Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 06:04 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,053,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_midnight View Post
Some people are lucky enough that their passion also happens to be a well paying job. Others have great paying jobs that they hate (many lawyers I know feel this way, doctors as well). Some passions pay nothing (stamp collecting), but in this day & age, you could probably host a website and Youtube channel that could generate decent revenue. My opinion is this:

You either work in your passion (career) or you hold a job that limits you to 40 hours a week with 1.5 pay minimum for any overtime work. It makes no sense to work on salary for a job you aren't passionate about. Commissioned sales is another option. If you take the job route, limit it to 40 hours as much as possible and work on your passion on your off time.
Unfortunately, most "professional" fields do not offer jobs that limit you to 40 hours per week or that pay 1.5 pay minimum for overtime.

Quote:
Again, with the above net advice, you might actually be able to quit your day job thanks to the income from online sources.
That only seems to be an option for young, good looking women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 10:44 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Your career job should still have something to do with your passions such as being helpful or engaging enough to keep you interested.
You would hope so but it don't often happen that way sadly.

Old 09-06-2016, 11:45 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,479,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I remember growing up hearing from everyone around me (teachers, counselors, parents, etc.) that your job should be your PASSION and that you should look forward to it. I've found the exact opposite to be true. Jobs are a pain in the ass - backstabbing coworkers, meaningless work, mind-numbing repetition, micromanaging bosses, having to get up at the crack of dawn and fight traffic every day. What's so great about that?!

I'm financially preparing for an early retirement, and my job will (hopefully) provide the means to get there. That is why I continue to show up every day, to pay the bills and plan for a time when I will no longer have to show up to work. There is no passion. It's a means to an end.
Money is the big motivator. Don't get me wrong.. one should try to find a reasonable balance. I'm not passionate enough to go to work without getting paid, or being underpaid, but at the same time, it's interesting and unique enough to keep me going at times. OTOH, you couldn't pay me enough to do jobs like firefighter, soldier, or even waiting tables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Some professions can be geared for the passionate. Teachers, pastors, artists, etc. For the rest of us, work is just a four letter word.
Even then for them, getting paid relatively lower and trying to make ends meet can be a challenge. It's great if you have one earner who makes enough $$ to tide things through while the other can pursue a truer passion.

To give credit where credit is due, my BIL gave up a fairly nice job so that my sister could pursue an MBA at a pretty highly ranked school, so he too made sacrifices on his end.

Old 09-07-2016, 02:32 AM

270 posts, read 274,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Unfortunately, most "professional" fields do not offer jobs that limit you to 40 hours per week or that pay 1.5 pay minimum for overtime.

That only seems to be an option for young, good looking women.
I never said to go into a professional field. I specifically wrote job as in a 9-5, hourly waged gig. What you are proposing is a career and I already gave my stance on that.

As for the option for good looking women, really? There are so many blogs featuring not so attractive people. The same goes for Youtube. You sound like a person that likes to make excuses.

Old 09-07-2016, 03:54 AM

1,104 posts, read 920,077 times
If you have a passion, you'd automatically follow it. So the advice is technically redundant. It's just garbage advice designed to throw you offtrack.

Old 09-07-2016, 04:31 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,606,931 times
Passion is great but it needs opportunity. My passion may be illustrating and my dream maybe to illustrate for Disney or Dream Works but if we work is not up to snuff or there are people who have a better portfolio then I do, then for the moment I am out of luck.

If passion alone was enough to find work then the only unemployment you would have would be retired people and people who for whatever disability are unable to work. Passion is great, passion is excellent, passion is what fuels us. But to say something like "follow your passion, only work for your passion" is a bit flawed. Unless you turn that passion into a job, passion will not pay the cell phone bill, car insurance, bills etc...

Old 09-07-2016, 08:51 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,356,633 times
I love what I do and have been doing it for over 18 years now. I don't plan on leaving for another 22 at least. At this point I would not mind working here for another 32 years. A former director put in over 51 years here and that has always intrigued me that someone could stay at the same job for that many years. Some say that it is a rarity to do that. Interesting thing is we have multiple people that have been here for over 40 years. Our next 50 year employee hits that mark in a year and a half.

Not that these are unique to a few here. Each year we take an online survey asking about our satisfaction here at work. It is a blind survey completed by an outside company. Our answers are confidential. Over 85% of the staff responded which is considered a high number of people responding to that kind of survey. More than 72% of employees at our healthcare system like being here. The only number where this dipped down was with employees in the 18 to 25 year bracket. Many of them consider this a job and they could get another one somewhere else. For that age bracket the job satisfaction numbers dip down to the 51% level. Still high but our administration found that to be a problem.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:19 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
If you have a passion, you'd automatically follow it. So the advice is technically redundant. It's just garbage advice designed to throw you offtrack.
Well yes but not all passions bring in the money. I like being a teacher but the pay isn't the best

Old 09-07-2016, 10:05 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,053,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_midnight View Post
I never said to go into a professional field. I specifically wrote job as in a 9-5, hourly waged gig. What you are proposing is a career and I already gave my stance on that.

What about those of us who are in professional fields? What options do we have at this point?

Quote:
As for the option for good looking women, really? There are so many blogs featuring not so attractive people. The same goes for Youtube.

How do you make money with a blog or with Youtube? Aren't they free to view?

Quote:
You sound like a person that likes to make excuses.

You consider being realistic to be "making excuses"?

Old 09-07-2016, 10:15 AM

658 posts, read 848,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
I have found that typically when someone is able to follow their true "passion", there is usually someone else paying the bills.
You spoke the truth here, but people will argue you tooth and nail over it. I have decided to be realistic about those who proclaim they threw caution to the wind with only $10 in their pocket and pursued their passion. This type of situation is an outlier but it has become the mantra for following one's dream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment