Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 02:02 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I still haven’t figured out what an “LGBT lifestyle” is. Most of the LGBT people I know do the same things everyone else does.
I think the OP objects to people who go to the theater.

Stereotypes aside, you are correct. People I know who identify as LGBT have pretty much the same lifestyle is people I know who are straight.

Some live in cities, some live in rural areas. Some are fitness buffs, some are overweight, some like outdoor activities, some don’t. Some are in committed relationships, others are not.

Old 08-12-2018, 02:54 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,090,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
I agree.

I believe that it's when your biases affect how you treat people (co-workers, customers, etc.) while you're in your professional capacity is what concerns employers.
I agree. It doesn't have to be about "accepting" the gender they identify with, it's just calling them what they want to be called out of politeness. If someone wants to be called some nonsensical name that isn't their given name, you probably do it, wouldn't you? Just to avoid conflict and because they asked you to. Same with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post

This doesn't make any sense to me. I do not like snails. But I won't spend all my free time hating on them and writing about them. What a miserable life this is??

I am not gay and I don't have any gay friends currently. LGBT is out of my mind for the most. You could completely ignore their existence, why don't you just do that instead of occupying your mind with them and obsessing over it?
This makes perfect sense too.

I am not gay but have some gay friends (back home; don't get to see them often now ). But I just don't think about it very often.

Another thing to remember if you are a religious person is that making someone else miserable when they're not bothering you is usually frowned upon. Pray for God's best for LGBT people but don't say anything to them that would be considered demeaning or unkind. Don't make someone's life harder for them than it already is.

Old 08-12-2018, 03:19 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,587,826 times
I can safely say that I will NOT be cooperating with calling a him a "her" or a her a "him" nor will I go down looney lane with the ze, te, or whatever goofy pronoun they've invented either. To ignore biology and use made up gender terms just sounds like a bridge too far (BTW, this is true, I bet, even for some pro-gay people, who think that this gender pronoun stuff is nuts.)

Old 08-12-2018, 03:29 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,917,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
I can safely say that I will NOT be cooperating with calling a him a "her" or a her a "him" nor will I go down looney lane with the ze, te, or whatever goofy pronoun they've invented either. To ignore biology and use made up gender terms just sounds like a bridge too far (BTW, this is true, I bet, even for some pro-gay people, who think that this gender pronoun stuff is nuts.)
Why?

It takes literally no effort on your part to call someone what they want to be called. There is no downside to you, and takes no effort on your part to be respectful with what someone prefers to be called.

Old 08-12-2018, 03:34 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Why?

It takes literally no effort on your part to call someone what they want to be called. There is no downside to you, and takes no effort on your part to be respectful with what someone prefers to be called.

I like what the previous person said about not harming those who aren't harming you. You are trying to impose your beliefs on your coworker. If I were an employer and discovered this, I'd absolutely be looking for a way to terminate you. You have no right to impose your way of life on others. You're taking things too far.

Old 08-12-2018, 04:02 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,090,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Why?

You don't have to do it as a gesture of "acceptance," but just out of general politeness and conflict avoidance.

My worry is that when they start coming up with "ze" and other pronouns that it starts to get a little too complicated. I would sincerely try to remember to use the term they preferred, but if someone were to make a big deal about it if I innocently forgot, that would not be okay with me.

Old 08-12-2018, 04:12 PM

5,714 posts, read 4,289,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post

Can you explain why other people's sexual activity or orientation or identification is any of your business? What's your educational background in biology? How do you know what people's genitalia look like? When Bob changes to Roberta or vice versa, how do you know she wasn't Roberta or partly Roberta (using your genitalia definitions) all along?

I know a woman who has a beard, and is easy to mistake for a man and that's all due to biology not surgery or hormone therapy. I suppose you'd bash her because she is superficially ambiguous? Or decide that she shouldn't be lesbian and should live alone the rest of her days, even though few men would be interested in her because of her appearance?

Old 08-12-2018, 04:16 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,896,280 times
It is so awesome to see so many completely rational people on CD makes me happy.

Old 08-12-2018, 05:21 PM

44,359 posts, read 20,063,008 times
This thread has wandered woefully off topic a number of times and was rife with personal attacks and other inappropriate posts. The worst of the inappropriate posts have been deleted. The thread is now closed.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment