Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 10:22 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,542,422 times

Advertisements

Only until I can find a better company to work for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 11:16 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,157,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
I guess I don't feel like I have a career yet I feel like I've tried. I went back and got my masters even. I work in tech support in the higher ed industry. I don't know what else I can do and I'm kind of tired of trying. I am 36 and I have the same job as a 25 yr old. The 25 yr old will actually probably be promoted. I feel like I've missed the boat on getting ahead. People look at someone my age and think if they haven't moved on they never will. So I feel stuck in my job mainly because I need a paycheck. It's depressing
I think in your shoes I'd stay where I was, and look for opportunities elsewhere- peruse job openings that represent a promotion to what you're now doing, or which offer opportunities for promotion. I wouldn't quit a job I already had, even if I thought it was a dead-end job, to look for a better one.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:00 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,325,212 times
Default re

Thanks. What's interesting is that today an email from the ceo went out about mid yr promotions. My Co workers and I talked about it briefly and one girl who haSnt been here for a yr yet said to my Co worked and I that she thinks we should get title changes based on how long we've been here. I've been here 2.5 yrs other girl has been there 1.5 yrs. I know the other girl will likely get one this summer and I guess it makes me feel insecure that I'm not gping to get one. My boss asked me about a month ago what I'd like to do beyond the dept. I honestly don't know. It would he great if she said, you're doing great I think you should do this, etc but she hasnt. My reviews have been good, she points out things i do well but I can't say it seems like she raves about me. We are also soo busy that I barely have time to explore what I'd like to do plus I have a baby.

I just don't feel satisfied. I want to feel satisfied, I want to feel like this is the perfect job for me, but I know it's not perfect. Maybe there is no perfect job for me. I feel mad that this is just a job and I don't know how I will find another. I work in tech support but my masters is in communications management but I have no real job experience as a communications manager. I just feel like my career is a mess and the older I get the harder it is.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:15 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,329,285 times
There's nothing wrong with keeping a job you're satisfied with. Don't jump on the bandwagon of expecting promotions. It's stable and it pays the bills. You can always toss applications out there once the kiddo starts school. I have probably a dozen active applications out at all times. Never know who wants you!

One time I switched jobs which took me from one pay grade to another. They try to keep your current pay without lowing it so I started my new job maxed out. I kept hearing "but you'll never get a pay raise". So? You want me to start lower so I can get raises in the future? No thanks. Max me out now, no problem!

Try to be content with what you have. Good things are sure to come.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:42 PM

I guess i worry that my boss will get sick of me? She might think ok why hasnt she moved on. WHen she was asking me what i want to do in terms of projects (extra work to what i already do) i had just returned from maternity leave and she made a point to say you dont have to do anything...and then that made me feel lazy. So there seems to be this unwritten rule that in addition to the job people need to be working on side projects-which is great because it can be skill building and it takes away from the daily grind, but we really dont have a lot of time. One person i work with basically stopped answering clients and just started solving bugs which my boss seemed to love...but i'm not that technically saavy. Ahhh

Old 01-26-2015, 02:44 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
Quote:
Thanks. What's interesting is that today an email from the ceo went out about mid yr promotions. My Co workers and I talked about it briefly and one girl who haSnt been here for a yr yet said to my Co worked and I that she thinks we should get title changes based on how long we've been here. I've been here 2.5 yrs other girl has been there 1.5 yrs. I know the other girl will likely get one this summer and I guess it makes me feel insecure that I'm not gping to get one. My boss asked me about a month ago what I'd like to do beyond the dept. I honestly don't know. It would he great if she said, you're doing great I think you should do this, etc but she hasnt. My reviews have been good, she points out things i do well but I can't say it seems like she raves about me. We are also soo busy that I barely have time to explore what I'd like to do plus I have a baby.

I just don't feel satisfied. I want to feel satisfied, I want to feel like this is the perfect job for me, but I know it's not perfect. Maybe there is no perfect job for me. I feel mad that this is just a job and I don't know how I will find another. I work in tech support but my masters is in communications management but I have no real job experience as a communications manager. I just feel like my career is a mess and the older I get the harder it is.

Sit down with your manager and ask her what your options are. Also, if you've been there 2.5 years you must have some idea what the path of advancement is from your position. Talk to the people who started out doing your role and have moved out about their jobs and you'll have a better idea of what you want to do.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:48 PM

6,589 posts, read 4,980,255 times
Quote:
Let's say you have a job you are for the most part satisfied with, the pay and benefits are good but you likely will never get promoted and you're not sure how your boss feels about you. Would you stay or move on knowing that you might not end up at a company that's ad good as the one you're at now?
Yes. I have a job where there is really no room for advancement and it doesn't matter to me. Even when I was younger, it didn't matter as much as liking what I did.

My hours are flexible for the most part and I (usually) get a decent raise. I can even participate in our 401K even thought I'm Ps. And it's close to home. I know my boss likes (most) of my work but they can be really hard, so that's the worst part of the job.

That said, I'm always on the lookout for something equivalent that may have a little less stress (boss), a little more money, and maybe a little more work from home. But getting promoted has nothing to do with it for me.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:48 PM

Well it's a startup so i am the first person who has been in this role. The next possible place to move up seems too intense for me. I'm ok with where i am but i worry that others do not think it's ok that i stay in this position.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:51 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,050,846 times
Quote:
Let's say you have a job you are for the most part satisfied with, the pay and benefits are good but you likely will never get promoted and you're not sure how your boss feels about you. Would you stay or move on knowing that you might not end up at a company that's ad good as the one you're at now?
Personally, I believe that if you cannot be satisfied where you are for the rest of your life, then you are in the wrong position. It is good to be motivated, but it is also equally good to be satisfied.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:06 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,783,819 times
I don't have any desire to get promoted. I'm fine with my current job as long as the work is interesting and hours are reasonable. The only way I would change this is if I decide to start my own company or work at a startup someday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment