Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 06:18 AM

18,502 posts, read 9,170,177 times

Advertisements

Anything that can go overseas will go overseas. Including "professional" jobs.

Start a landscaping business. Or a meth lab.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 06:28 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,926,748 times
It's good for skilled workers who live in or close to major metro areas.

Old 04-20-2016, 07:00 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,756,035 times
There are jobs for skilled people that pay well and jobs for unskilled people that pay minimum wage, and very little in between. The days where a relatively unskilled or low skilled person could break in to the middle class through hard work alone are now gone. The low/moderate intelligence, good work ethic American can fight for scraps with the rest of the third world now.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:35 AM

35,087 posts, read 31,331,023 times
It's all location and skill based. If you're in a depressed area, you're likely screwed. If you have some skills and are in/willing to be in a major metro, it's much better.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:40 AM

23,552 posts, read 24,057,818 times
Improving a lot, especially for knowledge workers.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:46 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
I'm in Seattle, it's crazy here. As HR Manager/Recruiter I've posted accounting jobs last year and had 60 resumes in a couple of days, this year, it was 10 for basically the same position.

Sorry man, look at the BLS, more jobs, more money being earned. If your skilled & struggling, it's time to relocate.
I'm having the same experience, 20-30 applicants rather than the usual 100 for positions paying $60-100k. The layoffs at places like Nordstrom are now offset by more hiring at places Amazon and Expedia, we have a much more diverse economy and that means more jobs.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:30 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,491,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Intel cutting 12,000 jobs

Intel to cut 12,000 jobs globally - Apr. 19, 2016

Tons of manufacturers heading off shore or to Mexico. My own company centralizing 5 million offices (It seems anyways) and hundreds of people losing their jobs as a result. Companies lowballing on job offers and controlling the market and all the shots.

Im always hearing how we have been pulled out of the "funk" but then you hear of all these job cuts going on all over the place. Its hard to believe America is thriving in any sense of the word when you constantly hear these stories every day.

Everyone constantly cutting expenses and trying to go "Lean and Mean" doesn't seem to coincide with a healthy job market to me anyways
If you want to actually solve problems try to stop blaming the others (liberals, conservatives, nuns) and try to build consensus against real problems.

I have zero interest in people trying to find things to blame others for and be offended by.

Old 04-20-2016, 12:36 PM

17,712 posts, read 29,839,573 times
Default Data are your friends

All this and more at Calculated Risk

Old 04-20-2016, 12:48 PM

30,649 posts, read 18,249,084 times
The job market is "improving," if you count the total number of jobs added over the years. The problem with that picture, however (and I've written pretty extensively on this here on CityData in the past), is that a great number of those jobs that have come back are part time and at lower wages than the jobs that were lost in the last 10 years. Also, our unemployment rate, with a few exceptions over the last 5 year or so, has been dropping not because of jobs being added, but due to people dropping out of labor force; I've also written extensively about this on here. But let me also put it this way: if the economy was really in such good shape, Democrats would have fared much better in 2014.

Edit:

Here is one such post that I made on the matter in the past, with supporting evidence:

Quote:
If Obama is doing such a great job, why did the Democrats just get voted out of power in the Senate if everything was so rosy?? First and foremost, the unemployment rate has largely decreased due to the fact that people dropped out of the work force/gave up looking for work. Here's a little taste of what's been happening: Unemployment Rate Drops for Wrong Reasons - Real Time Economics - WSJ. This is why our labor participation rate remains at a decade's low, which is not a good thing. Source: Labor Force Participation Rate September 2014 - Business Insider In total, one million more people have dropped out of the labor force than have found work under Obama (Source: Under Obama: One Million More Americans Have Dropped Out Of Work Force than Have Found a Job - Forbes). Moreover, to the extent that the "recovery" has created jobs, it has created far more low wage jobs than competitive/higher wage jobs (Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/28/bu...ones.html?_r=0). Again, that's hardly something to be proud of and is the reason why Obama/Democrats remain so unpopular.

Old 04-20-2016, 02:14 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,143,235 times
The problem with the job market is the political BS that goes with stating how many jobs are available.

The government will say that 1 million people got a job last month and things are great, but not say the jobs were 30 hrs a week and minimum wage, paying $800 a month and with the cost of living in a semi decent area typically requiring $13-14hr working full time for a single person just to barely get by on $27-30K, who on earth can live on $800-1000 a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment