Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2014, 08:04 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Do you live in the midwest? There could be better regions in the US, but I don't know. As someone who invests, I look at my investments and the CEO's stealing as much as they can from everyone, with about no dividends and not much in the way of growth. Outsourcing everything and squeezing as much profit as they can, but that profit goes in their pocket, not the shareholders. Probably best to invest in Japanese companies, where you might get a return. Need to look into that more.
As my moniker suggests I'm in NJ.

As someone who invests and owns several businesses, I know that the compensation of the CEO is determined by the board which is elected by investors like me. The idea that the CEO is stealing money is all in your head.

Outsourcing increases value for the shareholders. It also contributed to a better skilled workforce. One would be a fool not to take advantage of outsourcing.

(Typed this on my phone.. Ignore typos)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 10:01 AM

1,522 posts, read 3,002,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
As my moniker suggests I'm in NJ.

As someone who invests and owns several businesses, I know that the compensation of the CEO is determined by the board which is elected by investors like me. The idea that the CEO is stealing money is all in your head.

Outsourcing increases value for the shareholders. It also contributed to a better skilled workforce. One would be a fool not to take advantage of outsourcing.

(Typed this on my phone.. Ignore typos)
I'm sure this is a discussion for a separate post, but it's that kind of mentality that focuses on maximizing profits for the short term is a big part of the predicament our economy is in currently.

Economically slaughtering the vast majority of the population through outsourcing, automation, minimizing wages, and illogical hiring policies (in a macro sense) eventually destroys the very customer base you're trying to squeeze additional profits from.

It's like the food chain: if you cut out a large section of it, eventually the whole ecosystem collapses. Everyone starves. It starts with businesses catering to the middle class, then businesses catering to those businesses, on and on. It may take several generations to happen, though.

Which is why the current system of maximizing profits for shareholders is very short sighted.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:47 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBetterThanAll View Post
I'm sure this is a discussion for a separate post, but it's that kind of mentality that focuses on maximizing profits for the short term is a big part of the predicament our economy is in currently.

Economically slaughtering the vast majority of the population through outsourcing, automation, minimizing wages, and illogical hiring policies (in a macro sense) eventually destroys the very customer base you're trying to squeeze additional profits from.

It's like the food chain: if you cut out a large section of it, eventually the whole ecosystem collapses. Everyone starves. It starts with businesses catering to the middle class, then businesses catering to those businesses, on and on. It may take several generations to happen, though.

Which is why the current system of maximizing profits for shareholders is very short sighted.
Outsourcing is a solution that provides long term benefits. That's why we need to focus on it. It helps the vast majority of the population by insuring they have skills that see in demand with continued investment. Additionally, outsourcing increases productivity which helps society in general. There's nothing short term about it.

We certainly have room for improvement. Most of that lies around improving education (across the board, including management.).

Old 08-04-2014, 11:36 AM

3,515 posts, read 7,785,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
Maybe she should have tried to get some other skills so she wasn't working at McDonald's for ten years. Maybe she also should have thought about her low wages before having four children she couldn't afford. Sorry, no sympathy here.
I concur, no one should say to themselves, I've got a job at McDonald's, I "Made" it and can stop all the school work crap to improve myself. If you think you can work your entire life at McDonald's or some other entry level job and secure a stable future for yourself, your sadly deluded.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:43 AM

8,080 posts, read 7,451,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
No, she does not make any good points.

I came away wondering who the hell wrote that for her. I mean, she's so dumb she can't even find a job paying a dime over minimum wage, after 10 years!

Heck, my son is 19 and has worked a menial part-time job at a supermarket for 14 months and he makes $8.10 now.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:47 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,356,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
I'm consistently baffled by the way so many people do not comprehend how privilege, opportunity, and just plain blind luck factor into being able to have a better life than many others. People think somehow they just "deserve" their privileges and have no idea how many things were just handed to them in life.
I'm consistently baffled by the way so many people do not comprehend how the majority of achievers in life worked hard to get to where they are today. Most were not given the money that they earned. Most built the wealth that they have. You can look to the CEO's and find a big percentage of them that created the wealth that they have. I read an article recently about the guy that started the Rockstar Energy Drink company. He took a loan on his home to start the company that he now owns 85% of. His mom owns the other 15% and the company is valued at $1.7billion today. Neff Headwear was started by a guy I know. He was a college kid when he started the company. It was valued at $200million a few years ago and has been doubling in value each of the last couple years. We could go on and on listing company after company that has an owner CEO. The 2013 list of the Forbes 400 (To make the list you needed a net worth of $1.3billion) are made up of 273 self made billionaires.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:14 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,770,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Most were not given the money that they earned....

I read an article recently about the guy that started the Rockstar Energy Drink company. He took a loan on his home to start the company that he now owns 85% of. His mom owns the other 15% and the company is valued at $1.7billion today.

Neff Headwear was started by a guy I know. He was a college kid when he started the company. It was valued at $200 million a few years ago and has been doubling in value each of the last couple years.
A home is a pretty massive asset to borrow against compared to the net worth of the average McDonald's worker. I'm sure being the <i>son of a nationally syndicate talk radio host with an 8 figure net worth</i> had nothing to do with his ability to own that home or get his loan.

And just having the assets to be a college student puts you above the median for college age Americans. And that is before we even get into the rather large cost it took for Neff to build his connections through years of snowboarding in Park City. Just his seasons passes alone would have been five figures, and that is before you get into equipment, money spent on socializing, and the opportunity costs of all those hours spent snowboarding.

Take away all of those starting assets, and how many years or even decades does that set each of these guys back?

When I was 18, I left home with a duffel bag of clothes, a plane ticket to Chicago, and $200. Staying at home was not an option. I had stretches when I was homeless; which might have been better than when I had roommates since a couple of times I had everything I owned stolen while I was at work. I had stretches where I had no food for two or more weeks. I was well over 30 before I had enough cash to even make a down payment on a house, much less build up enough equity to take a loan against it.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:24 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,544,684 times
I'm so sick of hearing on the news about McDonalds workers trying to start a union and demanding $15/hour. If they get 15$ an hour then I deserve about $7 more per hour than I'm getting now. These people need to learn skills to get real jobs. Oh poor me. It's never their fault. It's the economy, it's racism, it's sexism, it's discrimination, it's the area you live, it's something other than me!

Old 08-04-2014, 01:39 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,254,134 times
People are seeing this from the wrong point of view. When you work at McDonalds for 10 years for $7.35 per hour, what matters is not how much money you make during those 10 years. It's how many Big Macs you make. The Big Macs count towards the "Billions Served" but the money doesn't.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:07 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,275,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I'm so sick of hearing on the news about McDonalds workers trying to start a union and demanding $15/hour. If they get 15$ an hour then I deserve about $7 more per hour than I'm getting now. These people need to learn skills to get real jobs. Oh poor me. It's never their fault. It's the economy, it's racism, it's sexism, it's discrimination, it's the area you live, it's something other than me!
Right because all people are smart enough to get more skills or have the money or time to and if they do there will be jobs for all of them. It is interesting how people blame other people for not moving up without knowing that person and their situation and ability. It is just easier and mentally lazier to just blame them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment