Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 12:51 PM

2,794 posts, read 2,934,469 times

Advertisements

You can also look at it this way...Not everyone who studies engineering, accounting, or computer science is smart enough to get a job...

I'm sure there's quite a few people out there in this world that have these majors and are unemployed whereas those people out there who obtained "useless" degrees are living a decent life on a decent wage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 01:01 PM

6,230 posts, read 6,926,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcasey25raptor View Post
Something Can be said about living a debt free life with no University degree.

I am not cut out for STEM and I knew this from the get go, I started working immediately after highschool and I make around $22k a year. I do alright for myself and I have no debt.

I won't waste time on liberal arts degree since i'll merely be piling debt on for nothing as my career prospects will remain as they are now.

22k a year doesn't go very far in today's economy. You could get by on that income level, but you will most likely be poor most of your life, and you might not make enough to retire, or retire in extreme poverty.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:14 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,169,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
22k a year doesn't go very far in today's economy. You could get by on that income level, but you will most likely be poor most of your life, and you might not make enough to retire, or retire in extreme poverty.
It really depends on where you live and what your goals in life are. The guy below is doing fine on that amount of income.

Quote:
All told, we currently live on $20-25k per year
Living better than your neighbors on 75% less

Old 09-17-2014, 01:33 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,540,413 times
Wow, just wow.

Degrees and careers have little to do with intelligence. Skill sets and passion are far more critical than intelligence.

I'd rather have a skilled, dedicated professional that graduated with a 2.5 than a brainiac that selected a career just for the money.

Old 09-17-2014, 02:08 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,845,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoryIsMine1 View Post
The main reason why people get useless degrees is because the curriculum is easy and basically a joke. The fact of the matter is that not everyone has the intellectual capability and commitment to get a degree in engineering, accounting, or computer science.

Common graduate programs that people with useless degrees tend to purse is JD, PsyD, MBA, Master in useless subject.

If you have a useless degree and don't want to do sales, what are your options at a good paying white collar job?
You're right. The solution is for every student in the world to get degrees in engineering, accounting, computer science, or healthcare. All other university programs in every educational institution should/will be dismantled. Anyone not pursuing STEM will be directed into the trades.

Problem solved.

Yep, society no longer has a need for all those "useless" people, like writers, journalists, sociologists, psychologists, librarians, archeologists, historians, photographers, educators, interpreters, anthropologists, broadcasters, researchers, editors, counselors, filmmakers, advertising reps, etc. Nah, who needs 'em?

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 09-17-2014 at 02:37 PM..

Old 09-17-2014, 02:14 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
So, I guess the solution is for every student in the world to get degrees in engineering, accounting or computer science. Every other university program in every university should/will be dismantled.

Problem solved.
I hope that is sarcasm (there's no knowing in tone on posts.) That said we need people in the medical field and trades (which aren't incentified because it's about "college, college, college" in K12 education) for instance.

Old 09-17-2014, 02:36 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,845,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I hope that is sarcasm (there's no knowing in tone on posts.) That said we need people in the medical field and trades (which aren't incentified because it's about "college, college, college" in K12 education) for instance.

Okay. Edited my post accordingly.

Yes, my post was sarcasm from beginning to end.

I agree with you. I think WAY too many people go to four-year colleges, and that there are plenty of excellent careers that do not need such extensive education/training. And yes, people with STEM degrees (seem to) have more job opportunities. For now.

I'll also admit that, though I love what I do, I now realize (in my 40s) that there are a couple of STEM careers I would have probably enjoyed just as much.

Having said that, this notion that the only worthwhile university education is STEM and only STEM is ridiculous, short sighted and, quite frankly, pretty scary.

Old 09-17-2014, 02:58 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,749,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Wow, you seem to know an awful lot about someone and their future based on a couple of lines on a message board. Fact is I know plenty of college graduates making less than $22,000 a year, in fact 25% of all college graduates make less than the average high school graduate. Fact is you never know what someone may find to make money, nor do you know someones life goals or intelligence from a post or two on the internet, and there is no guarantees what the future will hold for any of us.

Old 09-17-2014, 03:16 PM

435 posts, read 635,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Okay. Edited my post accordingly.

Yes, my post was sarcasm from beginning to end.

I agree with you. I think WAY too many people go to four-year colleges, and that there are plenty of excellent careers that do not need such extensive education/training. And yes, people with STEM degrees (seem to) have more job opportunities. For now.

I'll also admit that, though I love what I do, I now realize (in my 40s) that there are a couple of STEM careers I would have probably enjoyed just as much.

Having said that, this notion that the only worthwhile university education is STEM and only STEM is ridiculous, short sighted and, quite frankly, pretty scary.
I agree with that.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:01 PM

100 posts, read 128,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palomalillie View Post
I don't believe everyone should go to college. Some people would be better off learning a trade. College was traditionally only for the wealthy, but soon the middle class and lower class started wanting college too. Now we have too many college graduates and not enough white collar jobs to go around for everyone who wants one. Many tradespeople say they can't find apprentices to work for them, because young people these days have no interest in learning things like AC repair or plumbing. The guy who did my AC repair work makes 100K a year.

One of the ugly burdens we hang on kids is the belief that unless they go to college and end up with a job where they dress nicely and sit at a desk all day they are losers.

One of the hottest tickets for youngsters here in LA is a school named Bosco Tech where kids graduate with not only a strong fundamental education in Communications, Math, History, and the sciences, but with real job skills. BT grads are in great demand in a number of vocational areas and many have gone on to run highly successful businesses.

Don Bosco Technical Institute - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yeah, it's a Catholic School, with a big waiting list and yes, it's all boys, no it isn't cheap at about $10K per year but I have never heard one family say it wasn't worth it. Too bad our school districts can't find a way to provide a similar product for their students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment