Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 03:22 PM

7 posts, read 4,531 times

Advertisements

I'm currently working as a package handler at UPS. Honestly, I don't like it and the pay is pretty bad. I've been trying to find something else and I recently was offered a position in sales. I'm gonna take it (for now at least), but I don't know how to tell my current boss. I know you're supposed to give a two weeks notice, but this new offer happened super fast. They called me Monday, interviewed Tuesday, second interviewed Wednesday, and now I have the job and start next Monday. It happened so fast. I don't know how to tell my boss that I'm quitting. Should I tell him right away? Should I wait until the last day, which is Friday? I don't know...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 03:34 PM

5,117 posts, read 6,097,097 times
DO you care what s/he thinks? Will you have to cross paths with him/her ever? Did s/he know you were unhappy? Personally I believe in being upfront and telling them right away. Even if you don't think you will work with or for them in the future I don't believe in burning bridges. And by the way I have worked with/for prior bosses several times. I have also used them as suppliers and known folks that have sold product to former supervisors. Reputation follows you.

Old 08-01-2018, 03:35 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,962,827 times
If you tell him the truth tomorrow morning will he appreciate it? Quitting with 2 days notice isn't much better than quitting with no notice. Are you sure you will like the sales job when you get there? What if you find out it's a big mistake on Monday? The safest thing for you to do is call in sick Monday at UPS. Make sure you like the Sales job and then tell him Tuesday morning on the phone that you just don't want to work there any more and you won't be coming back. Would the boss give you a two week notice if he was firing you?

Old 08-01-2018, 03:37 PM

80 posts, read 50,223 times
"Boss, I quit."

Old 08-01-2018, 03:39 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,222,483 times
Give as much notice as you can and clearly explain your reasoning. I always cared what former employers thought. You never know when you might need a reference and burning bridges isn't the best way to achieve that.

Good luck on your new job. Hope you enjoy it!

Old 08-01-2018, 03:42 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,393,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyedyeguy View Post
"Boss, I quit."
In person. Face to face.

Old 08-01-2018, 03:51 PM

7 posts, read 4,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
If you tell him the truth tomorrow morning will he appreciate it? Quitting with 2 days notice isn't much better than quitting with no notice. Are you sure you will like the sales job when you get there? What if you find out it's a big mistake on Monday? The safest thing for you to do is call in sick Monday at UPS. Make sure you like the Sales job and then tell him Tuesday morning on the phone that you just don't want to work there any more and you won't be coming back. Would the boss give you a two week notice if he was firing you?
The one thing I'm worried about is that I already asked for a day off in order to do the interview that conflicted with my work schedule. He didn't seem too pleased, but ultimately said okay. I'm afraid that if I come in the next day and tell him I was offered a position that's a better fit for me, he might put two and two together and realize that's why I didn't work, which could leave a bad impression.

Old 08-01-2018, 04:09 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,050,684 times
For such a low end job just give them a two week notice. Tell them "my last date will be XX/XX" and let them know that it was nice but that you're moving onto other opportunities.

You're putting too much thought into this, it's likely that the manager won't care all that much. I mean, don't burn the bridge, but just say that you're going to be doing other things.

I agree that two days notice is basically the same as walking out in the middle of the day. The whole reason behind the traditional two weeks notice is that most companies schedule people two weeks in advance and this gives them time to just not put you on the next schedule plus a little leeway to find a replacement.

Old 08-01-2018, 04:10 PM

29,521 posts, read 22,668,047 times
Face to face bro, asap.

If he cuts you loose early, who cares, only a few days.

Old 08-01-2018, 04:24 PM

326 posts, read 199,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Face to face bro, asap.

If he cuts you loose early, who cares, only a few days.

I'll add to this and say I read recently that there is no going back to UPS if they let you go. For whatever reason they don't rehire.

Good thing it's only a box flipping job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment