Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 01:00 PM

1,188 posts, read 958,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
What the OP is suggesting is that we give up STEM degrees and have everybody go into finance or business so we all become managers.

Absolutely not. I haven't suggested anything in this thread.

But since you asked, my view is that we don't need to encourage anyone to go to college and we certainly don't need student loans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 01:07 PM

1,188 posts, read 958,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindside View Post
Maths? They eventually went to wall street. Physics and statistics as well.
Did you go to Yale or something? I went to a reputable state school, know quite a few Math and Physics majors from my graduating class, and none of them are working on Wall Street or doing anything near as lucrative as that.

Old 01-20-2016, 01:07 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,537,898 times
so everyone is blue collar? college isnt bad and the loans arent even that high. plus there are a lot of ways to get through college with no loans, or to get someone else to pay them off after the fact. sure you have to take a hit to your freedom to live how you want for a few years but its either that or years paying it off on your own with no help

Old 01-20-2016, 01:14 PM

17,149 posts, read 15,366,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
Absolutely not. I haven't suggested anything in this thread.

But since you asked, my view is that we don't need to encourage anyone to go to college and we certainly don't need student loans.
This I can agree with. One should only go to college if it's a requirement for a career they are particularly interested/passionate about.

My sister and I both went to college. We both have solid careers in our respective fields of study.
My brothers didn't go to college (one went to a tech school, the other one didn't go at all) and they are both just as successful as me and my sister in their careers.

It's all about the effort you put into whatever it is you do, and how good you are at it.

Old 01-20-2016, 01:18 PM

850 posts, read 902,054 times
Quote:
I feel sorry for people who believed a science degree would be there salvation in the job world. I see many unemployed or marginally employed people in these fields. People who studied their asses off in these competitive majors and then end up working $15/hr contract grunt work in labs before getting laid off. I think you're better off majoring in liberal arts. A Philsophy degree is just as employable as a Biology degree and with the former you at least can party for your 4 years in college.
Unfortunately, I agree that a science degree is no better than a philosophy/psychology/history degree.
I project that 60-70% of chemistry/Biology graduates that do not go to Med/Pharmacy/Dental/Vet school end up in $15 hour temp/contract jobs doing worthless grunt work that is doing absolutely nothing to build their resume or advance their science career.

I started off in a $17 hour temp job back in my home state of Georgia and spent 9+ months in that job. About 6 months into that job I did a nationwide search for full time chemists jobs and manage to land one in West Virginia with a decent starting salary for the area. However, I feel like the exception to the rule and not the norm of the typical science grad with limited experience.

If you are not planning to get into med/pharmacy/dental/or vet school you are pretty much taking a huge gamble with a science degree especially if you refuse to move to another state for a decent job.

Old 01-20-2016, 01:40 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,278,237 times
STEM needs to be broken out into SM and TE. Hard science and math are liberal arts - technology and engineering are different.

Old 01-20-2016, 01:56 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,936,058 times
I have been pondering this. The periodic table has only so many elements right? There are only so many ways to bond these elements together correct, and only so many combos? So we should have already discovered every possible material that can exists, and thereby their properties and applications? If so, how much do chemists make or should they make?

Or even better yet, biochemistry. There are only so many chemical compounds our bodies will respond too right? Shouldnt they have discovered all of them by now and what their effects are?

Old 01-20-2016, 01:58 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,600,145 times
Quote:
I feel sorry for people who believed a science degree would be there salvation in the job world. I see many unemployed or marginally employed people in these fields. People who studied their asses off in these competitive majors and then end up working $15/hr contract grunt work in labs before getting laid off. I think you're better off majoring in liberal arts. A Philsophy degree is just as employable as a Biology degree and with the former you at least can party for your 4 years in college.
I'm guessing you dropped out of an Engineering or science program because it was too hard for you and now you're bitter or feeling inadequate?

Old 01-20-2016, 02:04 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,936,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

There's a growing gap today as more and more Americans leaving the STEM specific careers and take on more business related careers within the STEM field.

At some point the government will be forced to allow more immigrant workers here on work visa because there are too few Americans that can do the work.
What they should do is make STEM more advanced in High school, and middle school. STEM is a fascinating and interesting topic, that everyone should just be well versed in simply because it is so fascinating and interesting.

Or lets just get rid of our educational industrial complex as it is. This whole k-12 is half useless, then you pay for expensive college to get the actual meat of it. But many professors and classes, and majors are not very good to begin with is just making university more like a money making machine.

Just privatize the K-12. Kids can learn what they want, when they want, and whatever level suits them.

Old 01-20-2016, 02:51 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,424,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I have been pondering this. The periodic table has only so many elements right? There are only so many ways to bond these elements together correct, and only so many combos? So we should have already discovered every possible material that can exists, and thereby their properties and applications? If so, how much do chemists make or should they make?

Or even better yet, biochemistry. There are only so many chemical compounds our bodies will respond too right? Shouldnt they have discovered all of them by now and what their effects are?
It is not the number of elements. All stable elements have been discovered. All the ones with a greater number of protons past 110 or so are unstable novelties created in a particle collider and only exist for nanoseconds. Their nuclei are just too big to be stable and decay radioactively almost immediately.

What we are discovering are new chemicals centered mainly Carbon or Silicon and in some cases Boron. Carbon atoms typically bond to 4 things and you can make elaborate compounds with long chains and rings of carbon and combined with oxygens, nitrogens, sulfurs, chlorines just to name a few. It is like the alphabet. There are only 26 letters but there is no limit to the number of books, poems, new stories etc. Same with chemicals there are infinite chemical compounds that can be created from common existing elements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment