Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 12:58 PM

18,478 posts, read 31,653,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
She is also 27 and has four kids. I would bet money it's not with the same man.

In 10 yrs she could have earned a degree even going to school part time and have a much better job. Instead of popping out kids.

Talk about an entitlement mentality.

I may have agreed with you on this before, but if I didn't, I do now.

PS: thats a guaranteed win
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 08:38 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,022,597 times
James E. Causey - Fast-food workers want $15 an hour? Let's start with $10.10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee Wisconsin Journal Sentinel
I think $15 an hour is too much, too fast, but the minimum wage needs to rise
Majority opinion agrees with a $10/hour minimum wage at this current level of inflation and expense.

There are apartments that can be rented for $800/month; at a $10/hour wage you can afford it if you tighten belts long enough to increase your worth to an employer. If you're a single individual, you can rent a room from someone for around $500/month.

Very few people would say the current minimum wage is acceptable. But only extremists would say that $15/hour is the answer. Economists almost universally agree that $10/hour is where it should be.

Also, the people squawking the most about the situation are those with multiple kids out of wedlock. That's telling, whether they want to admit it or not.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:11 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,515,746 times
She has 4 kids and makes minimum wage after 10 years at the same job? I assume she is barely worth keeping from the employer aspect, or she would have received raises or promotions over the years.
How much child support is she getting?
What has she done (apparently nothing) to better herself?

Old 09-05-2014, 05:06 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,576,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
So what?

Who are you, the paternity police? It's not your business who anyone else has kids with. Sheesh!

It's WAY more entitled to think you get to pass judgement on someone else's personal choices than it is to want to be paid a living wage for one's labor.
It is our business because we are all affected every time a woman opens up her legs and pops out a kid with no father. Don't tell me Angel Adams doesn't affect us.

Old 09-13-2014, 02:00 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,954,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
It is our business because we are all affected every time a woman opens up her legs and pops out a kid with no father. Don't tell me Angel Adams doesn't affect us.

How disgusting. I can't believe people act like this.

Old 09-13-2014, 05:21 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,313,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
So what?

Who are you, the paternity police? It's not your business who anyone else has kids with. Sheesh!

It's WAY more entitled to think you get to pass judgement on someone else's personal choices than it is to want to be paid a living wage for one's labor.
You're an idiot. Why would someone even consider having a child while working minimum age let alone 4? Oh but we're the bad guys because some **** couldn't keep her legs closed. Please.

Old 09-13-2014, 05:51 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,044,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
It's a burger flipping job, what does she expect it to pay ? These are not career positions, nor meant to be, most people do it to get to another better paying job or career or are young and entry level.

Ok, let's say McD starts paying them all $15 an hour, what will that do to the prices of food there ? Would any of us pay twice as much for our Happy Meal ? I wouldn't. There are no locks on the door keeping her working there, she can leave any time she wants.

Let's not make McD the bad guy here, there are literally thousands and thousands of other companies, usually in retail sales, that don't pay much more than that. It is just the way it is and if you don't like it you don't take the job.

Don
In most of the Scandinavian countries McDonald's pays more than $20 per hour and just for example, a Big Mac is about .50 more than the average price in the US.

And you are right. McD's is just one of many that need to start paying a living wage. Years ago all that door to a career stuff was right on. Not any more. America is a country full of first world wants and needs with mostly third world jobs. Since so many of our middle class jobs have gone the way of the dinosaur it's no longer students and SAHM's working at these positions.

And all that part time baloney to avoid paying bennies? No more. Employees without benefits should be paid an even higher wage.

Old 09-13-2014, 11:24 PM

7 posts, read 13,390 times
What do you expect to make dealing with fast food? McDonald is a high school and college work place. Get a real career. Some idiots were protesting in my city asking for McDonald employees to make ELEVEN dollars a hour. Please, how hard can it be to flip a burger 5 hours in advance before you actually sale them? I do it every cookout. Quit your job at mcdonalds and go be a wedding planner or something. geez.

Last edited by Materialsno; 09-13-2014 at 11:36 PM..

Old 09-13-2014, 11:34 PM

7 posts, read 13,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.2089 View Post
You're an idiot. Why would someone even consider having a child while working minimum age let alone 4? Oh but we're the bad guys because some **** couldn't keep her legs closed. Please.
I believe you should make at least 60k a year to have 1-2 children. 75k for 3. 80k for 4.

Old 09-13-2014, 11:49 PM

65 posts, read 47,763 times
The problem with the $15/hour is...
I'm not against raising the minimum wage but for McDonalds $15 per hour is too much. Working at McDonald's doesn't require that much skill, and I feel that depending on the difficulty and skills needed for a job determines its hourly wage/salary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment