Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2014, 10:00 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,118,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBetterThanAll View Post
I don't think the person who originally commented on it nor myself literally meant that anyone who gets laid off at 45+ will never again find employment.

However, the trend seems to be quite clear that it is more difficult to find equivalent employment in your 50s or 60s than for someone in a lower age bracket.
I never said that you literally meant anyone who gets laid off at 45+ will never again find employment. You asked what happened, when they get laid off. I shared my personal experience of what happened to my co-workers. Don't put words in my mouth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 10:12 PM

1,522 posts, read 3,000,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
You are mixing up CSA(Combined Statistical Area) with Metro(politan Statistcal Area). The two designations are not interchangeable. Metros usually encompass the adjacent counties. CSA will add counties that are not adjacent to the cities also.

The Office of Management and Budget (OMB), a federal agency of the United States, defines the Detroit–Warren–Livonia Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) as the six counties of Lapeer, Livingston, Macomb, Oakland, St. Clair, and Wayne. As of the 2010 census, the MSA had a population of 4,296,250 with an area of 3,913 square miles (10,130 km2).

The nine county area designated by the OMB as the Detroit–Ann Arbor–Flint Combined Statistical Area (CSA) includes the Detroit–Warren–Livonia MSA and the three additional counties of Genesee, Monroe, and Washtenaw (which include the metropolitan areas of Flint, Monroe, and Ann Arbor, respectively). It had a population of 5,318,744 as of the 2010 census and covers an area of 5,814 square miles (15,060 km2). Lenawee County was removed from the CSA in 2000, but added back in 2013.[2]

No there are not 5 million + jobs available, even if you include all of the other counties also. There are over 2 million people employed in the area. That's 3 million retired, children, or can't find a job.
Yeah yeah yeah. I'm quite familiar with what an MSA and a CSA is.

Let me know how your polling of Ann Arbor goes when you tell people they don't live in Metro Detroit. That's why the article is called Metro Detroit. I'm sorry, perhaps I should have said Combined Detroit. Oh, that's right, nobody uses that terminology, but they do call it Metro Detroit, hence the article title.

Windsor will also be pretty impressed to find they aren't in Metro Detroit. You know, given how they are about 300 yards away from Downtown, but ok.

You may try looking up the definition of Metropolitan Area. I think you'll find it isn't defined by the Office of Management and Budget. In fact, I think using your definition that we'll all be screwed when it comes to defining metros that aren't in the US. Good luck, Mexico City.

All the MSA/CSA designation does is represent thresholds of commuter and employment market interchange. They aren't substitutes for the dictionary.

Wait wait - what's this line about Metro New York: As per the 2013 United States Census Bureau estimates, the New York metropolitan area remains by a significant margin the most populous in the United States, by both the Metropolitan Statistical Area definition (19.9 million[2]) as well as by the Combined Statistical Area definition (23.5 million[1]);

Hmm. I think they are using the CSA to define Metro New York.

As for the employment figures, let me know when you find a metro, or a combined, that has jobs for every man, woman, and child.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:26 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,404,740 times
Lot's of angry bitter people in here. Angry over what I do not know... Basically, this woman's societal value is low because her boot straps broke and she has four children. I guess she's better off on welfare because her corporate overlords would rather not pay her and have their brainwashed middle class bootlickers pick up the tab. Meanwhile, executives are putting all their profits into dividends (of which they own all the shares) and laughing all the way to the bank.

Old 08-02-2014, 06:20 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,293,890 times
No one who works full time should qualify for government assistance. The misguided perception that the American working class is better off being paid less is a foolish ideal.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:24 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,741,554 times
Quote:
I think it's bizarre that people sum up regions made up of millions of people as that there simply isn't much of an economy.

Sure, some metros are better than others, but you mean to tell me that in an area with over 5 million people that there aren't jobs floating around for most normal people?

I'm not sure where people get this stereotype that somehow because manufacturing has evaporated that nothing is going on in a region. Honestly, who with a college degree would be looking to work in manufacturing anyway?

In Northeast Ohio, where I am, it's not hugely different from Detroit (although I would posit a bit better). Unless you work in a highly specific position, there is likely to be something for most people sooner or later.
Quote:
It had a population of 5,318,744 as of the 2010 census and covers an area of 5,814 square miles (15,060 km2). Lenawee County was removed from the CSA in 2000, but added back in 2013. With the adjacent city of Windsor, Ontario and its suburbs, the combined Detroit–Windsor area has a population of about 5.7 million.

Metro Detroit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Consequently, even if it was 4 or even 3 million, there are enough jobs in the mix for standard occupations that something will arise. The accountant who says they can't find a job in a metro of 5 million people is full of it, or there is something wrong with them.
There was one regular poster on this forum from Denver who is originally from Michigan (they left because they couldn't find a ob in the first place) and decided to return back to be a part of Detroit so-called "comeback" that's been happening for the pat 40-50 years (anyone who watches the news or has lived/visited Detroit recently see how well that's been coming along 1.2 million people later).

Needless to say, they ended up moving back to Denver because of how hard it was to not only form a network with people (Metro Detroit is such an insular region with very little net migration and virtually no population growth that it's much harder to break into new social groups than in your typical major city), but because after 6-12 months they couldn't find a job in their profession.

They ended up moving back to Denver and found a new job immediately.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:30 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,135,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
It has been a very long time since McDonald's jobs were that. When I worked for McDonald's in the late 90s, I was the youngest person in the restaurant at 24. There were at least a half dozen employees that been with that franchise over 30 years. Two had been there 40 years (it was one of the first 20 McDonald's franchises). Those long-term employees actually made me wonder if the perception was every true that McDonald's jobs were not for adults, since people with the chain since nearly the beginning ended up working there their entire lives.

When I started interviewing elsewhere, they actively worked against me. I was scheduled for 12 hour shifts or open-close split shifts to keep me from interviewing; and then sent home early and on call to make sure I earned as little as possible. (I didn't know back then that I should have been paid for being "on call".) And that is before we get into the bad references they gave me while giving me spotless performance reviews. Since most McDonald's employees are relatively powerless, franchise owners can do a lot of dirty tricks to keep employees from finding better work.
When I worked at McDonald's five years ago, there seemed to be a mix. Most of management was older and had years of experience in the fast food industry, while the younger ones were crew members going to high school or college. Then there were the older adults who once had decent-paying jobs but then fell on hard times.

From my personal experience, most of the long-term employees were not at minimum wage. Most were franchise owners or in management (granted, managers don't make that much, but it is still better than $7.35/hr). Some also held college degrees and were actively searching for higher-paying jobs, others were immigrants who barely spoke any English. I would say for the majority of fast food workers, McDonald's isn't in their long-term plans.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:32 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
Most new hires in Maine are 50 to 60 years old. They get hired immediately for two reasons:
1. They know how to work.
2. They can pass a drug test.

My neighbor was just hired back on his old job. He's 75 years old and can pass a random drug test any day of the week. They begged him to come back.

Other regions may be different.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:42 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Yes. Everybody at McDonald's should go to school and get a better job. Jobs will magically materialize because we are a meritocracy that creates jobs based on how skilled people are. Then everybody will be middle class and rich. Woohoo! You're a genius!
No, not everybody will be rich or even middle class. But there are things you can do to that don't put you more "behind the 8 ball".

One of those things is don't be 27yrs old have 4 kids out of wedlock, when you're working a minimum wage job.

Had this woman made different choices in life(no kids), she could have been able to advance herself, even if that meant going to school part time.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:45 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
They should have made different decision.

??? I should have decided that I could afford law school???

Old 08-02-2014, 11:47 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
No, not everybody will be rich or even middle class. But there are things you can do to that don't put you more "behind the 8 ball".

One of those things is don't be 27yrs old have 4 kids out of wedlock, when you're working a minimum wage job.

Had this woman made different choices in life(no kids), she could have been able to advance herself, even if that meant going to school part time.

??? being 27 years old and having 4 kids IN wedlock, when you're working a minimum wage job would be okay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment