Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2014, 05:57 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,408,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Ask for a raise, or go to school for more skills.
Company can't afford a raise. You're on food stamps so where does this money come from for you to go to school?

Now what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 06:07 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,747,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Mr Rockstar is the son of Michael Savage; perhaps he had a head start financially with help from his parents?
Not at all.

He was one of those bootstrappers who did it all on his own and "started from the bottom." The fact that his father is a wealthy celebrity didn't matter at all.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:41 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,954,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Company can't afford a raise. You're on food stamps so where does this money come from for you to go to school?

Now what?
Student loans. You're telling me someone who is on food stamps can't take out student loans? I'm sure there are grants that a person can try to get when they are in this position.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:19 AM

1,522 posts, read 3,002,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
Student loans. You're telling me someone who is on food stamps can't take out student loans? I'm sure there are grants that a person can try to get when they are in this position.
You've got to be able to go to class. If you're working full time and have kids, it is hard for anyone to fit that in their schedule let alone if you are living in poverty.

Then there is the flip side of the coin: a bump in road and she has to drop out of school, and people are denigrating her for racking up thousands in student loans with no degree and no way to repay them.

It's not as easy as it sounds.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:23 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBetterThanAll View Post
You've got to be able to go to class. If you're working full time and have kids, it is hard for anyone to fit that in their schedule let alone if you are living in poverty.

Then there is the flip side of the coin: a bump in road and she has to drop out of school, and people are denigrating her for racking up thousands in student loans with no degree and no way to repay them.

It's not as easy as it sounds.
Of you're on welfare, you would stop working to go to school. Grants and loans cover living expenses.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:58 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,398,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
Yeah, because as recent history has shown, student loans work out GREAT for most people...

Old 08-05-2014, 09:21 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,544,684 times
The unemployed and underemployed have nothing but excuses. Yeah it sucks but do something about it.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:38 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,648,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Yeah, because as recent history has shown, student loans work out GREAT for most people...

You mean borrowing money that you're suppose to pay back? How about this, go to a low cost two year community college and than transfer with your degree(so all your credits are accepted) to the university that you want to attend. There by cutting your costs almost in half.

Not acceptable for many young people today, I know of two situations where they snubbed their noses at the idea of doing this. Instead they took out huge loans for expensive four year schools.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:39 AM

1,522 posts, read 3,002,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Of you're on welfare, you would stop working to go to school. Grants and loans cover living expenses.
"Welfare," in the traditional sense, at least in my state, is capped at three years I do believe. Grants and loans also are capped. There isn't an infinite fountain of money just because someone is in school.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:42 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,170,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonderella View Post
I doubt she's worked there continuously, at the same store, for 10 years. Probably took time off here and there, especially with four kids, then came back. Likely requires some flexible schedules.

I worked in fast food when I got kicked out of college. It sucked. But I made over the minimum wage from the very beginning, because I worked "full time" (32 hours) and within a few months, was an assistant manager at double the initial salary. Why? Because even though I was too immature to study instead of party, I did know enough to show up every day, work as hard and as well as I could while I was there, and get along well with my fellow employees. It didn't really take much to move up. Most of my fellow employees at the non-managerial level were either students who wanted a part-time job, or adults who had mental health issues which precluded their getting a higher wage jobs.
The bolded really hit the nail on the head. The difference between the people that get raises and promotions in these types of jobs are simply those that show up when scheduled. People in these types of roles are often too short-sighted. I don't feel like going to work today, heck it is only 4 hours and I only make 7.35, after taxes that is probably only 20 bucks, I'll just skip. They are right in the short term, it is only 20 dollars, but in the long run it impacts their hours, their promotion potential, their raises, etc and it is the biggest issue and low wage jobs. I worked in a grocery store for 8 years, the people that showed up got the hours and options to move into new higher paying roles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
I think that student loans do work out great for most people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment