Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 08:22 AM

715 posts, read 1,074,404 times

Advertisements

Please scratch Business Analyst off of your list. While it may be one of the few roles in IT that may have set hours, it is still very likely to have long hours or need to work weekends during crunch time on projects. The likelihood goes up exponentially if you are assigned to multiple projects.

I'm throwing another vote towards a government job. Federal is my preference, but State and Local should be similar. DH has worked for the Fed for over 10 years. He has probably worked 6-7 weekends in all that time. He may have occasionally worked an extra half hour (again very rare), but only because he wanted to get something done before going home, not by mandate. Working overtime is frowned upon since it would have to be approved and paid. All holidays off and as you build tenure, the vacation time plus sick time is just crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 08:39 AM

385 posts, read 441,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
The majority of professional careers are 8-5 with weekends off and paid holidays. Engineering gives you a nice starting pay but does tend to cap out early in the 6 figure range. For more need to move into executive positions.

Yep. Pretty much where I was going...^^^^

Though I will add that any job can make you work long hours and off hours. The trick is to learn how to have good, honest boundaries and to not be wedded to a particular job. Not all managers are good managers. A good one will understand your need to have a work/personal life balance, and any who do not should be left in the dust. That has worked well for me anyway.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:43 AM

385 posts, read 441,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangomadness View Post
Please scratch Business Analyst off of your list. While it may be one of the few roles in IT that may have set hours, it is still very likely to have long hours or need to work weekends during crunch time on projects. The likelihood goes up exponentially if you are assigned to multiple projects.

I'm throwing another vote towards a government job. Federal is my preference, but State and Local should be similar. DH has worked for the Fed for over 10 years. He has probably worked 6-7 weekends in all that time. He may have occasionally worked an extra half hour (again very rare), but only because he wanted to get something done before going home, not by mandate. Working overtime is frowned upon since it would have to be approved and paid. All holidays off and as you build tenure, the vacation time plus sick time is just crazy.
The problem with any government job is that your salary is at the whim of taxpayers who never think you are worth what you do. Expect to earn a good 30% less than private industry.

Though, having worked for the VA, if I had to pick a government job, it would definitely be a federal level position. Lots more stability at that level.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:46 AM

35,083 posts, read 31,331,023 times
There are very few people in government offices (county clerk type of stuff) that work over weekends.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:28 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,446,452 times
Quote:
I don't think teaching would fit the bill. Sure the scheduled hours do, but they spend a lot of time after that working on assignments, grading papers, etc.

Pretty much anything in an office with typical office hours and generally careers requiring a degree. Architect, accountant, anything in IT not in a support role, economists, many of the science fields, financial analyst, lawyers, actuaries, managers, etc etc.
Despite the dramatic monologues that teachers spout about "unpaid work" and extra hours spent, there schedule is not at all demanding, especially when you consider all the time off they have. I know many, many teachers that like teaching because of the flexibility it gives them in raising their families.

I don't mean to say that its an easy job; you have to put up with a lot and often are underappreciated, but I have to roll my eyes when they talk about how many hours they work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haeley_Ramirez View Post
Yes I agree
Im just looking at industries or professions where its more 9 to 5 routine than anything else.
You know in case of a layoff or something.
I want to be in a job/industry/profession where its mostly 9 to 5 with weekends off.
I don't mind admin assistant thou but if this kind of work is mostly 9 to 5 **** it but im just doing research.
If you have a idea of a job industry thats mostly 9 to 5 I appreciate the suggestion
Most industries and jobs where you don't deal with the end level consumer. Call centers, Retail, Healthcare, and essential public services (law enforcement, transit authorities, etc) are poor choices.

For example, you can get a job with a bank working in their offices, and have the schedule you're looking for, but if you apply for a job as a teller or in the call center, you have a more retail-like schedule. I had almost a dozen friends working for a large bank at one time, and most of them were in back office roles. No one went from the back office to Retail, but one went from a retail/call center type role to a supervisory, project management position. If you work in the call center for a cable company, you won't have the schedule you're looking for, but if you work in a call center supporting other businesses, you would...

Old 12-10-2015, 10:15 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,053,030 times
Quote:
I don't think teaching would fit the bill. Sure the scheduled hours do, but they spend a lot of time after that working on assignments, grading papers, etc.

What about gym teachers, who don't have any assignments to grade, and don't come up with lesson plans? What about elementary school art and music teachers?

In any case, most of the K-12 teachers that I had were just recycling old lesson plans from decades ago, and many of them gave Scan-tron tests that were scored by a machine. They very clearly spent little or no time working outside of the school day.

Old 12-10-2015, 10:20 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,053,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haeley_Ramirez View Post
Bolded
and also doesn't require carrying a pager ( on-call) or random call outs.
I am glad that you understand that there is a huge quality of life difference between a job that requires a very occasional late night, weekend, or holiday for an emergency, versus a job that requires long hours including nights, weekends, and holidays as a lifestyle. That is something that most posters, especially the "you get paid to do a job" crowd don't seem to understand. Also, under-hiring and then expecting extreme hours to meet routine deadlines should not be considered an emergency, contrary to what people on this forum think.

I have posted this many times but nobody agrees with me: I very firmly believe that every field should have at least 2 tracks: a climb the corporate ladder track, and a work-life balance track. Yes, the climb the corporate ladder track should pay more. But the work-life balance track should pay at least a minimal living wage for a family, should only expect employees to work weekends and holidays for extreme emergencies, and should offer job security unless an employee is truly incompetent and unwilling or unable to improve. Too bad nobody here agrees with me.

Old 12-10-2015, 10:48 AM

715 posts, read 1,074,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naadarien View Post
The problem with any government job is that your salary is at the whim of taxpayers who never think you are worth what you do. Expect to earn a good 30% less than private industry.

Though, having worked for the VA, if I had to pick a government job, it would definitely be a federal level position. Lots more stability at that level.
Well, OP asked about overtime, weekend, and holidays... can't have it all. At least the increases are there and known. Over time, one can be paid really well depending on the cap level on the position.

DH works for the VA. That's why I said I would prefer federal level over the others. State and Local levels are much more volatile and at the whim of newly elected officials and policy changes.

Old 12-10-2015, 10:59 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,428,834 times
Some other suggestions -

--Dental hygienist
--Some low level medical jobs like lab techs and physician assistants (in a doctors office). Of course, with many of the medical jobs you might have to put in years of working non - 8-5 shifts gaining experience in hospitals before you can get into the coveted 8 - 5 doctors office jobs.
--Administrative and other non-teaching positions within schools and universities would likely be 8 - 5. I'm talking positions like counselors, librarians, etc. Of course, positions like counselors and librarians generally need lots of education and often need advanced degrees.
--Many research positions in a variety of fields but these types of positions typically require lots of education and advanced degrees.
--As others have mentioned, many government office jobs have 8 - 5 hours, but most of those jobs require a minimum of a BA/BS to get in the door.

OP, you haven't said if you're willing to go through potentially 5+ years of college in order to get one of these 8 - 5 careers. With no education beyond high school, 8 - 5 job options are pretty-much limited to administrative positions.

Last edited by patches403; 12-10-2015 at 11:09 AM..

Old 12-10-2015, 11:12 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,686,536 times
Cross paralegal off your list right now.

When it comes trial time -- your life is taken over by the firm. No matter what you have planned -- you will have to work demanding hours -- nights (all-nighters many times), weekends and holidays (and most times you do not get overtime).

Also, lawyers are notoriously stingy when it comes to holidays -- expect the fewest number holidays, vacation days and any other benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment