Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2016, 10:16 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,335,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
How do you make money with a blog or with Youtube? Aren't they free to view?
Check out social media marketing. Ok so it can be difficult to build a following but many platforms such as youtube do pay you money based on the number of visits to your post. For example my kids watch Stampy Cat, along with millions of others doing the same thing. Every time you click to watch, you also see advertising. The revenue is shared between the person posting the video and the company hosting the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeRVKoxLgVI

It is reported that Joseph Garret the creator of the Stampy Cat Minecraft videos is worth $4million and growing. He has 30 million viewers a week watching his videos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 10:38 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,042,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Check out social media marketing. Ok so it can be difficult to build a following but many platforms such as youtube do pay you money based on the number of visits to your post. For example my kids watch Stampy Cat, along with millions of others doing the same thing. Every time you click to watch, you also see advertising. The revenue is shared between the person posting the video and the company hosting the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeRVKoxLgVI

It is reported that Joseph Garret the creator of the Stampy Cat Minecraft videos is worth $4million and growing. He has 30 million viewers a week watching his videos.
And what if we don't have a "passion" that lends itself to YouTube videos?

Old 09-07-2016, 12:32 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,335,318 times
Quote:
Not sure what you should do then. I only pretend to have answers that others want to hear. I can not solve the problem of job passions. I am so sorry. LOL

Old 09-07-2016, 12:40 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,885,452 times
Quote:
What about those of us who are in professional fields? What options do we have at this point?
Side business (if you have the time) or maybe go into freelance or contract work.

Quote:
ow do you make money with a blog or with Youtube? Aren't they free to view?
First off, you can't play the short game. This is post three videos and then give up because you have a combined hundred views. I know of many YouTube content creators and been a blogger off and on for some time, some posts take off, some don't. Some give you single views, some turn into let me check out other stuff from them while others turn into instant subscriptions. YouTube is the most likely way to make actual money. Blogs require you to basically set up a store or patrion page. It is really good for marketing products and keeping your 20% of customers who give give you 80% of your business through repeats. YouTube you can make money off of views as well as these other revenue streams

Quote:
You consider being realistic to be "making excuses"?
I don't but others do...

Old 09-07-2016, 01:02 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,358,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
I love my job & look forward to it everyday. Sometimes it does get tough but overall it is a satisfying career. If you dont feel this way then you are stuck in the wrong career path & should consider switching tracks. Over the years you should easily get promotions & lead others. Thats how you know that you are cut out for your job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
This is probably for another thread, but I don't agree that everyone should be getting promoted up to a managerial level. Not everyone is cut out for that or really wants to do that. There are plenty of people who are cut out for what they're doing, but wouldn't necessarily thrive as the boss.
Totally agree, Jowel. Great SMEs may not be good managers...and many people become managers because they are lousy at their job and (crazily) get promoted out - not that they're good managers either!

Over time, companies can get top heavy with more and more managerial positions created because apparently SOME people scream and holler for promotions. Too many chiefs and not enough people actually doing the work.

Old 09-07-2016, 01:07 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,358,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
It's not just luck; it's knowing what you like and not always following the money. My job doesn't pay a whole lot. It pays my bills, but if I had gone for a position that I actually got my degree in, I would have made a lot more money and not enjoyed the work as much. Part of choosing the right path is thinking outside of the box and being willing to put up with some drawbacks in order to enjoy the time you spend at work. For most of us, a large percentage of our working hours are spent working. It's a shame if we don't like it and even actively hate it.
There is a lot of ground between love passionately and hating your job. Most of the time it's not one or the other....sometimes it is a bit of both. There are VERY few things in this life that I love 100% all the time and it is not realistic to expect to LOVE your job every day for 40 years - you are setting yourself up for failure if that is your expectation out of the gate. You can work toward that and work at things you're good at, it's a good start. What most people do at some point in their life is put their job on the back burner and get more of their enjoyment from spouse, family, and hobbies. And there's nothing wrong with that. You can make a living and not be passionate about your job.

Old 09-07-2016, 01:55 PM

226 posts, read 198,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
I have found that typically when someone is able to follow their true "passion", there is usually someone else paying the bills.
Yes. OR-this passionate job does not pay well or have insurance. All of the things I would love to do are not actual jobs that would provide that.

Old 09-07-2016, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
I have a friend who got laid off some time ago. He job hunted for a long time. He finally got hired (sigh of relief), but its not a job he is passionate about.

He tolerates the new job, and he is lucky to have that job.

Often, people simply have to take what is available.
Or as I have said, if you don't want to work for the Man, then have an alternate Plan.

Old 09-07-2016, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
It's not just luck; it's knowing what you like and not always following the money. My job doesn't pay a whole lot. It pays my bills, but if I had gone for a position that I actually got my degree in, I would have made a lot more money and not enjoyed the work as much. Part of choosing the right path is thinking outside of the box and being willing to put up with some drawbacks in order to enjoy the time you spend at work. For most of us, a large percentage of our working hours are spent working. It's a shame if we don't like it and even actively hate it.
It's not just luck; it's knowing what you like and not always following the money. THAT is exactly correct. People are so money focused, so focused on "climbing the ladder" and getting promotions-that they likely don't really know what their passions are. Work better be about more than money due to the huge chunks of time we have to spend at it.

Old 09-07-2016, 02:24 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,500,225 times
Quote:
Blogs can be monetized. Google it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment