Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 05:54 AM

762 posts, read 1,751,103 times

Advertisements

Kahlil Gibran wrote:
Work is love made visible.

And if you cannot work with love but only with distaste, it is better that you should leave your work and sit at the gate of the temple and take alms of those who work with joy.

For if you bake bread with indifference, you bake a bitter bread that feeds but half man's hunger.

And if you grudge the crushing of the grapes, your grudge distills a poison in the wine.

And if you sing though as angels, and love not the singing, you muffle man's ears to the voices of the day and the voices of the night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 08:06 AM

995 posts, read 1,696,620 times
It's hard to be passionate when you are working for someone else. If you have a strong passion and want to enjoy what you do, you need to be entrepreneurial.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:23 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idr591 View Post
It's hard to be passionate when you are working for someone else. If you have a strong passion and want to enjoy what you do, you need to be entrepreneurial.
I think I disagree with you. These things are mutually exclusive but often are found together. One can be passionate about their profession without being an entrepreneur. Now yes an entrepreneur has to be passionate but it isn't a direct correlation between both both ways. I am passionate about what I do in both jobs I work but I wouldn't go out and start a business of my own in either, mainly due to economies of scale, demand and start up cash required. The demand and the cash needed are often what cause me to think again on many avenues.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:49 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
I like my work well enough. Not my passion by any means. I decided to volunteer for a non-profit instead that suits my interests and can use my professional skills.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:56 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
My work was just work, just a job, until about 2 years ago. At that point it started to become a passion. I love my job and look forward to coming into work. But it took me 23+ years to feel that way, and probably would have never happened at any other job.

This job with this employer has thus far been the best one I've ever been a part of, and as I continue to grow and learn, so does my passion for it.
I like what I do, and mY challenges at work. I have enjoyed other jobs enough, and have a decent career going. But it is not remotely my passion. I think this is a bad aspiration. Not everyone is going to be passionate enough about something that pays the bills and helps them meet their financial goals.

You shouldn't dread going to work, it should offer some fulfillment and redeeming qualities. You should also find a way to spend time on and celebrate your passion. But you don't have to get paid for it.

One of my dream jobs is to be a personal shopper. It is not a particularly practical job. But sounds great for my retirement!

Old 09-08-2016, 10:04 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,053,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Um have you ever seen Rob from ComicsExplained? He's not exactly Jeremy from JeremyFragrance (a former model.) But instead he is knowledgeable and passionate about comics whether Marvel or DC. Sometimes it can work if you are a Joe Bronie that is average looking. Don't get me wrong, Jeremy from JeremyFragrance has much more views than most fragrance reviewers possibly due to his looks and connections to get girls on while most don't.
Then again, I've seen female comic personalities not get views as good as Rob does...
Again, I do not have anything that I am passionate enough about to do a YouTube video on. And it seems the agreement is that the chances of making any money from it are slim anyway.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:09 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,996,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Not everyone is going to be passionate enough about something that pays the bills and helps them meet their financial goals.
Good way of summing things up.

If you do have a passion that you can turn into a career thats great! But its unreasonable expect that of everyone else.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:09 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,053,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_midnight View Post
I did not say to have a passion that leads to a side business. I said to work on a side business to quit your day job.

What is the point of that? It will mean working even longer hours, and most likely making even less money. Sounds like a bad deal.

Quote:
You are a salaried employee that is being used by your employer and they are taking your FREE HOURS from you. You are paid for 40 hours per week, yet you work more hours and they get the extra money in free labor. If you're going to do that, you might as well make the profit and go into business for yourself.

But I won't be making as much profit myself as my employer makes. So again, your idea makes no sense at all.

Quote:
The side business does not have to be a passion, but at least you won't be working for free then getting laid off one day because your salary became too high and they found a person willing to do your work for less money.

But most businesses fail, which is even worse than being laid off from an employer since your salary got to high.

Quote:
You asked what about the rest of us, I gave you examples. You choose to make excuses.

Being realistic is not making excuses!!

Quote:
Being lazy and not exercising is ideal for me, I'm not suited for exercise either, but I'd rather not be overweight. Take that for what it's worth.

Not sure what that has to do with anything. What I mean is that entrpeneurship is not something I am suited for, meaning that I am not likely to succeed as an entrepreneur, nor am I likely to enjoy it. So what's the point? I keep saying: my job might not be ideal, but it is the best option available to me.

Quote:
The internet is the medium that allows for someone without a lot of money to start a business and not go in the hole in business loan debt. You brought up excuses about not being good looking, I think we can agree that this guy doesn't fit the mold of good looking and yet he has over 3 million subscribers:

Again, I don't have any passion to market online. I have zero desire to start a business, whether online or offline. I do not understand why you are trying to force me to do something that I have no desire to do at all. How does it affect you?

Old 09-08-2016, 10:30 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,996,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post

Being realistic is not making excuses!!

Not sure what that has to do with anything. What I mean is that entrpeneurship is not something I am suited for, meaning that I am not likely to succeed as an entrepreneur, nor am I likely to enjoy it. So what's the point? I keep saying: my job might not be ideal, but it is the best option available to me.

Again, I don't have any passion to market online. I have zero desire to start a business, whether online or offline. I do not understand why you are trying to force me to do something that I have no desire to do at all. How does it affect you?
There seems to be an assumption that what will work for me, should work for anybody/everybody else.

Despite different people having different aptitudes, temperaments, situations.....

Old 09-08-2016, 12:04 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,987,069 times
A fortunate *few* are lucky enough to be able to make a living doing what they love. Others do what they love and let others -- family, friends, lovers, spouses, or the taxpayers -- pay their bills for them. Most of us just take a job to pay our own bills and pursue our passions on our own time. My problem with the whole "follow your dream" advice to young people today is that it encourages them to sit around until they're fifty waiting to be discovered. I work hard to support myself, and everyone else should, too! Pursue your passion when you retire, after you've earned your social security.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment