Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 08:33 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times

Advertisements

This question comes from a conversation that my family had when I was helping my older brother move into a new apartment today. There was an incident at a Target where a customer complained pretty vocally about a new hire and his problems on the cash registers (while there was only three other registers open with lines about three/four people deep.) I heard the woman and my mother and my brother both said she was entirely out of line. (Me I think it was shared blame but still unenviable for the new worker based on my experiences in a new retail environment.) My brother thought that if people had to work retail or fast food for a year people would be more compassionate.

I actually disagreed with this because I think people will either use the logic of their way is the best an doing things otherwise isn't good (even if other companies don't do things the way the person thought) or they will just still be ignorant and want to be right. I do think it is a decent idea but it wouldn't change people acting like all cashiers are mouth-breathering direct decedents of homo-erectus.

I want to know what everyone else thinks about if it's a good idea to mandate working a year in fast food or retail so everyone walks a mile in their shoes and if it will make people appreciate what they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 08:42 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post

I want to know what everyone else thinks about if it's a good idea to mandate working a year in fast food or retail so everyone walks a mile in their shoes and if it will make people appreciate what they do.
No. Our government would have to have a pretty serious overhaul in order for such a law to be within constitutional guidelines.

Things like this aren't just "mandated."

Old 07-20-2014, 04:14 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
It still may not make people more compassionate. There are customers who will complain if they have to wait behind one person for 3 minutes even if they have worked in these industries. And countless people have already spent time doing this work in their lives either past or present and may be impatient, grumpy or still look down at people in these positions.

I spent 8 and a half years in retail before moving to the hotel business where I have been for 9 years. I don't think a mandate would change anything. For me personally I have a patient nature and since time spent dealing with the public actually for me allowed me to walk in their shoes and I like to be the customer that tips well and is in and out with a smile unless I am treated poorly. Rarely happens though. Moods are contagious so next time you come to the cashier smile and say hello. Usually you will find the same in turn.

Old 07-20-2014, 04:17 AM

45,396 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Most people's first job is in retail or food service so the rudeness isn't lack of exposure.

Old 07-20-2014, 04:54 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
My first job was ff and I don't recall people being rude to me so much as I remember what a dysfunctional environment the restaurant was. Still, at 14-15 years old it taught me life lessons I have never forgotten.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:08 AM

291 posts, read 505,968 times
I also think that it's entirely up to the individual. I used to work at Disney and surprisingly, the most difficult guests I've dealt with were the employees themselves when they visit the park with family. Working there was the ultimate testing of my patience... I was surprised at how fake I can act in the name of customer service. But back to the point, some people are just pricks in general. These same pricks work in retail and I've met many of them. I honestly think that if you work in retail, at least learn how to put up a front and act like you give 2 shts about your job. On the other hand, good customer service can only take you so far... some people will find a fault in you no matter how hard you try. I think people in general just need to lighten up.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:30 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloopers View Post
I also think that it's entirely up to the individual. I used to work at Disney and surprisingly, the most difficult guests I've dealt with were the employees themselves when they visit the park with family. Working there was the ultimate testing of my patience... I was surprised at how fake I can act in the name of customer service. But back to the point, some people are just pricks in general. These same pricks work in retail and I've met many of them. I honestly think that if you work in retail, at least learn how to put up a front and act like you give 2 shts about your job. On the other hand, good customer service can only take you so far... some people will find a fault in you no matter how hard you try. I think people in general just need to lighten up.
I agree about some people needing to lighten up. We will all have days we get stuck on line at a store, miss our bus or train or just wake up tired. Its amazing how some spend much of their time upset or angry. Lifes too short. My cousin once said "some people cannot be happy unless they are upset " and I realized this was true.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:34 AM

1,935 posts, read 4,777,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
This question comes from a conversation that my family had when I was helping my older brother move into a new apartment today. There was an incident at a Target where a customer complained pretty vocally about a new hire and his problems on the cash registers (while there was only three other registers open with lines about three/four people deep.) I heard the woman and my mother and my brother both said she was entirely out of line. (Me I think it was shared blame but still unenviable for the new worker based on my experiences in a new retail environment.) My brother thought that if people had to work retail or fast food for a year people would be more compassionate.

I actually disagreed with this because I think people will either use the logic of their way is the best an doing things otherwise isn't good (even if other companies don't do things the way the person thought) or they will just still be ignorant and want to be right. I do think it is a decent idea but it wouldn't change people acting like all cashiers are mouth-breathering direct decedents of homo-erectus.

I worked for a bit more than a year in retail and I think it is true that you're likely to be more compassionate toward front-line retail grunts if you yourself have been one for a significant amount of time. However, you won't be more compassionate toward unmitigated bullcrap. For example, when I was a cashier, occasionally I would forget to give the customer his change before closing the cash drawer. If I did that, I could hit the "no sale" button and pop the drawer open to get his change. I was at Wal-Mart two days ago and the cashier forgot to take out my change from the cash drawer before closing it. She actually had to radio a customer service manager and get it remotely approved that she could open her cash drawer to give me my change. Without that approval, it would remain locked. Now, I know that she personally had no control over that system... but it is still incredibly stupid. I have no tolerance for stuff like THAT. But at least I know what these cashiers go through, for what piddly little salaries they make, and I try not to add layers to their crap cake.

Old 07-20-2014, 06:09 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
I think it is a double edged sword. I definitely have more compassion most of the time. However there are times when I see someone in the position and think "they really should do xyz to make this experience better".

Working as a waitress for years I find going out to restaurants it is almost impossible to please me. (Ridiculous I know) that said I never complain and still tip 20%+++.

Old 07-20-2014, 06:16 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
No. Our government would have to have a pretty serious overhaul in order for such a law to be within constitutional guidelines.

Things like this aren't just "mandated."
Thing is many of us did work in such jobs which is why we no longer want to work such jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment