Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 02:22 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,999,324 times

Advertisements

Friends in the sense that we're on Facebook and once in a blue moon (like once every 6 months) we go out for drinks. I have friends and then FRIENDS. I've never had a coworker come over my house and I've never gone over to a coworkers house unless they were throwing a party for a group of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 02:39 PM

1,251 posts, read 1,077,494 times
Never! Cordial and professional at work. That's all I need to know about you.

Old 08-15-2017, 03:21 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,423,146 times
Well, I met my husband at work, so.....

Old 08-15-2017, 05:38 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,344,542 times
I'm a big believer in the saying" Familiarity breeds contempt"
I also never tell anyone anything that I would be afraid of reading on the front page of tomorrow's paper.
There is an innate propensity for people to want power and authority as they age and I've seen many times how what one says will be used against you by people who have an agenda.

Old 08-15-2017, 06:34 PM

22,158 posts, read 19,210,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Sol View Post
I don't care if I come across as "standoffish." I get paid to do a job, not chat and make friends.
i have actually been told i am stand offish at work.
I said exactly what you said here, I am here to do a job, let's talk about my job performance. and my productivity. and the process improvements I have implemented. and my response time to requests. and the projects I took on that nobody else wanted.

just give me a stack of work to do and let me do my job. i like to keep busy. i don't like to chit chat. i don't like drama.

i have also noticed that the people who say someone is "standoffish" are the ones with lousy personal boundaries who want to gossip, or stir up drama, or are inappropriate with touch.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:05 PM

285 posts, read 225,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
i have actually been told i am stand offish at work.
I said exactly what you said here, I am here to do a job, let's talk about my job performance. and my productivity. and the process improvements I have implemented. and my response time to requests. and the projects I took on that nobody else wanted.

just give me a stack of work to do and let me do my job. i like to keep busy. i don't like to chit chat. i don't like drama.

i have also noticed that the people who say someone is "standoffish" are the ones with lousy personal boundaries who want to gossip, or stir up drama, or are inappropriate with touch.
Same here. A manager at an old job told me I was "not a team player" and "standoffish" because I kept to myself, focused on my job, and didn't socialize. She was a big time gossip queen and somewhat of a bully.

Old 08-16-2017, 02:22 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,150,696 times
the answer is no. There are some things I let sly at work, only because I get a Salary. I would not let those same things sly off the clock. long story short, friends are made during my school years, in Adult years, co workers, neighbors, those common faces in my child's school are acquaintances. It is harder to trust others Since I am older. after all, I would not be friends with co workers, if we both are competing for a promotion, or a love interest.

Co workers will never have the bond as a true friend. Some co workers put on the mask , as soon as they step foot on the workplace.

Old 08-16-2017, 03:30 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,186,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinsey86 View Post
Did all of my career without any issue.
Ditto, never had a problem either, but I retired in the Nineties.

My feeling is from observing and listening to people who have become adults in the Eighties or later is that they live in a far different society than I did, even if we technically live in the same country. Paranoia and super-sensitivity reign supreme throughout the culture now, so I can understand why many people would not consider a friendship with a fellow worker.

Old 08-16-2017, 06:33 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,229,478 times
No. We all get along great, but I spend all day with them; when I'm off the clock, my time is for my family.

Old 08-16-2017, 06:37 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,274,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAinTexas View Post
Or do you believe there are boundaries, where work people stay at work, and you find friends who don't work with you?

Why or why not?
I used to befriend coworkers but I no longer do. This is more due to the changing face of IT and my own place in it.

Used to be that everyone in IT was my age or older. Now most of my coworkers are younger than I am and a greater percentage of them than ever are male and south Asian. Culturally speaking, they're incompatible as friends simply because south Asian men don't really befriend white women and vice versa. Millennials are nice enough at work but they don't seem to like hanging around old farts. There are a few people here around my age or older that I pal around with at work, but other than that I come in, do my job, and leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment