Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2014, 10:22 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,747,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
It would be nice but it won't happen. I don't know what the answer is.
Ok, fair enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 10:44 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,770,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foques View Post
Did you speak the language?
Did you have roof over your head?
Did you have food in your fridge?
Did you have a vehicle to take you places?
Did you know anyone around you?
We didn't.
Yes.
Sometimes.
No.
No.
No.

Did you have a mother supporting you? A father supporting you? Siblings? Any family at all supporting you? Any community at all supporting you?
I didn't.
There was no "we" for me, as it is for most people who end up trapped in minimum wage jobs.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:45 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,770,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foques View Post
why are those incapable people should be getting paid more?
In the business world, I strongly believe that person should not be getting paid more than they're worth.
What do you believe is the actual productive worth of unskilled labor, in set dollar per hour figures?

Old 08-07-2014, 10:53 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,952,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
What do you believe is the actual productive worth of unskilled labor, in set dollar per hour figures?
Depends on the type of unskilled labor (is it physically demanding, exposed to temperature extremes, etc.).

Old 08-07-2014, 10:55 AM

522 posts, read 722,147 times
Quote:
Yes.
Sometimes.
No.
No.
No.

Did you have a mother supporting you? A father supporting you? Siblings? Any family at all supporting you? Any community at all supporting you?
I didn't.
There was no "we" for me, as it is for most people who end up trapped in minimum wage jobs.
How was my mother/father supposed to support me? We all came here -only 3 of us. my routine was HS-PT job 1 - PT job 2 - PT job 3 - I would shower and sleep in School.

We knew nobody here, we spoke no language, we learned of the community that could provide support only once we already had more or less decent jobs - because we were helping that community.

Quote:
It depends on the value the said unskilled labor yields.
As a general, blanket statement, minimum wage is enough. If it isn't enough to survive, one should either adjust the way of living or better themselves.

Most of the people are just lazy to learn a skill; and I see no reason why laziness should be rewarded.

Old 08-07-2014, 01:02 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,356,633 times
Quote:
Untried unskilled laborers? It is ZERO. People are worth what they can provide the company with. A rule of thumb that I have worked with is people should bring in 3X what they are paid as a minimum requirement. Imagine how much happier people would be if they were told that the minimum wage did not exist anymore. Imagine how much more productive workers would be if they were now paid 1/3 of what they bring into a business. Instead of people fighting to make $15 an hour they could prove to the company that they are worth the $15 an hour by producing at least $45 of value. For the main streem media following readers, value means income to the business and not sales of the product. Lets say that a BigMac meal cost $7 but has an income to the franchise of $1.00 (And I have no idea what is the profit margin for a BigMac meal) The $1.00 devided by all the people that provided that Bigmac meal. Lets say that 4 people were involved with the process, the person making the food, walking the food over to the counter, the person taking the order, and the person cleaning up. So now we are down to $0.25 To justify making $15 an hour you would need to sell 180 Big Mac meals an hour. If someone knows what the actual profit margin is then it would be fun to complete the numbers. We can adjust sales to see if it is a viable thing to pay someone $15 an hour to work at McDonalds.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:24 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Untried unskilled laborers? It is ZERO. People are worth what they can provide the company with. A rule of thumb that I have worked with is people should bring in 3X what they are paid as a minimum requirement. Imagine how much happier people would be if they were told that the minimum wage did not exist anymore. Imagine how much more productive workers would be if they were now paid 1/3 of what they bring into a business. Instead of people fighting to make $15 an hour they could prove to the company that they are worth the $15 an hour by producing at least $45 of value. For the main streem media following readers, value means income to the business and not sales of the product. Lets say that a BigMac meal cost $7 but has an income to the franchise of $1.00 (And I have no idea what is the profit margin for a BigMac meal) The $1.00 devided by all the people that provided that Bigmac meal. Lets say that 4 people were involved with the process, the person making the food, walking the food over to the counter, the person taking the order, and the person cleaning up. So now we are down to $0.25 To justify making $15 an hour you would need to sell 180 Big Mac meals an hour. If someone knows what the actual profit margin is then it would be fun to complete the numbers. We can adjust sales to see if it is a viable thing to pay someone $15 an hour to work at McDonalds.

Not all employees work in a 'profit center' (e.g. manufacturing, sales) where their contributon can be easily quantified. Customer service (e.g. tech support that's not sales) doesn't produce direct revenue; what are those employees worth?

Old 08-07-2014, 05:42 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,165,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
So which society would you prefer:

1. A society where the wealth is shared through higher wages/better fringe benefits by private sector employers.

2. A society where the wealth is shared through generous welfare benefits by the government?

3. A society where all of America become one big Detroit?

Either way, whether you like it or not, 1 of the 3 scenarios listed is what we're going to have in America...

Which is a good reason to consider retirement abroad.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
This woman isn't going to change America overnight to improve her situation so we should discuss as is, not as what we want.
She shouldn't be trying to change America, she should be trying to improve herself.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Customer service (e.g. tech support that's not sales) doesn't produce direct revenue; what are those employees worth?
We all know that it costs more to recruit new customers than to retain existing ones, so it follows that anyone whose job is to prevent churn is worth the amount of revenue they retain, plus the amount of additional revenue secured via upselling, cross-selling, and contract/subscription renewals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment