Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 03:19 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,324,502 times

Advertisements

i feel so awkward asking my boss what are my options in terms of getting promoted. If she hasnt brought it up maybe she doesnt think i should be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 04:05 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,745,007 times
This would be an ideal situation for some people. A friend of mine has turned down opportunities for promotion or additional responsibility on a few occasions. Reason is that she has a time-consuming hobby she is passionate about (she breeds and shows dogs) and she doesn't want to take on added work responsibility and additional hours. She values the consistency of her current schedule.

Old 01-26-2015, 04:38 PM

140 posts, read 223,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Let's say you have a job you are for the most part satisfied with, the pay and benefits are good but you likely will never get promoted and you're not sure how your boss feels about you. Would you stay or move on knowing that you might not end up at a company that's ad good as the one you're at now?
Happened to me before. Worked at a position for 3 years I was the best on a team of 5 individuals and was constantly told so by all supervisors, coworkers and department heads. However the structure of the department didn't allow for any position above mine aside from my supervisor who wasn't going anywhere anytime soon. Eventually I decided to quit and look for a better opportunity. The pay was decent but I knew I was worth more and the title was fine for the first 2 years but after that if you're constantly commended for your work you expect something better.

Old 01-26-2015, 04:49 PM

2,282 posts, read 3,081,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas185 View Post
Happened to me before. Worked at a position for 3 years I was the best on a team of 5 individuals and was constantly told so by all supervisors, coworkers and department heads. However the structure of the department didn't allow for any position above mine aside from my supervisor who wasn't going anywhere anytime soon. Eventually I decided to quit and look for a better opportunity. The pay was decent but I knew I was worth more and the title was fine for the first 2 years but after that if you're constantly commended for your work you expect something better.
Very similar situation to where I was for a while. The difference is I was stuck there for about 6 years longer than I wanted to be as my wife (now ex-wife) was getting her PhD, which precluded us from moving anywhere else. In such a narrow field as mine there was nowhere else I could move up to unless my boss left, but he wan't going anywhere. It probably costs me tens of thousands of dollars in potential income and possibly the chance to progress to where I might have in title and responsibility.

Old 01-26-2015, 04:55 PM

140 posts, read 223,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
Very similar situation to where I was for a while. The difference is I was stuck there for about 6 years longer than I wanted to be as my wife (now ex-wife) was getting her PhD, which precluded us from moving anywhere else. In such a narrow field as mine there was nowhere else I could move up to unless my boss left, but he wan't going anywhere. It probably costs me tens of thousands of dollars in potential income and possibly the chance to progress to where I might have in title and responsibility.
My wife is about to start a phd soon as well! Oh noes I see some foreshadowing lol!

Old 01-26-2015, 09:31 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,477,650 times
I'd be fine with that. The thing is, none of my jobs are ones I'd really get "promoted". And I'm assuming you're talking about in terms of title? If I have the same title, but get more responsibilities, resume material, and pay, I'd gladly go with that instead.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:11 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
Let's say you have a job you are for the most part satisfied with, the pay and benefits are good but you likely will never get promoted and you're not sure how your boss feels about you. Would you stay or move on knowing that you might not end up at a company that's ad good as the one you're at now?
If the pay was good, absolutely.

It's mostly how internal medicine practitioners and pharmacists operate and those were the two things I should have been.

Of course, then I would be depriving myself of years and even possibly decades of ladder climbing, corporate hierarchy, back stabbing, getting thrown under the bus, a@@ kissing, faked socializing, and passive/aggressive tactics in order to get 'promoted' or 'move up at work'.

After all, if you're not putting others down and being a d@uche so that you can move ahead at work, are you really living life?

Old 01-27-2015, 04:19 AM

698 posts, read 798,298 times
Quote:
If you are satisfied with the pay and benefits, I am not sure the concern about being promoted.
I wouldn't risk going to another company under those circumstances but to each is own. There is no right answer for that.
If you are a Christian, you should pray over it. I'll add you to my prayers also. All the best to you

Old 01-27-2015, 06:09 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,702,289 times
That's been my last three job's, ha. First one only promotion is based off of getting a degree or taking pay dock leaving to a different department. Made $18 an hour. Second job only had promotions, but that was just a $10,000 pay increase of you received your master's degree. Making $28,000 a year with that job. Third job has no promotions just pay raises if funds are good...like earlier job can change degrees or leave the department take lesser pay to go in a department that could promote. Only making $15.00 an hour with this job.

Really does stink.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:17 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,632,176 times
Yes, if promotion wasn't my goal. One thing I have learned in my decades of employment is that no one can tell what tomorrow will bring. I have been in several positions in my life where I detested my supervisor, not for personal reasons, but for how they treated me/us the underlings. But hung in there. And over a relatively short period of time things changed for the better. I got a new boss, was transferred out of the unit but kept my position and got a super boss. Not to say that things can't change for the worse either. One never knows what will happen. Do you like the position itself? Does it pay enough? Can you lateral to something else down the road? I would not make any moves until I have thoroughly checked out other positions/employers AND secured a position with them first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment