Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2014, 09:49 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,544,684 times

Advertisements

It seems there is a general assumption that the government should provide for all it's citizens housing, healthcare and food. Unfortunately this is not the case. It would be great and ideal but this isn't the way the world works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 10:03 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,747,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
It seems there is a general assumption that the government should provide for all it's citizens housing, healthcare and food. Unfortunately this is not the case. It would be great and ideal but this isn't the way the world works.
So which society would you prefer:

1. A society where the wealth is shared through higher wages/better fringe benefits by private sector employers.

2. A society where the wealth is shared through generous welfare benefits by the government?

3. A society where all of America become one big Detroit?

Either way, whether you like it or not, 1 of the 3 scenarios listed is what we're going to have in America...

Old 08-07-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post

1. A society where the wealth is shared through higher wages/better fringe benefits by private sector employers.

2. A society where the wealth is shared through generous welfare benefits by the government?

Either way, whether you like it or not, 1 of the 3 scenarios listed is what we're going to have in America...
Can you not read? I never said I liked the way it is. I said it is the way it is. This woman isn't going to change America overnight to improve her situation so we should discuss as is, not as what we want.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Can you not read? I never said I liked the way it is. I said it is the way it is. This woman isn't going to change America overnight to improve her situation so we should discuss as is, not as what we want.
Well then you're misinformed:

Quote:
The government does provide housing (see Section 8), healthcare (see Medicaid, the health insurance exchange under Obamacare and Medicare) and Food (see SNAP/Food Stamps).

So I'm not sure what your point was. From the tone of your post, it sounded as if you were against the aforementioned programs the government already offers, as there are folks who think those programs should be abolished or cut significantly.

Last edited by 313Weather; 08-07-2014 at 11:09 AM..

Old 08-07-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Well you're misinformed then:

The government does provide housing (see Section H), healthcare (see Medicaid, the health insurance exchange under Obamacare and Medicare) and Food (see SNAP/Food Stamps).

So I'm not sure what your point was then. From the tone of your post, it sounded as if you were against the aforementioned programs the government already offers.
Ok let me rephrase. My point was that everyone thinks the government should do more than section H, medicaid and food stamps / WIC. People here seem to think you should be provided a nice apartment in a nice school district, top of the line healthcare and whatever food they want. Thus the argument that the minimum wage should be $15. Someone can survive off of min wage with section h, medicaid and food stamps but they want more.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:17 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,356,633 times
Quote:

I prefer the current system where anyone can create wealth over time. Why should it have to be shared by someone that makes it? You want a wealthier nation? Get rid of entitlements completly. Eliminate any kind of welfare. Reduce the tax bill for those that have money. When you give someone everything or subsidize the cost of everything for those that have nothing you take away their chances for a better life. Welfare is no way to live. Hard work is the key to happiness. Being able to work for what you have is the key to happiness. Let people know that if they want something that they will have to work for it. let them know that they can have anything that they want as long as they work for it. Tell them they can have even more if they start their own business or find their own way to make money. we may not eliminate poverty but we would place more people in a better place than welfare has ever done. we would do more for people than giving them free food and shelter. Entitlements have not worked at all. Time to make a change in how we fight poverty.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Ok let me rephrase. My point was that everyone thinks the government should do more than section H, medicaid and food stamps / WIC. People here seem to think you should be provided a nice apartment in a nice school district, top of the line healthcare and whatever food they want. Thus the argument that the minimum wage should be $15. Someone can survive off of min wage with section h, medicaid and food stamps but they want more.
And let me put it another way...

Do YOU think the government should do more than "Section H, medicaid and food stamps / WIC?"

And if not, what solution should be use to address the wealth inequality in America (which is what I'm assuming you're getting at?)?

Old 08-07-2014, 10:20 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,356,633 times
Quote:

The government does provide housing (see Section H), healthcare (see Medicaid, the health insurance exchange under Obamacare and Medicare) and Food (see SNAP/Food Stamps).

So I'm not sure what your point was. From the tone of your post, it sounded as if you were against the aforementioned programs the government already offers, as there are folks who think those programs should be abolished or cut significantly.
I am one of those that thinks they need to be eliminated. They have not helped anyone leave the grasp of poverty but have perpetuated the need for more assistance. We have people that have only known handouts all of their life and their parents life. That is a crime that this nation of ours should never have been a part of.

Quote:
And let me put it another way...

Do YOU think the government should do more than "Section H, medicaid and food stamps / WIC?"

And if not, what solution should be use to address the wealth inequality in America (which is what I'm assuming you're getting at?)?
It would be nice but it won't happen. I don't know what the answer is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I prefer the current system where anyone can create wealth over time. Why should it have to be shared by someone that makes it? You want a wealthier nation? Get rid of entitlements completly. Eliminate any kind of welfare. Reduce the tax bill for those that have money. When you give someone everything or subsidize the cost of everything for those that have nothing you take away their chances for a better life. Welfare is no way to live. Hard work is the key to happiness. Being able to work for what you have is the key to happiness. Let people know that if they want something that they will have to work for it. let them know that they can have anything that they want as long as they work for it. Tell them they can have even more if they start their own business or find their own way to make money. we may not eliminate poverty but we would place more people in a better place than welfare has ever done. we would do more for people than giving them free food and shelter. Entitlements have not worked at all. Time to make a change in how we fight poverty.
So option 3 (as in a Banana Republic similar to what they have in 3rd world nations like Mexico) it is for you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment