Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 11:10 AM

5,717 posts, read 4,296,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
It's not discriminatory if the reason for turning someone down isn't related to "protected class". .

Correct. Being morally superior is not a protected class but Trump is working on it.

Probably most employers and landlords would want to avoid social controversy of any kind, unless they are very suportive of your side of the controversy. Conservative religious businesses might jump at the chance to hire the OP.

Old 08-12-2018, 11:31 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,469,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
It's not discriminatory if the reason for turning someone down isn't related to "protected class".
Yeah. God luck explaining how you turned down a tenant with stellar history because you read some comments online and determined they were "argumentative" and would cause you problems. Better make sure those prospective tenants aren't non-white. To be safe.

Old 08-12-2018, 11:38 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,920,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Yeah. God luck explaining how you turned down a tenant with stellar history because you read some comments online and determined they were "argumentative" and would cause you problems. Better make sure those prospective tenants aren't non-white. To be safe.
Explaining to who, exactly?

People falsely accusing other of racism for selfish reasons is always a possibility. If that's the case, document why that person was turned away. Being held hostage by people who will make up racism (or any other discrimination) where there is none is not an acceptable solution.

Last edited by Lekrii; 08-12-2018 at 11:49 AM..

Old 08-12-2018, 12:00 PM

The point is, a landlord should not be basing a business decision on random posts he reads online (why are you snooping on prospective tenants anyway, is my question). The criteria for determining whether to rent should be based on a background check, which generally accounts for credit and rental history. If you find no criminal activity, anything else you use to evaluate a tenant is suspect at best, discriminatory at worst. Based on what some of you post here, I can't believe anyone would hire you or allow you to lead a business. But I don't actually know you, do I? A critically thinking person knows people are more likely to be honest about their views online, where there is *some* anonymity, vs. risking alienating people they know IRL. So for you to actively seek "controversial" information that is immaterial to a decision says more about you and the way you think than it does the other person. And that's what you can't seem to grasp.

Old 08-12-2018, 12:07 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,920,137 times
Quote:
The point is, a landlord should not be basing a business decision on random posts he reads online (why are you snooping on prospective tenants anyway, is my question). The criteria for determining whether to rend should be based on a background check, which generally accounts for credit and rental history. If you find no criminal activity, anything else you use to evaluate a tenant is suspect at best, discriminatory at worse. Based on what some of you post here, I can't believe anyone would hire you or allow you to lead a business. But I don't actually know you, do I? A critically thinking person knows people are more likely to be honest about their views online, where there is *some* anonymity, vs. risking alienating people they know IRL. So for you to actively seek "controversial" information that is immaterial to a decision says more about you and the way you think than it does the other person. And that's what you can't seem to grasp.
You absolutely try to get an idea of what someone's personality is like based on social media before hiring them, bringing them on as tenants, etc. If they are party animals, and you don't want that kind of person as a tenant, you find that in social media. If they are huge bigots, and you don't want to get a reputation of renting to bigoted people, you find that on social media. A background check is not good enough. At the end of the day, it's his or her business. They can base their decisions on whatever they like, as long as they aren't discriminating based on a protected class.

Last edited by Lekrii; 08-12-2018 at 12:29 PM..

Old 08-12-2018, 12:19 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,056,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Explaining to who, exactly?

People falsely accusing other of racism for selfish reasons is always a possibility. If that's the case, document why that person was turned away. Being held hostage by people who will make up racism (or any other discrimination) where there is none is not an acceptable solution.
The best defense against a discrimination complaint is to not discriminate.

Sticking with the workplace subject, my division at work is possible the single most diverse at my workplace. I have more minorities, LGBT staff, diverse political opinions, National origins, and possibly religions than any other group. If somebody ever lodges a discrimination complaint against me, I have the luxury of showing years of non-discriminatory actions in my defense.

Old 08-12-2018, 12:31 PM

405 posts, read 257,748 times
Quote:
The point is, a landlord should not be basing a business decision on random posts he reads online (why are you snooping on prospective tenants anyway, is my question). .

Snooping? Since I had a duplex and I lived in the other half, you can be darn sure if I saw that a person's main interests were partying, that they were loud and foul mouthed, I wouldn't give them a second look. When my own quality of life is at stake, then finding out all I can about them, along with criminal history is very important. That 1/4 acre I live on is the one place I can have some control over what comes into my life.

Old 08-12-2018, 12:45 PM

The post I was referring to said "argumentative" and mentioned online activity. You can always find reasons to justify otherwise discriminatory actions. It's called "pretext" in the legal world. But we are now off-topic. I've said all I needed to on this particular angle.

Old 08-12-2018, 12:57 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,793,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
On moral grounds, I oppose the LGBT lifestyle.
I jsut did a google on myself....There's nothing to show I am also not supporting LGBT lifestyles, but I certainly do not encourage bashing either. To me I have my opinions. If the employer is the type to freak out when an employee farts in a unoccupied room and others hear it...I don't need that kind of employer.

Old 08-12-2018, 01:54 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,683,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
I jsut did a google on myself....There's nothing to show I am also not supporting LGBT lifestyles, but I certainly do not encourage bashing either. To me I have my opinions. If the employer is the type to freak out when an employee farts in a unoccupied room and others hear it...I don't need that kind of employer.
I still haven’t figured out what an “LGBT lifestyle” is. Most of the LGBT people I know do the same things everyone else does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment