Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2014, 07:10 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,224,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
313---that's Detroit, right? I was like that, super-employee, but couldn't get past go in Detroit, things only looked up for me when I moved out! But I agree, many people never get what they deserve.......
Well, Detroit explains it. There's not much of an economy there.

People get what they deserve or they move on (like you did). It's as simple as that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 07:19 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,771,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
313---that's Detroit, right? I was like that, super-employee, but couldn't get past go in Detroit, things only looked up for me when I moved out! But I agree, many people never get what they deserve.......
That was pretty much my point. While personality responsibility is definitely necessary to make the right choices when it comes to the circumstances you can control, luck is still a factor that you can't control.

You can't control where or when you were born, if your company goes bankrupt, if your bosses would rather award higher positions with higher pay to their friends & family, etc.

And yes, 313 is Detroit. My goal is to leave Michigan, but it's just finding the right "out" so to speak, especially in this economy.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:04 PM

1,522 posts, read 3,008,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
You live on your savings and take freelance work or cobble together part-time jobs beneath your intelligence until you're 62. And then you file for your Social Security in desperation, knowing it will mean you have less for the rest of your life. But by then you've already sold your nice house and are used to driving the car you bought ten years ago. And you thank God you aren't in the group of people who will inevitably be told they have to be 70 before they can collect.
That's scary. And it seems to be more and more common. I know someone - a capable person - who applied for around 150 jobs and got something like 3 interviews and no offers out of it. I think it's a wake-up call to those in my age bracket to start planning way, way ahead, because coasting from job to job doesn't go on forever. It's almost like basing your career on your looks except you're basing you're career on your age.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Well, Detroit explains it. There's not much of an economy there.

People get what they deserve or they move on (like you did). It's as simple as that.
I think it's bizarre that people sum up regions made up of millions of people as that there simply isn't much of an economy.

Sure, some metros are better than others, but you mean to tell me that in an area with over 5 million people that there aren't jobs floating around for most normal people?

I'm not sure where people get this stereotype that somehow because manufacturing has evaporated that nothing is going on in a region. Honestly, who with a college degree would be looking to work in manufacturing anyway?

In Northeast Ohio, where I am, it's not hugely different from Detroit (although I would posit a bit better). Unless you work in a highly specific position, there is likely to be something for most people sooner or later.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:21 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,148,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBetterThanAll View Post
This concerns me. It's hard enough as it is, and having been laid off before, what do you do when you keep working and then get laid off at 45, or 50, or 60? And nobody wants you? Then what?

You can avoid certain things by getting degrees or being a top performer or whatever people throw out there, but you can't avoid getting old (other than dying). If you're 55 and are the one without a chair in employment musical chairs...
My old employer went bankrupt and laid off everybody. There were over 5,000 employed all without jobs in 60 days.

Of my former co-workers in their 45+ bracket, they changed companies but did the same thing. Some guys got higher level jobs, they went from non-management role to AVP or project manager role.

The ones that didn't to be managers, became management consultants. They get to rub elbows with management without the hassle of employee management.

Others moved across the country for higher paying jobs.

The top performers decided to start a new company from scratch. They took equivalent roles as senior vice presidents or chief officers, but they probably took a paycut. Startups don't pay much. The company is still growing and hiring, after 6 years. Those old guys and gals are probably making more money now.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:
I think it's bizarre that people sum up regions made up of millions of people as that there simply isn't much of an economy.

Sure, some metros are better than others, but you mean to tell me that in an area with over 5 million people that there aren't jobs floating around for most normal people?

I'm not sure where people get this stereotype that somehow because manufacturing has evaporated that nothing is going on in a region. Honestly, who with a college degree would be looking to work in manufacturing anyway?

In Northeast Ohio, where I am, it's not hugely different from Detroit (although I would posit a bit better). Unless you work in a highly specific position, there is likely to be something for most people sooner or later.
You are a million people too high. They have over 4 million in the metro area. They may have had 5 million at one point, but they were decimated by automation and the migration of auto manufacturing to the bible belt. All the new auto factories and their suppliers are being built in the South.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
You are a million people too high. They have over 4 million in the metro area. They may have had 5 million at one point, but they were decimated by automation and the migration of auto manufacturing to the bible belt. All the new auto factories and their suppliers are being built in the South.
It had a population of 5,318,744 as of the 2010 census and covers an area of 5,814 square miles (15,060 km2). Lenawee County was removed from the CSA in 2000, but added back in 2013. With the adjacent city of Windsor, Ontario and its suburbs, the combined Detroit–Windsor area has a population of about 5.7 million.

Metro Detroit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Consequently, even if it was 4 or even 3 million, there are enough jobs in the mix for standard occupations that something will arise. The accountant who says they can't find a job in a metro of 5 million people is full of it, or there is something wrong with them.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:48 PM

Quote:
It had a population of 5,318,744 as of the 2010 census and covers an area of 5,814 square miles (15,060 km2). Lenawee County was removed from the CSA in 2000, but added back in 2013. With the adjacent city of Windsor, Ontario and its suburbs, the combined Detroit–Windsor area has a population of about 5.7 million.

Metro Detroit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Consequently, even if it was 4 or even 3 million, there are enough jobs in the mix for standard occupations that something will arise. The accountant who says they can't find a job in a metro of 5 million people is full of it, or there is something wrong with them.
You are mixing up CSA(Combined Statistical Area) with Metro(politan Statistcal Area). The two designations are not interchangeable. Metros usually encompass the adjacent counties. CSA will add counties that are not adjacent to the cities also.

The Office of Management and Budget (OMB), a federal agency of the United States, defines the Detroit–Warren–Livonia Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) as the six counties of Lapeer, Livingston, Macomb, Oakland, St. Clair, and Wayne. As of the 2010 census, the MSA had a population of 4,296,250 with an area of 3,913 square miles (10,130 km2).

The nine county area designated by the OMB as the Detroit–Ann Arbor–Flint Combined Statistical Area (CSA) includes the Detroit–Warren–Livonia MSA and the three additional counties of Genesee, Monroe, and Washtenaw (which include the metropolitan areas of Flint, Monroe, and Ann Arbor, respectively). It had a population of 5,318,744 as of the 2010 census and covers an area of 5,814 square miles (15,060 km2). Lenawee County was removed from the CSA in 2000, but added back in 2013.[2]

No there are not 5 million + jobs available, even if you include all of the other counties also. There are over 2 million people employed in the area. That's 3 million retired, children, or can't find a job.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
My old employer went bankrupt and laid off everybody. There were over 5,000 employed all without jobs in 60 days.

Of my former co-workers in their 45+ bracket, they changed companies but did the same thing. Some guys got higher level jobs, they went from non-management role to AVP or project manager role.

The ones that didn't to be managers, became management consultants. They get to rub elbows with management without the hassle of employee management.

Others moved across the country for higher paying jobs.

The top performers decided to start a new company from scratch. They took equivalent roles as senior vice presidents or chief officers, but they probably took a paycut. Startups don't pay much. The company is still growing and hiring, after 6 years. Those old guys and gals are probably making more money now.
I don't think the person who originally commented on it nor myself literally meant that anyone who gets laid off at 45+ will never again find employment.

However, the trend seems to be quite clear that it is more difficult to find equivalent employment in your 50s or 60s than for someone in a lower age bracket.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:57 PM

20,947 posts, read 19,096,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Ding-ding! There's people with college degrees working at fast food restaurants today! And? Saddled with student loans they'll never be able to pay off!
They should have made different decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment