Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2014, 12:27 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,846,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
THIS. ^

Go get a vocational or associate degree. Heck, some associate degree jobs are starting at 50-60k and are in high demand. (Welding, Nursing, Medical Tech, etc)..

You have been watching too many late morning commercials.

Those jobs you mentioned,esp nursing,now require a Bsn at the minimum,esp for new grads.
Some hospitals are firing all nurses who do not complete a Bsn by 2015.

Welding is hard to get into,esp as a woman.(i tried to do that before taking up nursing)

Med techs make $9-14 per hr,hardly enough to live off of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 12:29 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
You have been watching too many late morning commercials.

Those jobs you mentioned,esp nursing,now require a Bsn at the minimum,esp for new grads.

Welding is hard to get into,esp as a woman.(i tried to do that before taking up nursing)

Med techs make $9-14 per hr,hardly enough to live off of.
I agree. Getting an AA/AS and expecting a $60K income, while possible, is not the norm.

The answer is to go to a solid 4-year university with a large endowment that cancels out tuition.

Old 08-07-2014, 12:30 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,846,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foques View Post
what in the world are you talking about?

Yes, I was born in a fantastic family; my father is a hero to me - and many others.

lol at being born with intelligence is a damnable advantage. and GFY if that does not sound like much to your highness. We are PROUD of what we have achieved here. We had nothing there when we left, or here when we came.
go crawl under your rock, and stop blaming everyone in the world for not being smart enough to figure out how to make your life better, don't put other's accomplishments down just because you're incapable of achieving things.
Are you saying your family did not use any form of welfare,including Medicaid or free clinics?
Did your family use any federal or state money for the small business start-up?

Old 08-07-2014, 01:15 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,165,481 times
If she only makes $7.35 an hour, how can she afford to travel to Chicago and still feed her 4 kids?

The CEO pay gap comparison is a red herring: most fast food employees work for franchisees, not for the corporation.

Old 08-07-2014, 05:40 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,770,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foques View Post
My family and I moved to US 10 years ago.
after paying all that needed to be paid to get a chance to escape the ****hole of a world we lived in, we had roughly $500 to our names.
You had more to your name than I had in 2 months of take home pay working full time for McDonald's. Or about my entire year's earnings after paying rent.

And to clarify this... I made $5.15/hr. My family still claimed me as a dependent, even though I had not lived at home in over a decade, so I was paying income tax on nearly all my income.

15% federal, 4% state, 9% payroll taxes, 6% lunch deduction (lunches were "on the clock" but then deduction from your paycheck), 10% retirement (mandatory, but I never vested), 1% disability, ~$15 deductions for meals, uniforms, etc (all mandatory), and $30/week for insurance (mandatory too). Which left me at $94 if I worked a full 40 hour week. But even though we would be scheduled 40 hours, if there was not enough business we would have to clock out and sit in the lobby, so typical paid hours on a 40 hour week was around 32-34 hours, leaving me with $60-$75 in take home pay per week against $250/mo in rent.

Last edited by marigolds6; 08-07-2014 at 06:01 AM..

Old 08-07-2014, 06:22 AM

107 posts, read 122,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
If she had 1 kid, perhaps even 2 in those 10 years we could say give her a break, we all make mistakes. But 4? You don't end up having 4 kids in 10 years by accident. That is a deliberate course of action. She likely did it for the welfare benefits, as other posters have suggested. That's her choice, but she can't have it both ways. Either you have all those kids, get the gov't benefits, and limit your opportunities, or you forego having so many kids, and have options to improve your job situation.
I agree. You can't have 4 kids "accidentally". She could have a mental disorder.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:53 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,356,633 times
Quote:

Very true. Most of our RN's have been working toward earning their BSN. The truth is many RN's end up paying very little to earn their BSN. The reason is that many hospitals have Educational cost reimbursement programs. For those RN's that want to work in a rural hospital the Federal Government will pay off their school loans. Nursing is one field where you can get an education and then get someone to pay it off for you. Someone starting out could earn their BSN in 4 years though. If the woman that the story is about had worked toward getting a degree while working she would only have been at McDonalds for 4 years instead of 10.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:10 AM

522 posts, read 722,147 times
Quote:
Are you saying your family did not use any form of welfare,including Medicaid or free clinics?
Did your family use any federal or state money for the small business start-up?
My dad refused to go on welfare or accept any handouts. The only things we had free were the ones that we picked up from the curb or new contacts gave us (run down furniture).
To be fair, I used a free clinic once.. I was battling an infection in my leg for a few years and doctors in my original country couldn't do anything about it. Here it was a quick snip, apparently.

We went to a food pantry once (Russian Church). The experience was so disgusting that we'd chosen to eat porridge every day (or when we had it) instead of asking for help.

I do run a small business; and started it all on my own - no help from gov't or banks. My dad chose to leave entrepreneurship and is now working for someone. TBH, I didn't even know there is a small business startup assistance.. that seems silly to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
You had more to your name than I had in 2 months of take home pay working full time for McDonald's. Or about my entire year's earnings after paying rent.

And to clarify this... I made $5.15/hr. My family still claimed me as a dependent, even though I had not lived at home in over a decade, so I was paying income tax on nearly all my income.

15% federal, 4% state, 9% payroll taxes, 6% lunch deduction (lunches were "on the clock" but then deduction from your paycheck), 10% retirement (mandatory, but I never vested), 1% disability, ~$15 deductions for meals, uniforms, etc (all mandatory), and $30/week for insurance (mandatory too). Which left me at $94 if I worked a full 40 hour week. But even though we would be scheduled 40 hours, if there was not enough business we would have to clock out and sit in the lobby, so typical paid hours on a 40 hour week was around 32-34 hours, leaving me with $60-$75 in take home pay per week against $250/mo in rent.
Did you speak the language?
Did you have roof over your head?
Did you have food in your fridge?
Did you have a vehicle to take you places?
Did you know anyone around you?
We didn't.
We landed in the worst chicago area (south side), we spoke no english, we ended up living in a two bedroom apartment with 4 other families, we had our things stolen, and hope that we can get a ride or had to walk otherwise (we did a LOT of walking)

My mother went cleaning toilets, my dad went working in a factory.
The only "advantage" that I had is that my dad is extremely smart, and is a genius with electronics, so he would make an extra buck fixing DVD/VHS players and some other odds and ends.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:13 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,926,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
What about the people who are not smart enough and all they can do is min wage type work? If everyone who worked at McDonalds quit and got a degree many stores would be closing since they would not have enough workers to stay open.
I agree. It's nice to think that everyone working at Mickey D's can suddenly go out and become engineers or programmers or related occupations that require a high IQ. The world still needs ditch diggers.

Over my years in working in retail and fast food I worked with a considerable amount of people who are just not capable of doing much more.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:47 AM

522 posts, read 722,147 times
why are those incapable people should be getting paid more?
In the business world, I strongly believe that person should not be getting paid more than they're worth. Naturally, it doesn't work that way often times.

I really don't get the logic of people who think that if your'e useless you're still supposed to have a decent income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment