Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 07:10 PM

615 posts, read 726,375 times

Advertisements

The gate to legit STEM careers is very narrow these days. 20 years ago you could have a 2.5 GPA in a non-technical STEM program (ex. Physics) and easily find meaningful employment. These days there are so many people going to college, that STEM employers can be choosy and pride themselves in only hiring the best and brightest. So the idea that only smart people are capable of being productive STEM workers is somewhat of an illusion because the gatekeepers get to decide who is the best and brightest based largely on the size of the applicant pool from which they select for the limited number of jobs available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 07:30 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,123,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
The gate to legit STEM careers is very narrow these days. 20 years ago you could have a 2.5 GPA in a non-technical STEM program (ex. Physics) and easily find meaningful employment. These days there are so many people going to college, that STEM employers can be choosy and pride themselves in only hiring the best and brightest. So the idea that only smart people are capable of being productive STEM workers is somewhat of an illusion because the gatekeepers get to decide who is the best and brightest based largely on the size of the applicant pool from which they select for the limited number of jobs available.
I never graduated college and I had a 2.0 GPA in high school. I made C's and D's in most of my high school courses.

I was hired for SQL reporting and analytics in another city 300 miles away, sight unseen.

Most people assume that I have a degree and ask about my college. I have to correct them.

How many times do other people assume high school grads have a degree, because they are in a STEM field? You would be surprised, once you talk to them. I have met others through family and friends, who made it with a degree in the liberal arts or no college degree at all. They came from the school of hard knocks.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:54 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,772,911 times
It all comes down to one thing, everyone has the right to study any course for any degree that they want to.

BUT:

If you take a degree that is not in demand and little potential in the field, you should not:

1: Complain that anyone that wants to hire you, is low balling you for a potential salary.

All jobs for college graduates, do not pay the same high wages. What you are being offered, is the going rate for such a position, with your education. Many degrees, will pay as little as 20% of what they will pay for in demand degrees.

2: Complain that there are no jobs in your field of study.

There may be in some degrees, one job for every 50 graduates. It is not the employer that chose the degree you are went for. It was you chose it without even considering there may be no jobs available for that degree.

3: Complain that your degree cannot get you jobs in other fields.

Just because you have some sort of degree, does not mean it is transferable to other fields. Reason: There are graduates that have a degree in the field you are trying for, and those graduates will be hired before they will even consider you. You will be rejected by the computer run, with most companies.

4: Complain that when you try to get into other fields, no one wants to train you.

Why would someone want to train someone with no education or experience in the field the job is for, when there are people out there with degrees and experience that need no training applying for the job.

Remember you chose the degree you followed, and if it is impossible to get a job in that field, and if you do get a job, the pay is very, very low from what you thought you would be earning, it is your fault not someone else's. You chose the degree path, so be prepared to live with it.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:39 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,022,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoryIsMine1 View Post
The main reason why people get useless degrees is because the curriculum is easy and basically a joke.
In other words they're lazy and unmotivated. K

Quote:
The fact of the matter is that not everyone has the intellectual capability and commitment to get a degree in engineering, accounting, or computer science.
This is BS. More likely, they don't have the desire to learn that stuff - which is fine. But I don't buy the argument that someone can go through college, any college, yet can't master basics of finance, technology, or engineering which are a matter of reading subject matter and doing what the subject matter says to do. Guess what? People do it every day: you buy a new smartphone, it comes with a lengthy, tedious book telling you how to master all of these hundreds of features of your phone, you're forced to read it to learn how to set up.

Quote:
If you have a useless degree and don't want to do sales, what are your options at a good paying white collar job?

"Good paying" and "white collar job" are not compatible.

Fortunately, you've got options.
  1. Get a white collar job that pays "Meh" and be happy with the fact that you're paid for the low value, low stress, low commitment labor. OR
  2. Push yourself to learn a trade that is high paying, and understand and accept that it will challenge you to do more, and take pride that you really did earn your paycheck.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:12 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
This is BS. More likely, they don't have the desire to learn that stuff - which is fine. But I don't buy the argument that someone can go through college, any college, yet can't master basics of finance, technology, or engineering which are a matter of reading subject matter and doing what the subject matter says to do. Guess what? People do it every day: you buy a new smartphone, it comes with a lengthy, tedious book telling you how to master all of these hundreds of features of your phone, you're forced to read it to learn how to set up.
Holy Strawman arguments Batman! I can debunk this fairly easily. I've had several smart phones (I had to get the Droid 2 replaced two or three times as it was a fairly defective phone) and I NEVER read the tedious book to master things, mainly because my brother gave me a crash-course demonstration on my first Droid 2 after having the Droid 1 for a year at that point. The phones are fairly user friendly from Android to Android or now Fire (Fire Phone runs off an earlier Android OS.) Granted if you go from Android to say iOS or Windows 8, you may need a change but it's not as hard as mastering the basics of finance, tech or engineering. My father learned how to use a smart phone now and does pretty well with it for someone that barely used a personal computer or never uses self-service kiosks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
"Good paying" and "white collar job" are not compatible.

Fortunately, you've got options.
  1. Get a white collar job that pays "Meh" and be happy with the fact that you're paid for the low value, low stress, low commitment labor. OR
  2. Push yourself to learn a trade that is high paying, and understand and accept that it will challenge you to do more, and take pride that you really did earn your paycheck.
Ah yet another entry into the blue collar > white collar argument club. I agree, that you can make good money in the trades but that don't mean that white collar work can't be just as good paying. I am not ragging on the trades by saying that but there's success and failure in BOTH white and blue collar. We need more blue collar, I can agree with that so there maybe a bigger likelihood to get money but it's not like you can't make money in white collar jobs. But hey, if you want to buy in the war between the collars then stay classy my friend.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:15 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,923,553 times
Quote:
The main reason why people get useless degrees is because the curriculum is easy and basically a joke. The fact of the matter is that not everyone has the intellectual capability and commitment to get a degree in engineering, accounting, or computer science.

Common graduate programs that people with useless degrees tend to purse is JD, PsyD, MBA, Master in useless subject.

If you have a useless degree and don't want to do sales, what are your options at a good paying white collar job?
I have an MBA, an undergraduate liberal arts degree, and I've done fine.

However, here is one page from the MBA-level finance course:

You might want to think about that "smart" remark.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:22 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,126,884 times
Here the the top public-owned businesses in the USA and their CEOs:

- JP Morgan Chase: Jamie Dimon, CEO - BA Psychology and Economics, MBA
- Berkshire Hathaway: Warren Buffett, CEO - BA Business Administration, MS Economics
- Exxon: Rex Tillerson, CEO - BA Civil Engineering
- General Electric: Jeffrey Immelt, CEO - BA Applied Mathematics, MBA
- Wells Fargo: John Stumpf, CEO - BA finance, MBA
- Bank of America: Brian Moynihan, CEO - BA History, J.D.
- Apple: Tim Cook, CEO - BA Industrial Engineering, MBA
- Citigroup: Michael Corbat, CEO - BA Economics
- Chevron: John Watson, CEO - BA Agricultural Economics, MBA
- Walmart: Doug McMillon, CEO - BA Business Administration, MBA

Collectively, these men have earned 11 Bachelor's degrees (one had a double major) and 8 advanced degrees. Of the 11 bachelor's degrees, only three of the degrees are STEM degrees (Civil Engineering, Applied Math, Industrial Engineering). Four of the degrees are social science degrees (psychology, economics [2 men], and history), three of the degrees are business degrees (finance, and business administration [2 men]), and one degree is in the agricultural sciences.

Of the 8 advanced degrees, 6 of them are MBAs, and two are social sciences (J.D. and Economics).

Before you go touting the superiority of STEM fields, maybe you should realize that even holders of "useless" degrees can be successful. You see, it is not about the degree; it's about the person who holds the degree.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:44 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,237,022 times
Quote:
The main reason why people get useless degrees is because the curriculum is easy and basically a joke. The fact of the matter is that not everyone has the intellectual capability and commitment to get a degree in engineering, accounting, or computer science.

Common graduate programs that people with useless degrees tend to purse is JD, PsyD, MBA, Master in useless subject.

What you should be asking yourself is why the schools are in the business of selling phony degrees. And why the government is in the business of loan sharking phony degrees. I'm telling you, it is utterly mind-blowing how messed up this country has gotten since I was a kid. And everyone is clueless... like Stepford Wives.

Old 09-18-2014, 04:57 AM

194 posts, read 300,513 times
Quote:

You win o grand master of the universe

Old 09-18-2014, 06:05 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,176,681 times
Quote:

The world needs ditchdiggers !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment