Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 07:19 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,084,852 times

Advertisements

Jobs are sometimes more than just ones "Passion".....they also provide a person with "identity".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 07:47 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
It's not just luck; it's knowing what you like and not always following the money. My job doesn't pay a whole lot. It pays my bills, but if I had gone for a position that I actually got my degree in, I would have made a lot more money and not enjoyed the work as much. Part of choosing the right path is thinking outside of the box and being willing to put up with some drawbacks in order to enjoy the time you spend at work. For most of us, a large percentage of our working hours are spent working. It's a shame if we don't like it and even actively hate it.
Yep Lord knows teaching isn't a great paying job...

Old 09-06-2016, 01:30 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,281,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I remember growing up hearing from everyone around me (teachers, counselors, parents, etc.) that your job should be your PASSION and that you should look forward to it. I've found the exact opposite to be true. Jobs are a pain in the ass - backstabbing coworkers, meaningless work, mind-numbing repetition, micromanaging bosses, having to get up at the crack of dawn and fight traffic every day. What's so great about that?!

I'm financially preparing for an early retirement, and my job will (hopefully) provide the means to get there. That is why I continue to show up every day, to pay the bills and plan for a time when I will no longer have to show up to work. There is no passion. It's a means to an end.
I always enjoy your postings and am in agreement with this.
My job isn't bad. But it's not a passion and never was. It's a means to an end.

Old 09-06-2016, 02:34 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
Your career job should still have something to do with your passions such as being helpful or engaging enough to keep you interested.

Old 09-06-2016, 03:17 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,589,099 times
I truly loved my career job. I loved going to work Mondays and seeing all the unhappy faces on the roads.
After a nice weekend with the family, I would get a little smirk on my face thinking about Monday. Not sure if it was a passion, but I did like it very much.

Old 09-06-2016, 05:46 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,053,030 times
Quote:
I remember growing up hearing from everyone around me (teachers, counselors, parents, etc.) that your job should be your PASSION and that you should look forward to it. I've found the exact opposite to be true. Jobs are a pain in the ass - backstabbing coworkers, meaningless work, mind-numbing repetition, micromanaging bosses, having to get up at the crack of dawn and fight traffic every day. What's so great about that?!
Exactly!! It is so frustrating when people on this forum tell people that their job should be their passion. Most of us don't have anything we are passionate about that pays the bills. Even if we do have something we truly enjoy, we don't enjoy doing it 40+ hours per week on somebody else's terms. And, even if somebody does enjoy that, the working conditions are likely to kill that passion.

Most of us are stuck in whatever field we chose as our college major when we were 18, and had basically no life experience. I hose a major that interested me academically. Unfortunately, the real world is nothing like college. Instead of choosing a major that you enjoy academically (which gives you 4 good years), people should choose a major that they can tolerate, that will allow the quality of life that they want, and is plentiful in the area where they want to live. Unfortunately, no 18 year olds are going to think that way.

Quote:
I'm financially preparing for an early retirement, and my job will (hopefully) provide the means to get there. That is why I continue to show up every day, to pay the bills and plan for a time when I will no longer have to show up to work. There is no passion. It's a means to an end.
The problem is, what do you plan to use for health insurance if you retire before you are eligible for Medicare, or if Medicare doesn't exist at all by then? You won't be able to afford private insurance, especially if you develop even a minor medical problem by then, which, unfortunately, almost everybody will.

Old 09-06-2016, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Yeah, pretty much. I have also been making a point to take more vacations too, which I'm passionate about. I'm pretty cheap when I travel, so it works out okay.
But what do you plan to do when you retire with no medical insurance, and then you get a bill for your entire life savings for surgery or even just a few days at the hospital?

Old 09-06-2016, 05:51 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,206,432 times
My career was my passion. I put a ton of time and effort (not to mention, all told, 18 years to get there) and it was just the dream job I had hoped it would be. I loved my work - looked forward to my work every day. I could've done that stuff to age 70.

But backstabbing power hungry role-playing people (who even didn't belong in that field if that's what they were looking for) and totally childish junk, going on daily, totally screwed the whole career up. 2 re-locations and 22 years later, I'd had just enough. I have some theories on what a big part of the problem was but can't put it here because the moderators will slap my hands. Lets just say two people who had it in for each other (absolutely nothing to do with me), would never fight face to face but brought their bile into my office to pester me with it every stinkin' day! Oh...they went face to face alright - finally! A few months after this "buffer zone" (reluctantly) retired.

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 09-06-2016 at 06:45 PM..

Old 09-06-2016, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Of course.

I do the minimum necessary to extract the maximum value. No...and I mean none, zero...activities are taken upon by me that do not increase my value-add to myself. Not for "the company" or anyone else, though I do try and grow junior people to if nothing else learn how the business world really works.

I'll retire at 60, when my mortgage is paid off, or at 62 if I can tolerate it. Work is not a passion, it is a set of rather unique skills brought to the table and leveraged for (great) money.

Most people believing otherwise are severely disappointed eventually, if it takes one year or ten.
If you retire at age 60 or even 62, what do you plan to use for medical insurance before you are eligible for Medicare, if it even exists by then? Or do you have one of those government or unionized jobs that provide health insurance for life?

Old 09-06-2016, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
I love my job & look forward to it everyday. Sometimes it does get tough but overall it is a satisfying career. If you dont feel this way then you are stuck in the wrong career path & should consider switching tracks. Over the years you should easily get promotions & lead others. Thats how you know that you are cut out for your job.
Switching careers is not an option for most of us. Most of us don't have the time or money to back to college and start all over again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment