Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2014, 04:28 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonGecko View Post
What middle class? That's the whole point - the middle class is being squeezed down to the working poor, and the working poor are being squeezed down to flat out broke. Its an ongoing process. The middle class is what has kept this country stable for so long, in so many different ways. This attitude of "employers should be allowed to pay whatever they want, in whatever working conditions they want" is taking us back to the days of sweat shops, children locked in to work 18 hour days, and the company store. That isn't socially or economically stable.

Only if the working class goes along with it. The writing on the wall is easy to read; the woring class would be hastening their own demise by doing business with ordering kiosks.

My goal is to open a burger joint called Humanburger; no newfangled ordering machinery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 06:17 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,992,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjdemak View Post
So its societies fault she chose not to advance?
Not completely. I certainly blame the so-called top of the food chain people. In the US, they don't want the working class to make much. Have you ever seen the crazy difference in pay from top to bottom?

I think it is getting pretty ridiculous this gap. These big ego folks are all about the same. Just greedy and want to think they are worth that kind of money. The McDonalds CEO makes a little less than a million a month. Sorry, but no one is worth that unless they create or own. How many people could be living better if he was getting paid 1/2 that? These so-called leaders will go down in the history books as greedy jerks because that is what they all are. It isn't about the land of opportunity anymore. It is the land of greed and a bunch of jerks that care nothing about themselves.

Old 08-03-2014, 07:30 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,304,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Yes, common sense is in order. People keep saying she has 4 kids. A $15/hr isn't enough for a family of 5. Why do they bring that up?

The single mother of 4 started her McDonald's job in 2004. She didn't benefit from those significantly hire wages back then, either.

The minimum wage in the late 90's and early 2000's was lower, so employers were paying less. If you adjust the minimum wage for inflation, it's a wash. The early 2000's was a recession.
I'm not referring to this person but making a point in general. Not everyone has 4 kids. There are single people who can't afford to support themselves making minimum wage. Sorry not everyone can be a doctor, lawyer, Fortune 500 company CEO, engineer etc. Someone has to clean the toilets and sweep the floors. I don't think those people should suffer because they are doing hard labor jobs. They should still be able to afford health care, enough food, and shelter. I appreciate the service they do and they should be paid a living wage. This is 2014, there is no reason for people to go poor at the expense of greed. We can do better as a nation.

Old 08-03-2014, 07:40 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,304,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonaldsmanman View Post
I work at McDonald's, and we make $8 an hour. The store manager gave me one 8-hour day last week, but year my job performance is supposedly "superb". Even today $8 jobs are becoming harder and harder to find. I've applied to ever fast food, pizza joint, and grocery store in a medium sized city close to Miami, and I've received ONE call asking me to work a job that had a 3+ hour commute. florida sucks.
Exactly, people don't understand how difficult it is to get a job when you are not well educated AND have unique skills. They just assume $15 dollar/hr jobs are plentiful.

Old 08-03-2014, 07:42 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Not completely. I certainly blame the so-called top of the food chain people. In the US, they don't want the working class to make much. Have you ever seen the crazy difference in pay from top to bottom?

I think it is getting pretty ridiculous this gap. These big ego folks are all about the same. Just greedy and want to think they are worth that kind of money. The McDonalds CEO makes a little less than a million a month. Sorry, but no one is worth that unless they create or own. How many people could be living better if he was getting paid 1/2 that? These so-called leaders will go down in the history books as greedy jerks because that is what they all are. It isn't about the land of opportunity anymore. It is the land of greed and a bunch of jerks that care nothing about themselves.
McDonalds restaurants are not on the list of "largest listed firms". Not anywhere close. The president/owner whatever also doesn't make anywhere near that multiple.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:36 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
McDonalds restaurants are not on the list of "largest listed firms". Not anywhere close. The president/owner whatever also doesn't make anywhere near that multiple.
McDonalds is an example, but we are talking about a culture. Greed and aggression. It is our new society. Sad, but true. Nice is out and replaced by mean and aggression. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. Guess it is time to get used to bullies and nasty people. Yahoo! U-S-A! U-S-A!

Old 08-03-2014, 08:39 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
McDonalds is an example, but we are talking about a culture. Greed and aggression. It is our new society. Sad, but true. Nice is out and replaced by mean and aggression. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. Guess it is time to get used to bullies and nasty people. Yahoo! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I have not experienced this. Sure, it's competitive and I have to try hard to put my best foot forward to get my bonus. But mean bullies? I'm sure they exist, but they aren't the norm.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:29 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,425,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
But you miss my point. If she were really that good of a writer, then why hasn't she found a job where writing was a core function?
Because maybe she needs more flexibility to take care of, oh I dunno, her children? It's really not hard to understand that not everyone has the option to do a 9-5 office job.

And have you ever tried to get a "writing" job? They are very difficult to come by and usually dominated by people with connections, which this person does not seem to have. There are a ton of people who write well, but very very few of them are in a job in which writing is the core function.

I'm consistently baffled by the way so many people do not comprehend how privilege, opportunity, and just plain blind luck factor into being able to have a better life than many others. People think somehow they just "deserve" their privileges and have no idea how many things were just handed to them in life.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:34 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,123,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
Because maybe she needs more flexibility to take care of, oh I dunno, her children? It's really not hard to understand that not everyone has the option to do a 9-5 office job.

And have you ever tried to get a "writing" job? They are very difficult to come by and usually dominated by people with connections, which this person does not seem to have. There are a ton of people who write well, but very very few of them are in a job in which writing is the core function.

I'm consistently baffled by the way so many people do not comprehend how privilege, opportunity, and just plain blind luck factor into being able to have a better life than many others. People think somehow they just "deserve" their privileges and have no idea how many things were just handed to them in life.
Even if she didn't take a 9-5 job, there are many jobs paying more than $7/hr especially in the restaurant industry. There
are millions of people making more than $7/hr that work outside the 9-5 standard shift in the restaurant industry.

There's more money to made working happy hour and dinner shift than 9-5. A tip on a dinner tab for 2 people($25-30 food and $15+20 drinks) could easily match the $7 from her job. If she has only 2-3 customers from 4pm to midnight, she can make at least $14 in tips.

That's not even including the weekends or other customers. The tabs are even higher on weekends when you throw in loads of drinks.

Last edited by move4ward; 08-04-2014 at 12:42 AM..

Old 08-04-2014, 07:43 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I have not experienced this. Sure, it's competitive and I have to try hard to put my best foot forward to get my bonus. But mean bullies? I'm sure they exist, but they aren't the norm.
Do you live in the midwest? There could be better regions in the US, but I don't know. As someone who invests, I look at my investments and the CEO's stealing as much as they can from everyone, with about no dividends and not much in the way of growth. Outsourcing everything and squeezing as much profit as they can, but that profit goes in their pocket, not the shareholders. Probably best to invest in Japanese companies, where you might get a return. Need to look into that more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment