Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 05:42 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,251,672 times

Advertisements

larger companies have rules about fair treatment so while you might be allowed to have your opinion, you also can't be fired because of it. It's a 2 way street though, so if you can't work for/with someone who chooses a lifestyle that doesn't agree with you, then you don't deserve to work there.

there was a trans person in our office who was a temp, and while I'm fine with those kinds of choices, I can't deny it was odd to see this person go from male to female. My opinion is it's their life they should be free to choose to do what they want. They are still the same worker as before.

Old 08-12-2018, 08:35 AM

405 posts, read 257,845 times
See, that's why I keep strong opinions on things to forums where I don't use my name. Looking through what some people share on Facebook often changes my opinion of them 180 degrees. HR people are human. If they are vegan (for instance) and see that your FB page is full of posts bashing vegans, they are going to have an instant prejudice against you, whether it's company policy or not. Just as you probably would if you were in that position and saw an applicant posting pictures of him/herself in a gay pride parade.

As a former landlord (I had a duplex), I used to look up applicants on Facebook. I got a pretty clear picture of who they were by their posts. Did I want to live in the same house with someone with extremist views? Nope.

Why I wonder is it so important to be so strident about everything you dislike, and so publicly? Why do so many people have to walk around with a banner over their head proclaiming who they don't like or disagree with?

Last edited by IWLC; 08-12-2018 at 08:47 AM..

Old 08-12-2018, 08:54 AM

5,717 posts, read 4,298,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWLC View Post

Why I wonder is it so important to be so strident about everything you dislike, and so publicly? Why do so many people have to walk around with a banner over their head proclaiming who they don't like or disagree with?

Because some people need to point out that they know the One Right Way. It gives their lives a cause, a meaning, even if they don't see the damage and lack of good it does. It makes them feel righteous.

I wonder OP, how many people have you stopped from being LGBTQ so far? Zero? You might want to focus on your own faults, as that is the proper application of your beliefs and morality.

Old 08-12-2018, 08:58 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,469,850 times
I'm going to keep my personal judgments out of this and stick to the idea of censoring what you say online. I think it's important to realise that everything stays on the internet forever, and if someone has an axe to grind, they will dig up whatever they can to disparage you. You should be prepared to accept full responsibility for anything you say online. That being said...I don't believe in censoring yourself because you are afraid how other people will perceive your comments. As long as you're not coming from a place of cruelty, where you're intending to cause harm, there's nothing you can do if someone is offended by what you say. You are not responsible for how other people feel.

This reminds me of how I was worried about something I'd written in college coming back to haunt me later. My uncle told me not to worry about it and essentially said that I probably wouldn't want to work for an employer who'd hold it against me. And you know what? He was right. I had the misfortune of having a meddling superior Google me and try to use something I wrote about my own personal experience against me. I was infuriated! First, it was just plain creepy that this person made it known they were fishing for information on me, because I didn't share this information with them personally. Then for them to try to turn it into something it wasn't and use it against me because they had nothing else was just scumbag behavior. But it was further proof that this employer and I were just not good for each other, and I'm very thankful for that realization. I don't at all regret what I wrote, and I hope they appreciated my writing skills.

Look at how people tried to use something Michelle Obama wrote in college against her. Why? Because she was otherwise "clean" and wholesome. Human beings are sometimes terrible. And they can turn the most benign thing into something bad if they're inclined to do so. Nothing you can do about it. Just make sure your intentions are coming from the right place.

Old 08-12-2018, 09:55 AM

405 posts, read 257,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
I think it's important to realise that everything stays on the internet forever,

Especially Facebook. It's is basically a platform to display what you want others to think about you. If I was the OP, I'd go back through and delete all posts other than to show what positivity you have. I don't post on there anymore and visit once in a while, but even before that I blocked everyone whose posts were obsessively political (for instance). I mean, jeez, does nothing interesting happen in your day other than what nasty political meme you found funny or ironic that day?

Old 08-12-2018, 10:46 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,499,657 times
Any hiring manager or HR person might find info about you online and choose not to hire you, small company or big company. Might not be due to your anti LGBT stance but possibly for other things you said online.

Even if you are self-employed, future customers could refuse to do business with you due to your online presence and you probably wouldn't realize why they chose a competitor. Seems you are ok with that though.

Future landlords might disregard you as a renter due to your online comments. Could be the case even if they have the same political belief or if they are non-political. Possibly they see arguments and they don't want to deal with someone that's argumentative. Or judgemental. It all depends on what you post online and who sees it.

Old 08-12-2018, 10:55 AM

A landlord in the business of turning a profit is not going to turn away a paying tenant with good credit and rental history because their online comments make them appear "argumentative". If so...I suspect that landlord won't be in business for long.

Old 08-12-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
A landlord in the business of turning a profit is not going to turn away a paying tenant with good credit and rental history because their online comments make them appear "argumentative".
A good landlord does not want a troublesome tenant that argues with the landlord or with other tenants. Some landlords will turn down such tenant, especially if lots of good tenants to choose from.

Old 08-12-2018, 11:00 AM

Do you know such landlords? Because that's skating on "discriminatory behavior" territory. You just can't make arbitrary decisions when you're a business person.

Old 08-12-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Do you know such landlords? Because that's skating on "discriminatory behavior" territory. You just can't make arbitrary decisions when you're a business person.
It's not discriminatory if the reason for turning someone down isn't related to "protected class". Getting off subject here but you can read landlord forums to learn about how they deal with argumentative and A-hole tenants, even when they pay rent on time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment