Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 12:57 PM

1,166 posts, read 877,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Authority should be questioned if power is in the hands of complete idiots who have no clue what the hell they are doing
Which is the case 9 times out of 10. I saw this while I was at the dealership, it was bought out by another local dealership and we got another service manager that was above my former manager. This guy had never worked on a car in his life, didn't know the difference between a ball joint and a tie rod, and had no idea how long a job actually took (i.e. everything can be done in 15 minutes). Yet he was the head of the service departments for 4 dealerships. I never saw him do anything besides walk around, drink coffee and play on his cell phone all day, yet this guy was making 6 figures while I busted my ass and didn't make a quarter of what he did. I did more work on accident than this guy did on purpose.

Whenever there was a problem in service, he would always run and ask my former managner, who I didn't get along with but he knew his stuff when it came to cars as he was a former tech as well, and had been service manager for 15+ years. He could never handle a problem by himself and constantly needed his hand held. He was a pencil pusher for all intents and purposes, always concerned about numbers but had no idea how those numbers were actually achieved.

In my experience, the person in power just kissed enough ass and stepped on enough toes to get to the top, and that is by no means worthy of respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 01:01 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,645,984 times
Of course it's part of their personality. Your entire behavior (anything you do) comes from your personality!

I personally don't like authority. I hate being told what to do. Absolutely hate it. If you expect me to behave a certain way, I won't do it. Let me do what I want.

So I hope to never be pulled over by the police.

Old 06-20-2017, 01:07 PM

16,080 posts, read 21,168,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
This is not about me. This is a discussion about the bigger picture, about why some people always bow to authority and see all authority as justified, those who don't see any authority as justifed, and those with feelings somewhere in the middle. This is not a finger pointing contest about how "it's all your fault OP because you're a bad person and everyone else is great".

As lots of people will say "The world doesn't revolve around you or me" and neither does this thread. It's about a concept bigger than you or me that I find very interesting and would like other's points of view.
Always? How many people do you know who are always one way or another? I'd be willing to bet not very many.
And what do you mean by 'fight'? Do you mean refusing to follow laws/rules, or do you mean working to change them? Do you fight all rules just on general principal or only those that annoy or restrict you personally?

Old 06-20-2017, 01:08 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,424,866 times
Quote:
What do you think the main difference is between a person who always bows to authority and a person who is always fighting against whatever authority is in place?
Medication.

Old 06-20-2017, 01:10 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,457,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Always? How many people do you know who are always one way or another? I'd be willing to bet not very many.
And what do you mean by 'fight'? Do you mean refusing to follow laws/rules, or do you mean working to change them? Do you fight all rules just on general principal or only those that annoy or restrict you personally?
Great post!

For most people it would depend on the specific situation.
There are just too many variables to even reply to this thread.

Old 06-20-2017, 01:24 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,120,088 times
I prefer govt to private sector at the low to mid level. Govt has very slow rigourous processes for everything that must be followed. Private sector can make snap decisions that can have profound effects on your livelihood or life.

This is why I am not for the privatization of everything, Joe the land owner can make what ever whimsical decision he wants and not beholden to voters or really anyone and that's an issue. That's real life between you and Joe where Joes real time decisions can directly effect you in a very negative way.

Yes govt at VERY high levels can be corrupt but in MOST cases don't effect your daily life in the same way Joes decisions can if Joe owns significant assets that you are forced to rent out or if Joe is one of the few employers in town paying more than $10/hr. You will pander to Joe or life will get very hard ... that's not a society I want to live in, I want to live somewhere where there are meaningful and significant recourse against Joe.

Old 06-20-2017, 01:36 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,457,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Medication.
hysterical and good answer!

Old 06-20-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Medication.
I don't understand the joke. Are you saying that anyone who fights authority needs medication, or those that don't fight authority do so because they are on medication?

Old 06-20-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
I prefer govt to private sector at the low to mid level. Govt has very slow rigourous processes for everything that must be followed. Private sector can make snap decisions that can have profound effects on your livelihood or life.

This is why I am not for the privatization of everything, Joe the land owner can make what ever whimsical decision he wants and not beholden to voters or really anyone and that's an issue. That's real life between you and Joe where Joes real time decisions can directly effect you in a very negative way.

Yes govt at VERY high levels can be corrupt but in MOST cases don't effect your daily life in the same way Joes decisions can if Joe owns significant assets that you are forced to rent out or if Joe is one of the few employers in town paying more than $10/hr. You will pander to Joe or life will get very hard ... that's not a society I want to live in, I want to live somewhere where there are meaningful and significant recourse against Joe.

I totally agree with what you said. There needs to be recourse available against ALL authority figures.

Old 06-20-2017, 01:41 PM

16,080 posts, read 21,168,153 times
Quote:
I don't understand the joke. Are you saying that anyone who fights authority needs medication, or those that don't fight authority do so because they are on medication?
yes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment