Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 11:29 AM

22,595 posts, read 47,698,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
What about gym teachers, who don't have any assignments to grade, and don't come up with lesson plans? What about elementary school art and music teachers?
Gym teachers run Jump-a-thons, and other activities, during and after school. And they do grade, and have lesson plans.
Art and music teachers... the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 01:22 PM

199 posts, read 294,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patches403 View Post
Some other suggestions -

--Dental hygienist
--Some low level medical jobs like lab techs and physician assistants (in a doctors office). Of course, with many of the medical jobs you might have to put in years of working non - 8-5 shifts gaining experience in hospitals before you can get into the coveted 8 - 5 doctors office jobs.
--Administrative and other non-teaching positions within schools and universities would likely be 8 - 5. I'm talking positions like counselors, librarians, etc. Of course, positions like counselors and librarians generally need lots of education and often need advanced degrees.
--Many research positions in a variety of fields but these types of positions typically require lots of education and advanced degrees.
--As others have mentioned, many government office jobs have 8 - 5 hours, but most of those jobs require a minimum of a BA/BS to get in the door.

OP, you haven't said if you're willing to go through potentially 5+ years of college in order to get one of these 8 - 5 careers. With no education beyond high school, 8 - 5 job options are pretty-much limited to administrative positions.
Yes I am willing to get a Bachelors Degree along with Certifications as well.

Old 12-10-2015, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naadarien View Post
The problem with any government job is that your salary is at the whim of taxpayers who never think you are worth what you do. Expect to earn a good 30% less than private industry.

Though, having worked for the VA, if I had to pick a government job, it would definitely be a federal level position. Lots more stability at that level.
Personally, as long as it's stable and pays decent, I'm okay if it just pays decent really does not need to be that insanely high. Mostly the work schedule M-F is a must thou

I was hoping to live off something making like 40k to 50k a year or 20 dollars to 25 dollars an hour. I make 19 an hour now but will be expecting raise a long time from now.
I don't expect to make 50k a year right off the bat I know I have to pay my dues and earn higher education and experience. I just hope i'm realistic in my expectation since I live in a high cost of living area.

Old 12-10-2015, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklinturner View Post
Government jobs, both federal and municipal. but they are hard to get!
Does a Community college campus count?

Old 12-10-2015, 02:06 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,528,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patches403 View Post
Some other suggestions -

--Dental hygienist
--Some low level medical jobs like lab techs and physician assistants (in a doctors office). Of course, with many of the medical jobs you might have to put in years of working non - 8-5 shifts gaining experience in hospitals before you can get into the coveted 8 - 5 doctors office jobs.
--Administrative and other non-teaching positions within schools and universities would likely be 8 - 5. I'm talking positions like counselors, librarians, etc. Of course, positions like counselors and librarians generally need lots of education and often need advanced degrees.
--Many research positions in a variety of fields but these types of positions typically require lots of education and advanced degrees.
--As others have mentioned, many government office jobs have 8 - 5 hours, but most of those jobs require a minimum of a BA/BS to get in the door.

OP, you haven't said if you're willing to go through potentially 5+ years of college in order to get one of these 8 - 5 careers. With no education beyond high school, 8 - 5 job options are pretty-much limited to administrative positions.

School and University Librarians have to work when college libraries are open-which includes late nights and the weekends. As the new librarian on the job, she would probably be scheduled to work nights/weekends. Some school counseling departments might have a skeletal staff to handle emergencies at nights or on the weekends.

Any type of assistant job usually has regular hours- but you might have to do an occasional late night if your boss is working on a project.

Old 12-10-2015, 02:42 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,325,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Medical. I've worked as an ophthalmic technician for 12 years. It's 8-5 M-F with holidays and weekends off. When you're off, you're off. There's no on-call for techs. I also like the fact that it involves alternating sitting, standing, and walking, so I don't develop the fatigue and skeletal problems that comes from sitting at a desk or standing all day. It's not excessively physical either. Plus the medical benefits are amazing and I get good vacation and sick time benefits. Oh, and I almost forgot to mention. The medical field is more recession and depression proof than other professions. People will always get sick and need to see the doctor, and that's good for our business. As for the boredom/repetition factor, that's largely based on your attitude, and no job can hand you happiness on a silver platter. Eyeballs are my passion, and I'll be happy doing this the rest of my life.
That's a good suggestion. And glad to hear from someone who likes their job!

Old 12-10-2015, 03:08 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,325,704 times
Quote:

In any case, most of the K-12 teachers that I had were just recycling old lesson plans from decades ago, and many of them gave Scan-tron tests that were scored by a machine. They very clearly spent little or no time working outside of the school day.
How long ago was this?

Old 12-10-2015, 05:23 PM

11,305 posts, read 18,899,294 times
Quote:
I am glad that you understand that there is a huge quality of life difference between a job that requires a very occasional late night, weekend, or holiday for an emergency, versus a job that requires long hours including nights, weekends, and holidays as a lifestyle. That is something that most posters, especially the "you get paid to do a job" crowd don't seem to understand. Also, under-hiring and then expecting extreme hours to meet routine deadlines should not be considered an emergency, contrary to what people on this forum think.

I have posted this many times but nobody agrees with me: I very firmly believe that every field should have at least 2 tracks: a climb the corporate ladder track, and a work-life balance track. Yes, the climb the corporate ladder track should pay more. But the work-life balance track should pay at least a minimal living wage for a family, should only expect employees to work weekends and holidays for extreme emergencies, and should offer job security unless an employee is truly incompetent and unwilling or unable to improve. Too bad nobody here agrees with me.
I wholeheartedly agree with you. Most of Europe probably agrees with you too Some (but not all) of this issue is a bigger problem in the US than elsewhere.....

Old 12-10-2015, 05:31 PM

22,595 posts, read 47,698,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haeley_Ramirez View Post
Does a Community college campus count?
No, that is not considered a government job.

Old 12-10-2015, 05:40 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,017,872 times
State job
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment