Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2014, 06:25 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,304,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
So what?

Who are you, the paternity police? It's not your business who anyone else has kids with. Sheesh!

It's WAY more entitled to think you get to pass judgement on someone else's personal choices than it is to want to be paid a living wage for one's labor.
I agree that people need to be paid a living wage regardless of the number of children someone has. That being said, I don't feel sorry for people who have multiple children and then use that as an excuse to be paid more. Having children is a choice. People need to be responsible. You should not be having children if you cannot afford to support them. It's difficult to support one child let alone four children. I also don't think it's a coincidence that people of higher socioeconomic and education background have less children. Educated people typically wait until they are financially capable to have children. It's difficult to have sympathy for someone who is in their 20's and has 4 children and is working fast food. That tells you the person was irresponsible and made poor choices when they were younger. Sorry but no one forced you to have 4 children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 06:28 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,637,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Wow. There's some brutal stuff in this thread. Can any of you who are barking about her 4 kids point to anything in the article that indicates that she's on welfare or collecting food stamps or that her children all have different fathers? I can't seem to find any of that in the article.

Exactly.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:02 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,293,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
First of all, if you have worked the same job for 10 years and are still at minimum wage, then you deserve it because nobody can be this dumb or lazy. Stupidity is a punishable crime.

Second, why would you or anyone else depend on the government to save them? Have people lost of sense of being responsible for themselves? Is it that hard to me up and get promotions and raises? I mean cummon, are you that lazy and stupid that you plan on remaining working minimum wage jobs for the rest of your life?
Yes people. You are stupid if you stay at the same job getting no raise for a decade. After year three quit and start robbing people like your employer was robbing you.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:25 PM

852 posts, read 3,815,633 times
The number of kids, at age 27, matters, not for moral reasons but for the specifics of this issue: career management. Sick days ... being late ... scheduling issues ... needing to leave at the same (or earlier) time ... these all affect, even for a good employee, how someone is seen in a work context. And, chances are, a young person (either sex) with four kids would be more likely to have dependability issues. Otherwise, a 10-year employee in good stead would have received more pay/responsibility.

Old 08-02-2014, 10:04 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,123,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I agree that people need to be paid a living wage regardless of the number of children someone has. That being said, I don't feel sorry for people who have multiple children and then use that as an excuse to be paid more. Having children is a choice. People need to be responsible. You should not be having children if you cannot afford to support them. It's difficult to support one child let alone four children. I also don't think it's a coincidence that people of higher socioeconomic and education background have less children. Educated people typically wait until they are financially capable to have children. It's difficult to have sympathy for someone who is in their 20's and has 4 children and is working fast food. That tells you the person was irresponsible and made poor choices when they were younger. Sorry but no one forced you to have 4 children.
Yeah, I don't get the argument for living wage. It will vary. If the critics think a living wage for a single person is $10/hr, e.g $20k per year. Should this worker be paid 6 figures for a family of 5 (herself plus 4), 5 x $20k = 100k?

What franchise owner can afford to pay a cashier $100k/yr in a low margin business like food? Does she get $140k, if she has 2 more kids and takes maternity leave on top of it?

Old 08-03-2014, 03:48 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,975,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
Maybe she should have tried to get some other skills so she wasn't working at McDonald's for ten years. Maybe she also should have thought about her low wages before having four children she couldn't afford. Sorry, no sympathy here.
Ding. Ding. Ding. Who the heck can afford to have 4 kids (by age 27, no less!) in this day and age?

Old 08-03-2014, 03:49 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Who the heck can afford to have 4 kids (by age 27, no less!) in this day and age?
A competent and productive member of society.

Old 08-03-2014, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
People make dumb decisions, but $8 an hour is not enough to live on for a parent. .

You said it "$8 is not enough to live on for a parent". So then, don't be a parent if you only make $8 an hour....and then repeat your mistake 3 additional times. I'm tired of hearing and reading all the "buts"... Do we ever draw a line with the "mistakes" and say "Having 4 kids as a single parent is an F'd up way to live and is unacceptable for parent and kids alike".

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 08-03-2014 at 04:11 AM..

Old 08-03-2014, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
In all due respect $2 in 1968 is not worth $15 today. It would be $13.70
CPI Inflation Calculator
The unions pick the 1968 minimum wage because it was the high water mark for its purchasing power, yet they try to pass it off as if it is the historical norm for purchasing power, when it wasn't. The current $7.25 minimum is somewhere in the middle of its historical range for purchasing power. But the effective minimum is much higher than $7.25 because a lot of states have higher minimums.

As others have said or implied, it's not 1968 any more. Those fighting for a $13 or $15 minimum wage may well find themselves replaced by machines.

Old 08-03-2014, 04:59 AM

9,691 posts, read 10,024,985 times
With 24 per week working people have plenty of time to look for a better jobs than this low life job Mc Donalds who is not taking care of it employees ..... There are some restaurants which serve better food making better pay if the food service is what you like some cooks serve $40 plates ............ I worked in a restaurant forty years ago making $3.50 per hour , so if you look at the increase in this field that is one dollar per hour every ten years to your $7.35
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment