Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 04:07 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,280,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
The money comes from a different pool. Generally colleges have their own benefits system. Not the same as government employees but similar. Generally college support staff jobs are a little easier to get than govt jobs.
Thanks. That guy is nuts and has been placed on ignore.

A friend of mine who works for a college here said she wished she was a civil servant with our awesome benefits and job security lol.

Up until that point, I thought she was a civil servant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 09:05 AM

199 posts, read 294,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
It is not a problem to want to spend time with your boyfriend.

From my perspeciive, it is more important to want what every you want out of your job due to your own self motivation. Because if they only reason you want to avoid working nights and weekends is to see him, it seems like you have no "agency" for yourself. And that is worrisome. You have to want and do things for yourself. Particularly critical life decisions.
Mostly to spend time with bf
Other things may fall on the list
Christmas Shopping
Birthday Events
girl's night out
Gym Exercise
Family time etc

Old 12-18-2015, 09:08 AM

199 posts, read 294,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Miteybad View Post
Why wouldn't it be? Community college districts are public entities, financed by the taxpayer. There's essentially zero difference in working for the city or county government (definitely government billets) and working for a community college district, which is the governmental entity that administers the local community college.

Were you unaware, perhaps, that community college districts are in fact government entities, complete with their own tax bases and tax collection mechanisms?
This is what I was thinking.

Where I work at, all the money we get are from fundings and taxpayers.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:11 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,429,452 times
Dentist. Best....hours....ever

Old 12-18-2015, 09:34 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,280,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haeley_Ramirez View Post

Are you in a civil service position? Protected by a union? You truly are the best person to answer this.

I found it odd that you say you are going the government job route if you already work for the government?

Old 12-18-2015, 10:09 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,053,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
I'm sorry, but you are very much out of touch with today's public education. I graduated high school in 2001, and things have changed drastically since then.

Parent teacher conferences don't just happen once or twice a year. There are conference days, normally twice per year, but parents request conferences all the time. Some just drop in. At dismissal. Without notice. I've missed or been late to doctor/dentist/hair/etc... appointments because a parent showed up and I couldn't get quickly get rid of them (for a lack of a better word). You try and suggest "I have to be somewhere, would you like to set up a time when we can discuss this further?", but they keep talking or go to administration about how your refuse to meet with them.
Plus there are IEP meetings, after school training/workshops (or even worse- weekend ones), staff meetings that can take hours after school, and various other meetings. Sometimes you are not given more than a few hours notice.

When I was in school, I also had a few of your "Scan-Tron teachers" that you mentioned. That is not stood for today. I've taught in five districts in two states. It doesn't happen. Tenure only protects so much. I'm not sure if my third grade teacher ever got up from her desk- we did worksheets in silence all day long. Today's teacher doesn't sit down- ever. Many get rid of their desk because they never sit at it.

A to Z Teacher Stuff: Downloads, Printables, Lesson Plans, Teaching Themes, Forums, Worksheet Makers has a really great forum section. I suggest anyone interested peruse it to get a sense of what teaching is really like.

Did I mention that HALF of all teachers quit within their first five years? If it was an easy job with a great schedule, no one would be quitting.
I think the difference might be regional. Where I live, the teachers union is extremely powerful, and basically controls local politics. Once a teacher has tenure, it is almost literally impossible to fire them. I do realize that nationwide teachers have a high attrition rate, but that is not the case where I live.

Also, the other things that you mention, such as missing or having to b elate to a doctor's appointment, or attending a meeting or workshop outside of school hours: those are things that ALL professionals have to deal with not just teachers.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:17 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Personal banker/bank manager/loan officer that sort of thing. Not to say you will never work late but that's the exception rather than the rule. And you'll get "bankers hours" and bank holidays in addition to other typical holidays. The pay isn't always terrific but the benefits packages are usually really good.

Old 12-20-2015, 03:42 AM

227 posts, read 745,798 times
This would depend on the company you work for. I'm currently a District Manager for a CPG company, and only work M-F with weekends off.

Old 12-21-2015, 12:41 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,036,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haeley_Ramirez View Post

Why, of course. Not sure why anybody would conclude differently...but hey.

So, you're already working for one level of government, with the hours and schedule they offer, and that arrangement seems to suit you well enough.

If time off on nights, weekends and holidays is your objective, then it appears that you already have found what you're looking for.

Obtaining a higher level of pay, however, would usually entail assuming a greater level of responsibility in the workplace, and that might involve working additional hours from time to time. If you arrived at a point in your life where you needed to make more money, then you would probably have to decide whether the free time or the money was more important to you.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:46 AM

3 posts, read 1,619 times
It's challenging to answer your question, since it seems many employees are constantly connected to their work through their mobile phones these days. In general, your best bet would be to find a company that's been in the business for many years so the workflow is pretty routine and stable. In other words, a startup is probably not for you.

Please keep in mind that you'll spend most of your time at work. It seems the kind of work that challenges you to do your best to make a difference in this world may require working overtime, weekends and holidays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment