Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2014, 02:14 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,275,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I'm consistently baffled by the way so many people do not comprehend how the majority of achievers in life worked hard to get to where they are today. Most were not given the money that they earned. Most built the wealth that they have. You can look to the CEO's and find a big percentage of them that created the wealth that they have. I read an article recently about the guy that started the Rockstar Energy Drink company. He took a loan on his home to start the company that he now owns 85% of. His mom owns the other 15% and the company is valued at $1.7billion today. Neff Headwear was started by a guy I know. He was a college kid when he started the company. It was valued at $200million a few years ago and has been doubling in value each of the last couple years. We could go on and on listing company after company that has an owner CEO. The 2013 list of the Forbes 400 (To make the list you needed a net worth of $1.3billion) are made up of 273 self made billionaires.
I am not sure how sitting at a desk and making decisions is really working hard. I mean you get to be in an air conditioned room and sit in chairs and have other people bring you stuff and take hour long breaks. You want hard work manual labor like I did doing landscaping in the Florida heat. Now that is hard work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 02:15 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,544,684 times
I feel so blessed that I'm one of the "Chosen Ones" that has a nice job and doesn't have to work manual labor. Obviously people are chosen at random since good jobs are given away to the chosen ones.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:19 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,275,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I feel so blessed that I'm one of the "Chosen Ones" that has a nice job and doesn't have to work manual labor. Obviously people are chosen at random since good jobs are given away to the chosen ones.
Many people do not choose the jobs they take what they can in the circumstances they are in. If you are blessed with intelligence, good parents, good education you have a much better chance of getting a better job.

Old 08-04-2014, 03:27 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,044,813 times
I doubt she's worked there continuously, at the same store, for 10 years. Probably took time off here and there, especially with four kids, then came back. Likely requires some flexible schedules.

I worked in fast food when I got kicked out of college. It sucked. But I made over the minimum wage from the very beginning, because I worked "full time" (32 hours) and within a few months, was an assistant manager at double the initial salary. Why? Because even though I was too immature to study instead of party, I did know enough to show up every day, work as hard and as well as I could while I was there, and get along well with my fellow employees. It didn't really take much to move up. Most of my fellow employees at the non-managerial level were either students who wanted a part-time job, or adults who had mental health issues which precluded their getting a higher wage jobs.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:07 PM

701 posts, read 1,692,291 times
When I was 15 I begged myself into a job at the local Dairy Queen making minimum wage ($4.25 at the time; the owner didn't want to hire a 15-year-old but I convinced them I could be responsible enough). After a year of working there, the only non-manager still in the job who'd stayed through the winter, I asked for a small raise. They refused to give it to me. So the next week I took my year's worth of cash register and customer service skills and landed a job at KMart making $4.30 an hour with a plan, even for part-timers, for regular wage increases and even more skill development. I figured that out, all on my own, at the age of 16. It ain't rocket science. Short of mental deficiency, for which long-term menial labor might be an excuse, I have little sympathy for people who allow themselves to stay in a situation like that for ten years.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:05 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,983,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
What does that prove other than she doesn't have what it takes to advance, either at McDonald's or by going out and getting better job? Since she has a long work history and assuming it's good history, that alone should get her into a job that pays twice as much. But she has to make that happen. Nobody else is going to do it for her.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:29 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,592,559 times
You know we can debate this all day. But let's just get down to it and cut the BS. If you stay in a dead end job for 10 years you clearly haven't learned to....

Get
Your
Ish
TOGETHER

I don't know what fancy terms social scientist and professors call it. But when I was growing up that's what we called it. Getting your stuff together isn't easy. You may need to do something more than smoke pot all day and post selfies on Facebook. You may need to spend some free time reading a book, or attending a job fair. You may want to take that extra change you spend on dime bags and buy a suit, or a skirt. You may need to watch CNBC instead of Love And Hip Hop. You can't get something without having to give something up. So when you decide to reach in your life, you may need to not talk to your rat head friends who think its cool to be poor. You may need to check out that square guy in college instead of the thugs on the corner. You may need to start acting and talking like you dont work at McDonald's and you dont live in the hood. Because mentally you will be somewhere else in your career and you'll be in a different neighborhood. Mentally once you out yourself in a place, then physically being there isn't too far behind.

Its that simple. Everybody in this world has has to get their wish together. Lord knows I've has to several times. And I'm all the better for it. Las thing we need to do is punish society because certain people can seem to figure out life. That their problem not mine. When they want to do better they'll do better. This lady isn't trying, and see where she is.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:17 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I'm consistently baffled by the way so many people do not comprehend how the majority of achievers in life worked hard to get to where they are today. Most were not given the money that they earned. Most built the wealth that they have. You can look to the CEO's and find a big percentage of them that created the wealth that they have. I read an article recently about the guy that started the Rockstar Energy Drink company. He took a loan on his home to start the company that he now owns 85% of. His mom owns the other 15% and the company is valued at $1.7billion today. Neff Headwear was started by a guy I know. He was a college kid when he started the company. It was valued at $200million a few years ago and has been doubling in value each of the last couple years. We could go on and on listing company after company that has an owner CEO. The 2013 list of the Forbes 400 (To make the list you needed a net worth of $1.3billion) are made up of 273 self made billionaires.

Mr Rockstar is the son of Michael Savage; perhaps he had a head start financially with help from his parents?

Old 08-05-2014, 03:54 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,408,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
People are seeing this from the wrong point of view. When you work at McDonalds for 10 years for $7.35 per hour, what matters is not how much money you make during those 10 years. It's how many Big Macs you make. The Big Macs count towards the "Billions Served" but the money doesn't.
Simple question... would you rather condemn them socially AND pay for their welfare OR just accept that they should be paid a more reasonable wage (getting them off welfare)? If you choose the former, you are basically saying to hell with logic.

Old 08-05-2014, 04:39 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,444,619 times
Ask for a raise, or go to school for more skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment