Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 07:49 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,528,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Let's say you have a job you are for the most part satisfied with, the pay and benefits are good but you likely will never get promoted and you're not sure how your boss feels about you. Would you stay or move on knowing that you might not end up at a company that's ad good as the one you're at now?
If you're young and just beginning your career you need to grow, and if your current employer can't provide you with that, then you'll need to decide when you want to take your career to the next level. Unless you work for a large enough company to offer advancement, then you have to look outside to find new challenges. Its not personal, a small company can have that family feel and get real comfortable, but its business, you only have so much time to make what you need in your life so grow as much as you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 07:52 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,934,469 times
Nope... I wouldn't. As a matter of fact, although it's the same company I'm in the middle of getting a transfer from the property I'm currently at to another property that is much larger and has much more room for growth. I'm just waiting on the offer sheet to come in. I'm not satisfied with just the bare minimum raises year in and year out for the hard work I put in and with no job promotions in sight.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:20 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
I'm in my 50's also.
On this job 19 years, decent money plus available overtime, pension, 401 K, union covered, I'll go from 4- to 5 weeks vacation starting next year, a job I can do blindfolded, I know the short cuts, I know the management, I know which co-workers to trust which, not to. No real "office politics."

I couldn't care LESS that there's no chance for promotion. I wouldn't WANT a promotion with this company because I see how they treat people who get promoted...a title but no real authority. I'll stay a grunt thanks very much.

I've been mentally checked out for years...just coasting until retirement. I'm done. I earn just enough brownie points for the boss to think I care. Promotion?...."I don't need no stinking promotion"
See, I'm not there yet - but I'm getting there. I was quite satisfied with my job and really didn't think about too much because I needed the flexibility it offered.

Now, I'm 53 and my son has been away at college for two years.

I though I would kind of 'ramp up' my career, but my expiration date for that has passed, I can tell. Women in their mid-fifties do not get promoted.

The Mommy track is real.

I'm trying to make peace with it. It was a great job for a Mom.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:46 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Let's say you have a job you are for the most part satisfied with, the pay and benefits are good but you likely will never get promoted and you're not sure how your boss feels about you. Would you stay or move on knowing that you might not end up at a company that's ad good as the one you're at now?
Maybe if I were in my late 50s, had climbed about as high up the ladder as I was realistically going to through the course of a multi-decade career, and were staring retirement in the face. Otherwise... why would I stay somewhere with no growth or advancement opportunities? In fact that's one reason I left a previous job. It was a family-owned business with family members in nearly all of the key managerial and supervisory positions. While I don't begrudge such nepotism in a family-run business, it was clear that my career opportunities at that specific employer were limited.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:50 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,311,529 times
yes, if it paid a lot

Old 01-29-2015, 06:37 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,325,212 times
Default re

I'm just having a tough time lately with work. It's myself, 4 other people and my manager. I feel like I'm just not keeping up. I don't seem to have the attention span. Ther others seem so into work and solving problems outside of what we should be doing. I'm like ok i am just trying to get done what I need to do and at the moment I don't have time to focus on all these other things. We also use this I'M tool all day. We sit near each other and talk to each other all day about issues were seeing that people are having...and we have lunch together. 3 people also work on the weekends so I often get email updates about thAt. It also seems like no one takes a day off ever. people in fact get afraid to take a day off for fear of getting behind.. we are all in support type postions, it's not like we are vps. I am all for working hard but I'm feeling burnt out. Some days I feel more inspired than others but I feel like the blah member of the team for the most part. I feel replaceable. I suppose I am.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:21 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,548,735 times
Although I like learning new things, I care more about having enough to take care of myself & dependents, be able to spend money on certain wants, and stash a decent amount away for savings/retirement. So even though I like learning new things, if I had a competent job that paid me enough to do all of the above (or if I could get raises to get me to that point) but didn't offer promotions or teach me new stuff, then I'd absolutely stay.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:14 AM

Default re

Right and I don't think going out Of my way to learn new stuff, in addition to doing what already is my very busy job is going to get me promoted. if anything it makes me more confused and frazzled. i used to be comfortable in this job but it seems to have changed. I just don't know where else to look. I'm tired of the pressure of wondering if I'm doing OK and I'm also tired because I have an 8 month old who doesn't sleep. I just want to do a good job, I dont need to be a hero but it seems like thats what this company wants everyone to be, a hero. I'm also 35 and a few times when we interviewed people in the past my boss would say she liked someone because they are young. Young as in 24. I found it offensive. I'm sure there are plenty of not young 24 yr olds looking for work. And excuse my 35 year old but for needing to work as well.

Old 02-16-2015, 01:48 PM

I'm bringing this thread back to life. I think part of the issue I'm upset is that I'm pretty sure two people i Work are going to get promoted this summer and I wont be. I've also been here longer than they have been. They both have better techinicaly skills than I do. I feel sort of ashamed. I guess I've just been doing my job and it seems this company wants people to be innovative and come up with new ideas, find problems, come up with new processes no matter what their position might be. I guess I have not been a leader. I'm not sure I am a leader? Maybe it's because I"ve never had a job I truly love. I always end up being a worker bee. I just get told what to do and I do it as best I can. I feel like i should start over somewhere else. I"m not sure I will ever be taken seriously or looked at as a leader at this company.

Old 02-16-2015, 02:02 PM
mzd

419 posts, read 887,178 times
If your other thread about being last in an email is any indication, you need to have a change of scenery.

Can your family survive on just your husband's salary? Have you thought about starting your own business?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment