Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 04:45 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,233,940 times

Advertisements

Nooo, not teacher! We do a good 1-4 hours of work at home each day, depending on factors. That's why I became a teaching assistant, I got sick of so much unpaid work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 04:59 PM

199 posts, read 294,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
Nooo, not teacher! We do a good 1-4 hours of work at home each day, depending on factors. That's why I became a teaching assistant, I got sick of so much unpaid work.
Unpaid work? Hell nah

Old 12-09-2015, 05:21 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,914,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
The 2 most lucrative jobs that fit your description are 1- Politician & 2- Teacher.
Politician? That is nowhere near what you are looking for. Constant campaigning and raising money, appearance at all sorts of events. Sometimes even late night sessions. But if you have a huge ego and nothing better to do...

Old 12-09-2015, 05:26 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Dermatologist

Old 12-09-2015, 05:26 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,329,285 times
My suggestion (hope I'm not repeating someone) is to go to USAJobs and look for something there. You can get in at a lower rung job and work your way up. The pay scale is cut-and-dry. You every red number on the calendar off with pay. Weekends off. Usually you have a flex schedule or every other Friday off. You work your way up. Good benefits.

Old 12-09-2015, 06:18 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,554,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haeley_Ramirez View Post
I work at a community college now as an admin assistant. I guess im open to anything with that involves law, or like helping people, or crunching numbers.

This thread is not to ask where I can get a 9 to 5 I have it but now Im asking for industries where this is more common or like a specific job.
Court Reporter, Court House certain jobs desk jobs with the sheriff department have 9-5 type jobs.

Old 12-09-2015, 07:19 PM

25,579 posts, read 17,298,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haeley_Ramirez View Post
I'm an Admin assistant for a community college and doing some more research on positions and careers.
And the only job that seems to fit close to What I seek is teaching or my current job Admin Assistant.
Whats the best job to pursue that pays the most and gives you weekends and nights off ?
I don't want any job that is categorized as emergency personnel or takes call outs.
Sounds like the job you have is about as far as you are ever going to get. It's a competitive world and you're just.....not.

Old 12-09-2015, 08:06 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,589,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
The majority of professional careers are 8-5 with weekends off and paid holidays. Engineering gives you a nice starting pay but does tend to cap out early in the 6 figure range. For more need to move into executive positions.
I don't know about engineering, but most other professional jobs require erratic and/or long hours, and sometimes travel. They are professionals. They do what it takes for the results.

Lawyers work very long hours, many weekends, travel, and some holidays. So do their assistants, to a lesser degree. Lawyers also have to have continuing education, in addition to their full work load.

Doctors have long residencies, then in addition to their practices, they will have conventions and maintenance of their credentials through continuing education and training.

Most jobs that pay well and are fulfilling require either long or erratic hours in the beginning years. Once you get ina power position, you have control over your hours and no longer have to do the grunt work. You make your associates do that.

"Just a job" jobs have regular hours (clock punchers, burger joint workers, clerical workers, accounting pool people). Engineering may be an exception, although I would guess there are special projects and deadlines that require burning the midnight oil and weekend work.

Old 12-09-2015, 08:26 PM

199 posts, read 294,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Sounds like the job you have is about as far as you are ever going to get. It's a competitive world and you're just.....not.
Nope Unfortunately.

Old 12-09-2015, 08:59 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,074,841 times
I don't think wanting to have weekends, nights, and holidays off as a priority is strange at all. If your spouse/mate has weekends/nights/holidays off, it makes sense you might want to have those same times off to be able to take trips, spend time together, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTYankinME View Post
I'm very curious as to why "all you care about is having weekends, nights, and holidays off." I think an explanation for that criteria would garner more enlightened responses.

That's all you care about in a career? Really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment