Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 11:14 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
This question comes from a conversation that my family had when I was helping my older brother move into a new apartment today. There was an incident at a Target where a customer complained pretty vocally about a new hire and his problems on the cash registers (while there was only three other registers open with lines about three/four people deep.) I heard the woman and my mother and my brother both said she was entirely out of line. (Me I think it was shared blame but still unenviable for the new worker based on my experiences in a new retail environment.) My brother thought that if people had to work retail or fast food for a year people would be more compassionate.

I actually disagreed with this because I think people will either use the logic of their way is the best an doing things otherwise isn't good (even if other companies don't do things the way the person thought) or they will just still be ignorant and want to be right. I do think it is a decent idea but it wouldn't change people acting like all cashiers are mouth-breathering direct decedents of homo-erectus.

I want to know what everyone else thinks about if it's a good idea to mandate working a year in fast food or retail so everyone walks a mile in their shoes and if it will make people appreciate what they do.
I think everyone should be forced to work at least 1-2 years in a customer service role.

Too many people lack humility, and this would be a humbling experience for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 11:46 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,057,672 times
I have witnessed both employees and customers being jerks; and I don't believe it has anything to do with where one is standing (behind or in front of the counter); it's the individual who determines their attitude, not the job.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:48 AM

210 posts, read 246,117 times
In theory it might help a few but a lot of these behaviors are ingrained within that person. Their job title won't affect that.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:01 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfProfessional View Post
There's a better solution to these behavioral issues. Everyone should be required to spend 2 years in the military. It will whip people into respectable adults.
Yeah and if they are in active duty they can end up with mental and/or physical disabilities. I had this conversation with my father. That and we have a small armed forces as it stands now. We typically cut military when there isn't a war because there's no need for it and the R&D to come from it is often the victim.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:15 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,649,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
This question comes from a conversation that my family had when I was helping my older brother move into a new apartment today. There was an incident at a Target where a customer complained pretty vocally about a new hire and his problems on the cash registers (while there was only three other registers open with lines about three/four people deep.) I heard the woman and my mother and my brother both said she was entirely out of line. (Me I think it was shared blame but still unenviable for the new worker based on my experiences in a new retail environment.) My brother thought that if people had to work retail or fast food for a year people would be more compassionate.

I actually disagreed with this because I think people will either use the logic of their way is the best an doing things otherwise isn't good (even if other companies don't do things the way the person thought) or they will just still be ignorant and want to be right. I do think it is a decent idea but it wouldn't change people acting like all cashiers are mouth-breathering direct decedents of homo-erectus.

I want to know what everyone else thinks about if it's a good idea to mandate working a year in fast food or retail so everyone walks a mile in their shoes and if it will make people appreciate what they do.
Horrible idea. If everyone had to work retail or fast food, then employers would have a pool of indentured labor and would pay them even less than they do now and treat them even worse.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:20 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Horrible idea. If everyone had to work retail or fast food, then employers would have a pool of indentured labor and would pay them even less than they do now and treat them even worse.
How much different is that from what we already have with low wages and if not raises that don't keep up with rising prices?

Old 07-20-2014, 12:21 PM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times
My first job when I was going to college was as a waitress and it's something I still wouldn't be able to do well. That was decades ago but, because of it, I pay close attention to wait staff and I understand the demands and pressures of their job.

I can tell which ones are good, which are new and struggling and which are experienced. Any of them who are giving their best try get politeness and a good tip from me.

It's the old "walk a mile in their shoes" saying in action.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:22 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,687,353 times
I worked 4 year in the school cafeteria and I don't think it garnered respect from my peers.

I did earn respect from the cafeteria manager and a several teachers and this is why he promoted me to cashier... the first student to ever hold that position.

Old 07-20-2014, 01:37 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,044,826 times
I worked as a cook in a hotel restaurant during summers while I was in college. It's long hours, and mostly low pay. There is a high rate of alcoholism amongst the cooks and especially the guys above the cooks. There are a lot of criminal type people with serious problems, and also a lot of very recent immigrants. I'm not sure what I learned, exactly, other than don't work in food service unless you are born to do it. I guess I did learn a bunch of kitchen skills that have been helpful throughout my life. I'm not one who would normally be rude to service people and I don't think my experience changed anything about that.

Old 07-20-2014, 01:40 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
I think people would definitely be less likely to fly off the handle. After working in call centers, I try to be nice and patient with CSRs. Barking at the guy answering the phone when it rings for ten bucks an hour isn't going to solve any policy issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment