management and not the employee. I wouldn't react the way Target Lady did. If I complained, it would be to management and not an adult temper tantrum.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:01 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Your brother is either a cashier or proof that it isn't just cashiers that are "mouth-breathering direct decedents of homo-erectus."

Doesn't matter what the job is, incompetent employees shouldn't be actually performing the job. Ultimately, that's on management and not the employee. I wouldn't react the way Target Lady did. If I complained, it would be to management and not an adult temper tantrum.
My brother did retail work and a little cashiering over his lifetime as well as restaurant work as a host before getting his current job as phone system call center troubleshooter. It's with a fairly small firm. I may rag on him for being foolish at times but I wouldn't confuse him with a direct decedent of homo-erectus.

I think that the issue is there are a lot of issues out of some hands like in Taco Bell the register froze while my parents and I got dinner (after dropping off more items for my brother) and the registers were down (as well as an issue with the Happier Hour pricing for items) it seemed like the issues for once wasn't some "mouth breathing direct decedent of homo-erectus" who forgot a taco, gave the wrong type of taco, put lettuce on a no-lettuce order, etc. that you are made believe work there based on your and others' experiences.

I do agree the woman was out of line. I only heard a little of it and she was yelling how the store lost two purchases because of that mouthbreather. (Not her exact words but you can imagine someone on here saying that.) Apparently her card wasn't being read (she said the employee scanned it backwards but I didn't exactly see her do it, I only saw the vacuum box issue that I said is hard because some similar items can have multiple scans or you have to check every surface because there's no uniform spot.) I've had issues with credit card swyping when I've done retail. The machine doesn't read it, the contact is broken by a jarring, the strip is demagnetized, the card is old, the card is overdrawn and the customer hit cancel so they have to do it all over are common issues on top of not showing ID if there's no signature on the back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment