Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 01:36 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,929,140 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 04:56 PM

7 posts, read 4,530 times
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I went in early today and told my boss in person. Just said I was offered a different position that's a better fit for me and apologized for it being such short notice. He was pretty cool about it and congratulated me. I just returned my ID card and went on my way.

Old 08-02-2018, 05:50 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,589,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
In person. Face to face.

Do you both speak the same language? Try using it.

Old 08-02-2018, 05:55 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,105,517 times
I wouldn't really know how to go about voluntarily quitting a job myself. So far, I've only been fired from jobs and forced to find another one to stay on my feet out of desperation.
I've been driving with the current company for close to three years now. While I have found other work, I just find myself mentally unprepared to sever ties in any way with the current outfit.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:34 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,287,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
I wouldn't really know how to go about voluntarily quitting a job myself. So far, I've only been fired from jobs and forced to find another one to stay on my feet out of desperation.
I've been driving with the current company for close to three years now. While I have found other work, I just find myself mentally unprepared to sever ties in any way with the current outfit.
Are these better jobs you are turning down? If so, you need to look at your career long-term. Are you going to be ok if you retire from your current job, are just one of the important things to consider.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:50 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,543,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
Give as much notice as you can and clearly explain your reasoning. I always cared what former employers thought. You never know when you might need a reference and burning bridges isn't the best way to achieve that.

Good luck on your new job. Hope you enjoy it!
That's exactly how I'd put it.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:09 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,105,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
Are these better jobs you are turning down? If so, you need to look at your career long-term. Are you going to be ok if you retire from your current job, are just one of the important things to consider.
I'm just burned out on these lateral moves. A transition into some other career where I make the same amount of money would be grand. But at the same time, a drastic paycut due to taking on education would bankrupt me and render the career change kind of moot.

My only trouble as I've stated in the psych subforums is that I honestly never really had any dreams or passion to chase after. One's that transition into a well paying career anyway.
As for retirement, I'm part of that group that sees it as a myth and there's no end to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment