Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 09:07 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,477,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becki in Tx. View Post
I recently told my boss that I was looking for something else. We have a great relationship and they knew that this was a high stress position for me and getting worse. They tried to find another position in their company for me but it is a small mom and pop business and so finances are not all there.
This is normal at the places I've worked.

People are human beings and most proceed to act like human beings towards their fellow human beings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 04:13 PM

494 posts, read 502,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
I just sent an email telling him that I have two interviews next week. Even though I "feel stupid" for doing this, I felt like it was the right thing to do. My current boss has been awesome with me so I wanted to pay him back with the same respect that he has shown me. Would you guys have done the same thing?
Normally, it would be stupid. Unless you're being told that you're being laid off, where's the benefit for you? Your employer likely would not give you a heads-up if they were looking for people to replace you, would they? So, why extend them the same courtesy because you're looking for a new employer. Secure the new job via a written offer, then notify your employer. If you've a good relationship, then your old boss should be happy to provide a good reference.

Old 09-19-2017, 04:18 AM

3,143 posts, read 2,661,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Now that's just weird. No one contacts your current employer in this country. Did you tell the hiring manager to call your boss?
No I didn't. But they asked for all the information like phone number, name of employment, etc...

Old 09-19-2017, 04:24 AM

3,143 posts, read 2,661,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick85395 View Post
Normally, it would be stupid. Unless you're being told that you're being laid off, where's the benefit for you? Your employer likely would not give you a heads-up if they were looking for people to replace you, would they? So, why extend them the same courtesy because you're looking for a new employer. Secure the new job via a written offer, then notify your employer. If you've a good relationship, then your old boss should be happy to provide a good reference.
I agree. Normally I wouldn't, but again, these weren't normal circumstances:

1) My boss already knew that I would be here one year or less. Him and I established that from the get go. He knows my career goals and aspiration so there were no secrets. The two interviews I had are very hard to get and are very competitive. Hundreds of people apply, only 4 of them get interviews.

2) since i applied with the government, they may check my current employer to see if I work there. If they call my current boss, I would at least want to give him the courtesy to tell them that they MAY call him.

3) I wouldn't say I'm actively looking for employment. These positions I applied for, I applied for them two weeks before I applied with my current job. They just now getting to me.

But you're right, under normal circumstances, I wouldn't tell my boss that I had an interview(s), but since everything was out in the open, I figured it's best to hear from me then to potentially hear from someone else.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:12 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,941,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
No I didn't. But they asked for all the information like phone number, name of employment, etc...
They shouldn't have asked for that. Sounds like their HR person overstepped their bounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment