Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2014, 03:34 PM

107 posts, read 122,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Don't believe any of this.

The McDonalds Corporation CEO makes just above $11mm in salary

An interns at the company average $20/hour.

The pay is fair.
All these new jobs created. Yea, nobody mentioned they were all at fast food places and Walmart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 04:19 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Regardless of the previous f*ck ups people have made, I do think people working minimum wage jobs should make more.

People make dumb decisions, but $8 an hour is not enough to live on for a parent. Most people would be on welfare.
If the minimum wage levels were raised, it would just make everything more expensive. Pay the grocery store clerks more money, then the prices of groceries would increase. And just because they seem to have more buying power, rents would go up too.

It's sheer stupidity for anyone to remain for ten years at a fast food place making so little money. Does she plan to work there all of her life? Then is she going to complain that there is no pension plan for her?

Old 08-06-2014, 06:42 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Just wanted to add that no one is forced to have student loans. By using the Pell grant and any state grants, a person can attend a local community college and then a local university for free. it will take longer but it would be less than 10 years.

A friend of mine just completed her BS and it took her 9 years.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:11 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,273,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
THIS. ^

Go get a vocational or associate degree. Heck, some associate degree jobs are starting at 50-60k and are in high demand. (Welding, Nursing, Medical Tech, etc). The min. wage jobs at McDonald's should not be your life long career goals. There's really no excuse to not work towards a degree, especially in 10 years. At the very least you can probably end up in an Administrative or Customer support position making $15-20 an hour. An associate's degree or certificate would also make you more marketable for industrial/factory positions that also typically pay $15-20 a hour.
What about the people who are not smart enough and all they can do is min wage type work? If everyone who worked at McDonalds quit and got a degree many stores would be closing since they would not have enough workers to stay open.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:16 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,273,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foques View Post
Speak for yourself.
If one is inept in putting themselves into the "advantage" area, it is one's fault.

People like you make me very sad that there is no negative adjustment to karma on this board, i'd neg you into oblivion (MISCERS?!)

My family and I moved to US 10 years ago.
after paying all that needed to be paid to get a chance to escape the ****hole of a world we lived in, we had roughly $500 to our names.

Yes, I didn't get a chance to go to college; I had to get a fulltime job as soon as I could; before then I was juggling Highschool, and 3-5 PT jobs.
I learned from my dad - we both worked our assess off to build our life here.

I'm not saying we're swimming in money now, but we're doing alright for ourselves; and much, much better than we would have, and better than many whom we've met on the way.

You know what our "exceptional talent" was?
Common sense, logic, and hard work.
Lucky break? We went knocking on doors, sending in resumes, looking to meet new people and build our network.

Anyone who says that the hard work doesn't pay off is full of it, and is simply looking for something to blame for not doing well.
/rant
Advantages like being born in the right family, being born with intelligence, there actually being a job when you get out of school. Some people do not have those advantages. So your family came into this country and all they are doing is okay? That does not sound like much of a success story. Common sense, logic and hard work is great but is no assurance of anything. Many people work their butts off and get no where working does not mean you will be rewarded. Of course these delusional "bootstrapper" people think they got where they are by themselves with no help from anyone and because they can do it anyone can.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:36 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
And when is the last time you worked a minimum wage job or fast food job, and for how long?

I worked min wage for a year and a half before getting promoted into sales at a car wash

Old 08-06-2014, 08:41 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I'm not dressed for success and no brokerage firm would take me seriously.

It may be your opinion of yourself and your attitude that prevents you from getting there. There are positions that suits aren't required or even expected. The series 7 isn't a hard as a lot of people make it out to be you just have to dedicate some time

Old 08-06-2014, 09:36 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Just wanted to add that no one is forced to have student loans. By using the Pell grant and any state grants, a person can attend a local community college and then a local university for free. it will take longer but it would be less than 10 years.

A friend of mine just completed her BS and it took her 9 years.

Using the Pell grant my eye. I had to do it the hard way by working crummy low-wage jobs.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:51 PM

522 posts, read 721,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
Advantages like being born in the right family, being born with intelligence, there actually being a job when you get out of school. Some people do not have those advantages. So your family came into this country and all they are doing is okay? That does not sound like much of a success story. Common sense, logic and hard work is great but is no assurance of anything. Many people work their butts off and get no where working does not mean you will be rewarded. Of course these delusional "bootstrapper" people think they got where they are by themselves with no help from anyone and because they can do it anyone can.
what in the world are you talking about?

Yes, I was born in a fantastic family; my father is a hero to me - and many others.

lol at being born with intelligence is a damnable advantage. and GFY if that does not sound like much to your highness. We are PROUD of what we have achieved here. We had nothing there when we left, or here when we came.
go crawl under your rock, and stop blaming everyone in the world for not being smart enough to figure out how to make your life better, don't put other's accomplishments down just because you're incapable of achieving things.

Old 08-07-2014, 12:22 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,836,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Financial aid, MFA. My dysfunctional family situation made me ineligible for aid. I was living with lower middle class relatives in NYC, too much income to qualify. They were claiming me as a dependent but not providing financial support; my father paid them for my support but he had legal issues from which he was running, and couldn't claim me as a dependent.

This whacked me just as I was about to graduate; an entry-level IT position went to someone with related experience in a Work-Study job - a campus job for which i was financially ineligible, so I got unrelated experience cleaning toilets and delivering pizzas.
I had an issue with financial aid at 18 too.

I was 18 but Fafsa considers anyone over 18 but under 24 a dependent.
My parents refused to fill out the forms because,well,i was 18 and an adult legally.
I was also independent financially at 18,as i worked and paid my own bills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment