Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 08:03 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,589,359 times

Advertisements

On moral grounds, I oppose the LGBT lifestyle. A bunch of companies have let workers go just for speaking disapproval, whether in books, making donations to things like Proposition 8, posts on Facebook, etc that oppose the gay/trans lifestyle. I have heard rumors that, in time, perhaps 10 years from now, opposing it and it being known your stance will make you as hireable as a known KKK member or Nazi, and I've not exactly covered my tracks. Now, I'm not belligerent like Westboro, but I do like posts on Facebook and have posted my dissent to LGBT on city-data, Facebook, Twitter, etc and it's possible that a Google search could bring up my name or that colleagues could find out (when I did have a temp job, I did make it a point to NOT friend anyone from work on Facebook just in case someone did find out my views) but one cannot keep up their guard forever.

Do you think that if you are a conservative traditional marriage supporter who doesn't keep their views in the closet that you'd be better suited being self-employed than working for someone else?

BTW, just in case you're wondering, I DO NOT plan to change my views just to make myself more "hireable" if it really would make the difference, as morality trumps culture and popularity. (I thought that I'd point this out so that posts like "Just don't say anything" or stuff like that don't apply to me. I know what COULD happen and I'm wondering how likely it will be to happen.)

BTW, I'm not posting stuff that bashes gay/trans people, just stuff that posts my disapproval of the lifestyle.

It has happened before:

Craig James and Fox Sports: http://dailycaller.com/2015/08/06/co...g-a-christian/

Kelvin Cochran and the city of Atlanta: https://fellowshipoftheminds.com/201...homosexuality/

Peter Vadala and Brookstone: http://www.massresistance.org/docs/g...ala/index.html

Officer Eric Moutsos and the Salt Lake City Police Department: http://www.freetobelieve.com/eric-moutsos

Curt Schilling and ESPN: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/bristol...ired-for-this/

Last edited by MongooseHugger; 08-09-2018 at 08:14 PM..

Old 08-09-2018, 08:11 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,070,917 times
There's a difference between being a conservative traditional marriage supporter and going out of your way to show disapproval of the "other side". I'm the former, but I could care less of what other people do. I wouldn't even think to have a right to tell someone else what to do in their private lives.

As far as your question, stick to small businesses. Most of them are ran by old school guys who feel like you do.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
There's a difference between being a conservative traditional marriage supporter and going out of your way to show disapproval of the "other side". I'm the former, but I could care less of what other people do. I wouldn't even think to have a right to tell someone else what to do in their private lives.

As far as your question, stick to small businesses. Most of them are ran by old school guys who feel like you do.
That had been my thought if I did work side hustles, to stick to small businesses. Most of the ones that are the "Thought Police" that I hear about are large companies.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:24 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,056,537 times
Maybe. Disliking LGBT doesn’t make you part of a protected class, so you can be legally discriminated against. Doesn’t mean you will be, but you legally could be.

I am diametrically opposite of you. On moral grounds, I fully support LGBT people and how they choose to live their lives. Some of my employees are just like you and have a moral objection. I don’t fire, criticize, or otherwise hold their opinions against them. As long as their personal beliefs don’t impact the workplace they can hold whatever ideas they want.

Will your vocal social media opinions harm you one day? Maybe. Some misguided people do scan social media before hiring people.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:34 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,920,137 times
If you're vocal about it, even on social media it will hurt your career, more and more as time goes on given how normal LGBT is today.

Don't talk politics, or give that viewpoint while on the job (I know you said not to give that opinion, but it IS my opinion).

Old 08-09-2018, 08:35 PM

326 posts, read 199,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
On moral grounds, I fully support LGBT people and how they choose to live their lives.
My only issue is the fact most of them go out of their way to broadcast to the world their status. Coming out of the closet... whatever...

Thing is though... nobody cares. Live your life however you want... just remember it's business at work and that's it.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:39 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,056,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvsCruisin View Post
My only issue is the fact most of them go out of their way to broadcast to the world their status. Coming out of the closet... whatever...
Depends what you mean by that. I have a coworker who refers to his husband. Is that going out of the way to broadcast? Do you think it inappropriate for him to bring his husband to the office holiday party?

Quote:
Thing is though... nobody cares. Live your life however you want... just remember it's business at work and that's it.
OP seems to care.

Last edited by fishbrains; 08-09-2018 at 09:27 PM..

Old 08-09-2018, 09:19 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,298,375 times
Why not keep your morals to yourself and do your soul and your career a favor? Your morals are for you, not others.

Old 08-09-2018, 09:25 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,581,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Why not keep your morals to yourself and do your soul and your career a favor? Your morals are for you, not others.
Actually. Read it again. He only wants his morals.

I, for one, hope he can add another link to his post to chart his career crashing and burning. Thought police? OP is the definition of that.

Old 08-09-2018, 09:51 PM

No, no, no, I wouldn't do it on the job unless they made me sign a paper saying I was a LGBT ally or something or if they made me call a him a "her" or a her a "him" (the gender pronoun thing).

It's just that some companies, usually the big ones, will come after you even for what you do on your private life (there was a thread here somewhere on the Work and Employment section about employers looking at Facebook when doing hiring so even my opposition to it on my own time could work against me.)

BTW, it's not just Facebook, even forums or comment things on articles that use the Facebook plugin could still be traced back to you. That's most likely where they'd get me as I have my Facebook profile set to friends only and am in mostly closed political groups (a few are open, though.)

BTW, employers opened that can of worms, not me. First it was Arizona, then Indiana, Arkansas, Missouri, Georgia, North Carolina, Michigan, Louisiana, Texas, etc. If they state that believing basically what I believe is "discrimination" and "does not represent their company values", then would I even be welcome there as an employee if, even on my own time, I posted something supporting those like baker Jack Phillips and believed what he believed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment